useless "Snake Oil" vst's

Discussion in 'Software' started by sms2000, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

many swear on that little thingy

2. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

So, "fun" involves not getting along? :mad: Haha. Maybe take a leaf out of the book, re. taking yourself too seriously.
    Sitting here with two friends from Brooklyn, and my manager from Long Island, laughing our heads off at this!
    I guess you aren't successful enough yet to know the fam.:rofl:

3. Smoove Grooves

Haha. But that's the joke! He's never used it; he just says that's what it is!:rofl:
    Wytse has called multiple different tracks by that same name.
    One time, he said "This is the secret vocal from Sandstrom by Darude, that wasn't on the released, instrumental version". All whilst keeping a straight face!
    If you've ever heard Sandstorm, you'll know why it would be pointless to test gear with it! lol.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  4. Clayton123

Clayton123 Producer

I think it's unfair to hate a plugin because the crack doesn't work. I have gotten some working cracks over the years but I ended up doing the rent to own from Splice. It's literally $10 a month for a year and you have the full working Serum with all the updates, access to the xfer forum and everything. And it's $10 a month!

5. Clayton123

Clayton123 Producer

Really? Very interesting. I personally LOVE the smarteq. It's perfect for me for brightening things (mainly vocals) without making them harsh. It does take a decent amount of tweaking of the parametric eq but I love it.

6. Clayton123

Clayton123 Producer

I really just liked Neutron for the masking EQ, but now that Pro Q 3 does it, I don't really use Neutron anymore.

7. Clayton123

Clayton123 Producer

I know it's weird but I actually LOVE the sound of BIAS Amp. ALthought I do use it for weird stuff like vocals and drums and synths and not really guitars haha.

8. Smoove Grooves

@Clayton123 Why flood the thread when you could have put all those comments in one?

9. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

succesful...lol.....time and freedom are luxuryry...and good food nowadays...i tell you what i piss on my house my boat society...
    yeah you seem to be very harmonic and full of fun over there , so you do group hopping thru forums over there , cause it great thing to do in new york..eh eh
    so now we all kno you hopping from UK to US woohhooo...

and you take it out of context all the time..just bite a bit from thread and troll on..same bout that flac comment in other thread...

AND fo sho comments are always meant TOTAL , no they not....

and fo sho its good for forums to have fear to express impressions...impressions....impressions which another real new yorker from thread here , could empathize...
    -----
    --
    :wtf:
    ----

how bout sharing a audio related stuff from you vacation instead of ....

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  10. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I knew it's supposed to be it, but I don't know if they are really the same.
    Mastering and stepping is correct, but Analog does nothing.
    Every high shelf boost raises every freq above it's starting point. You can call it 1mHz too, then.

Didn't expect that it could be so difficult to understand.
    Since I'd need a different version of ReaEq to work with PluginDoctor, I'll show you a comparison to TDR Nova and adjusted the output according to this post of mine https://audiosex.pro/threads/useless-snake-oil-vsts.49972/page-2#post-421993

[​IMG]

Since I can raise the freq by 50% even at 44,1kHz SR, would you all call it 60kHz band, then?

11. Smoove Grooves

Hehe. You plonker! They're in the UK with me! Why the hell would I want to go to NY?
    Anyway, I thought it was you who was in NY at the moment?:
    Sorry, but your comment does flow like that's what you were saying! And if you're saying that about even NY state in general, it's strange, is all.

12. Smoove Grooves

:dunno:

13. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

This assumption is wrong. What defines snake oil is saying a code does something that it actually doesn't do. Nothing more and nothing less. Like saying a code is emulating an amp circuit when in reality the dev just adds some noize to the signal (hello Waves Analog Button).

We are all aware what analog means and what digital means. By the way: everything in this universe is quantized according to Max Planck - it's just that digital has a much lower resolution/sample rate than that of Plancks Law.

14. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

:hahaha: :like:

:like:

15. mp5

mp5 Producer

Yes, but the scale from a single quanta to some macroscopic object (like a 1m sound wave) is ~10-35. According to Leibniz, it is therefore infinitesimal, i.e. so immeasurably or incalculably small that it is of no importance at all (as if non-existent).
    In other words, imagine a PCM wave with
    10 followed by 35 zeroes Hz sampling rate, on a human scale you can absolutely consider it 'analogue'.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  16. mp5

mp5 Producer

I was talking about situation where transforming digital into 'analogue' is advertised as something that a particular code does. And it actually doesn't. So it is a snake oil, quite in accordance with your definition.

17. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Actually i think it a misunderstanding due to practical application vs. reality.
    It is a word game, in a way, but since what we are doing here IS the word game (practical application) I think you are the most right.
    It is just that the technical aspect of practical audio application pushes hard into "reality".
    But leaving the plank length stuff aside, it is snake oil. Snake oil is not in the realm of crazy physics.
    If it is, then everything BUT crazy physics is snake-oil our perceptions and the perceptions allowed by our limited equipment.
    I do not have room for a particle accelerator in my home studio.

18. Manta

Manta Member

Everything 'in the box' is snake oil, its just one's and zero's, no real eq, no real compressor, no real sequencer, no real synth, etc..

19. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Well, this is about claims vs. what it really does.
    If it does not claim to be analog hardware and just says it emulates or simulates analog, that is not a "snake-oil" claim.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Yeah, the music on YouTube also is no real music.

Thats great. :hahaha: