Using A Guitar Effect Pedal With FL Studio

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by FrankWhite23, Aug 20, 2023.

1. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

hey guys i'm gonna give you the specs of everything i'm using first
    Windows 10
    RME Babyface pro fs
    Boss Space Echo RE - 202
    Total Mix "audio interface software"
    i've experenced issues with the RME babyface pro fs before it may be user error or the inputs on the right side may be broken inputs 3 and 4 doesn't seem to be getting any signal i remember awhile back i was plugging in 1/4 line inputs from my studio monitors and getting nothing and ended up having too purchase instead of TRS i had to go XLR and i should of resolved it then. i have a TRS going from the mono output of the Boss Space Echo into the Input 3 of my audio interface .. this is correct right? i then go into fl studio and under the mono section of the mixer input browers select Analog 3 (1) but i get nothing i see no signal in total mix either.. does anyone have any ideas on what i could be doin wrong? or am i gonna need to shell out more money for a new audio interface

3. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Probably because those are inputs. You need to connect an output to the monitors.

Yes. I don't know about FL studio, but you should absolutely see something coming in TotalMix. I have the same interface and run external hardware through it from time to time, guitar pedals among them.

If you have an amp or anything you can connect the pedal to see if it's working properly and you're operating it correctly, i'd start with that. Then, see if you can connect the pedal to another input of the interface, ideally one you know is working as intended, even a mic input will do if you have the cable to do that. Just make sure you're looking at the input section of TotalMix (the red one).

Another thing (and this is a long shot). The RE-202 has unbalanced 1/4 outputs, which means it's ment to work with instrument cables and TS connectors. Should work just fine with TRS (tough you might get some extra noise), i'm just mentioning this because there's a particular piece of hardware i tried a few weeks back that did all kinds of crazy shit just because i was using TS instead of TRS at the output. Maybe the RE-202 only operates with TS, idk.

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

It is a Mono output from this Boss device. It should usually be a TS cable (also called instrument cable) because using a TRS cable will result in phase cancellation and very low output signal. Check the manual of the Boss, but this is what I expect you will find. it says TRS but I would try TS anyway. https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/re-202/owners_manuals/

What the quick start manual mentions is this cable:
    Boss BCC-1-3535 3.5mm TRS Type A MIDI Cable - 1 foot

and these also: BMIDI-5-35, BMIDI-1-35. Good news is your interface is very unlikely to be your problem.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
  5. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

It would if the ring connected to something in the RE-202's output. Assuming it's an standard female TS, the ring of a TRS connector should connect to nothing.

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

you can pull the cable out of the Boss one click and it will do the same thing. but you don't want to hook anything up like that permanently.

7. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Ok I got sound atleast and could hear the unit so what I had to do was plug the input from the space echo to the output of the audio interface and the output of the space echo into the input of the audio interface .. only issue now is I had to use my headphone out.. which is a huge issue .. I should of knew better but at the time I didn't plan on doing stuff outside of my DAW .. I have a moog matriarch coming Monday and I wanted to connect them to my moog.. will that all work via USB? Or am I still gonna need more I/O's? What is a good extender I can get that I can connect adat to my RME babyface pro fs? I want it to run into the RME babyface and have that as my internal clock and handle all the conversations.. I just need more I/O's

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

the Matriarch is going to want a TS cable also. You connect the Moog to your computer via USB or standard 5pin DIN midi cable. Audio from the Moog to your RME with a TS 1/4" cable.

What do you need the ADAT for? If you want to start doing more complex outboard hardware stuff like this, it's probably time to start looking around for a new DAW.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Yes I apologize they are 1/4 patch cables..

Attached Files:

10. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Ya I atleast got a signal now.. but I have a moog matriarch and a kali audio sub that's on its way.. and I don't know if I'll be able to connect everything to just this audio interface

11. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Attached Files:

12. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Well because I'm out of Inputs and outputs I'm using my headphone output right now just to hear what the space echo sounds like

13. clone

clone Audiosexual

the sub will be connected how your monitors are now. you send from the audio interface to the sub, and then the sub out to the monitors. that is most common configuration for home users. it lets you control the monitors and the sub all with the same master volume. your sub will probably have its own volume control you can use to set it's volume in relation to the monitors.

you can send audio in to the Matriarch via a 1/8" cable to the filter in, vca in, and some other patch points. then that audio just goes out it's normal output.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
  14. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

I'll probably need 2 inputs though right since it's stereo? I only have 3 patch cables and 2 guitar pedals

15. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

I just wanted to thank you guys for explaining things to me .. I'm reading and learning as much as I can via YouTube and forums .. I have a pretty solid learning disability so it takes me alittle longer to understand things that are super simple to others

16. clone

clone Audiosexual

you have to look at your subwoofer, but you will definitely need more cables. you need a stereo pair out of the interface to the sub, and another stereo pair from the sub to your monitors. It depends on what sub you get, but the few kali subs I looked at are :
    • Input Types:2 x XLR-1/4" combo, 1 x Dual RCA Stereo
    • Output Types:2 x XLR
    I was expecting an RCA out pair also. These two cables need to be XLR output from the sub to your monitors, and then whatever your monitors take as inputs. XLR or RCA most commonly. The cable from your RME's outputs to the sub, so those can be XLR or RCA. XLR probably better anyway.

You need 2 instrument cables for the matriarch to output in "l/r stereo" to the rme. the matriarch manual says the main out jacks can do either TS or TRS. I think you should get this portion of it all working correctly and then add other things. Wait until you have this working and verified it. the pedals will add confusion before they make it any easier to setup.

17. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I ran out of inputs going into my RME UCX II. I know better...to always have more than you think you need, but I ______ (insert lame excuse). The Drumbrute Impact, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Polybrute and Empress Echosystem ate up my usual holes so I fired up the old 48kHz top sampling rate Presonus Digimax LT through to the UCX II by way of ADAT and again have some spare holes. It's just a stopgap measure until I get something with the ability to record at 96 kHz 'cause that's the new thing for me. I'm not going go expensive, just 96kHz.

You could get away with using a small mixer and to hook up things and pass them to the Babyface if not everything needs to play at once.

18. clone

clone Audiosexual

I don't run my Moog thru any outboard fx at all. I think you should spend a decent amount of time with the Matriarch before doing a lot of pedal use. For one, because it's going to sound so damn good to start with. But also because it's not going to be a simple synth to learn just because it is analog. You should first learn how to zero the Moog out to it's default state. There are quite a few ways to make it have "no output" at all. By putting other devices into the signal chain, you could confuse yourself more.

Figure out the hardwired patching first without cables. Then patching with cables, like a modular. Going into the pedals will be almost it's own thing if they are mono. I'd rather get the output of the moog recorded as cleanly as possible into the computer and then add fx as necessary, where outboard fx can begin degrading it's audio quality. until thats what you intend to do with them.

19. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Thank you for the advice I definitely planned on spending time really learning everything from the ground up.. it was more for making sure I can do all the things I eventually wanna do in the end

20. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Definitely agree I wanted to be able to use the guitar pedals with or without the Moog.. I'm getting pretty decent at sample making so it would be nice to add something different to the mix once in awhile

21. clone

clone Audiosexual

you probably won't make many samples. it's better to build a patch for the track/song you are working on, and then leave it until you need to bounce/record it in. you will want to work with it on your desk so everything is physically accessible. they are big/heavy, probably take up most of your desk; and you don't really want to bounce it around a whole lot unless you have to.

this video is made for the Grandmother, but they are very similar reset all controls steps. the first time "no sound and I have tried everything. It's broken!!" happens, the answer is always in that procedure. you should get it: https://www.macprovideo.com/video/moog-grandmother-101-explained-and-explored

you could find a dl copy of it floating around.