useless "Snake Oil" vst's

Discussion in 'Software' started by sms2000, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

That and any digitalized audio bit. From MP3 to flac. All snake oil. Just code. Not music at all.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Manta

Manta Member

:rofl: Yep, all snake oil to my ears :rofl:

3. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

This thread is snake oil. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. mp5

mp5 Producer

If you consider 96 kbps multiply re-encoded digital mish-mash 'music' it is very good for you. Music's everywhere.

5. mp5

mp5 Producer

After some developers' ads, I begin to doubt if my ears are snake oil.

6. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

andrew scheps mixing metallica's death magnetic and awarded greatest mixing engineer - snakeoil

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Until ABX testing. How many tests people win/won?
    But who cares. Music industry makes money with music made with vsts converted down to mp3. Especially in our country. I watch those videos: "downloaded pirated vst, downloaded sample, nexus, vengeance, sylenth1, fruityloops with stock synths from torrent, and now let see how i wrote this shitty hit which is number 1 and will be another 1 year or 2" and people like this EDM pop shit with primitive simple deep house bass, beat loop sample, some pad, lead and piano + autotuned vocals. It is interesting that antipiracy in our country doesn't work at all. And people sell their pirated-software-made instrumental tracks with premade sample loops and primitiveness. And earn fucking great money and become rich superstars or top edm producers or digital mastering engineers.

Now let's fucking talk about aliasing, snake oil stuff, stock plugins, super expensive hardware and how you dupe your country and laws and earn big money with that.

Easy to think, that only we care about these analog nuances, SRC, dithering, lossless, hi res, compare hype snake oil vs great quality.
    They do big money. Neither they nor listeners care about sounds, analogness. Car subwoofers attract chicks, so it is good. More bass, more pump,more groove, not harmonics and true vibes of gear.

It is a digital epoch, where further generations will not see/hear vinyl, tape, tube preams, eqs, even CDs... They will only remember edm, computers, plugins, mp3, earbuds, subwoofers. Nobody cares.

All these digital vs analog vs snake oils debates are becoming garbage.
    The actual thread will be soon: who to earn money - producing rock or edm or hip hop or jazz, gadgets or garbage gear
    Everything is changing. Slowly. But it is true. Shitty AI mastering appears also etc.

Snake oils, by the way, in right hands may sound best.

Sad facts but true. Maybe something is not so bad until something new appears. Like AI oscillators for synths to make deep house, Click and you there, same with leads, etc. ETC ETC. Doesn't work maybe for now, but nowadays technology are not as it was before. Some 90s best plugins are now snake oil, today snake oil new stuff are in worst hands who don't buy it and earn money. Not debating this shit like we.

8. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

I hope music also is a bit more to you than the bitrate. :no:

9. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Hey, don't get carried away, YT aswell as Soundcloud provide at least high quality 128kbps mp3. [​IMG]

10. No Avenger

IIRC it was the mastering which was so awful. I doubt that anyone of us had the chance to listen to the mix.

11. mp5

mp5 Producer

Yes, if I can hear any of it. On Youtube it sounds more like the noise of sipping sand.

12. mp5

mp5 Producer

If you use any spectral analysis tool you'll discover tons of snake oil everywhere (including file servers which charge downloads. Even most 'FLAC' files they offer are in fact lossy re-encoded mp3s). 90% of YouTube is @96 kbps (with practically all reencoded at least once - from mp3 to aac). The 'HQ' ones are just still miserable @128. There is no 'high quality' 128 kbps, even 320 kbps mp3 is junk. 128 kbps mp3 contains less than 1/8 of information contained in original WAV file (and 320 contains about 1/4). Not to mention lossy /sometimes more than once/ re-encoding which ruins them additionally.
    Also 90% of radio streams are @96 kbps (many @64, and some even @32), no matter the stream bitrate nominally declared. Digital TV is mostly @64 kbps.
    People who admire mp3 @128 most probably use desktop speakers or mobile phones for reproduction.:dont:

13. No Avenger

[​IMG] You didn't get the irony.

Err, nope. It's extremely difficult, even if not impossible, to distinguish these.

14. mp5

mp5 Producer

Well, that might depend on one's ears. A pro can definitely immediately hear the difference between mp3@320 and the original WAV, as well as you can hear the difference between 16/44.1 WAV and 24/44.1 WAV. But I must admit I met some pro musicians who can not (but on low quality gear though).

15. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

[​IMG]

16. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

I definetely want to hear the result of a null test. I'am not sure what you want to hear there. :woot:
    @No Avenger you are the pro for this. Give it to me. :disco:

17. mp5

mp5 Producer

I don't know what you classify as a 'result'. The audible differences may be defined only by metaphors such as 'definition', 'details', 'transients'', 'clarity', 'depth' all which is better (closer to 'natural' - or the 'original sound') in the examples I gave before. Anyway, this is what you hear. If one can not hear those differences, he is in fact unfit for audio engineering jobs.

18. No Avenger

Aha, now tell me by listening to it where I used the wav and where 320kbps mp3:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=19ah8Grl9sJQUlKjSG8ZB7OtkHeIjqOGL

The null test 'failed' in this example, but does that really matter?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  19. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  20. Placeholder

Placeholder Ultrasonic

The Noveltech stuff from Plugin Alliance. Not gonna lie, a lot of Plugin Alliance stuff just isn't really good at all.