Use OpenSSH plugs without modifying system

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by John Trumble, May 31, 2015.

1. Grandy

Grandy Member

i duplicated openssh libstdc and now i have two of the same but with different names: libstcd++.6.0.9.dylib and libstcd++.6.dylib and can use most of the plugins :)

2. bluetoy69

bluetoy69 Member

So what file name you actually replaced in plugin and host? libstdc++.6.dylib to libstcd++.6.dylib (i.e. original ssh libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib duplicated and renamed) ?

3. spaddu

spaddu Member

What host are you using? Also do have an alias for the "libstcd++.6.dylib" or are your plugins aiming straight to the actual dylib file (still not sure if it's the aliases which are messing my system from time to time)?

4. GeminiCount

GeminiCount Member

Does this method survive the recent OS X update?

5. Hades

Hades Kapellmeister

Thats an awesome method !!
    One question : Can someone upload for me an unmodified "libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib" for yosemity 10.10.3 ? Due a stupid mistake i lost the original one :-(
    Thank you in advance for your help !
    @ Gemini : i don´t think a update will affect this method beause you just relink to a modified binarie where you choose the path.

update: i found the original one in my backup ! And found out that the modofied one affect sometimes my videoplayback in firefox.....when i put the original one back the problem is gone. Maybe this is helpful for someone.

6. bluetoy69

bluetoy69 Member

Finally I had no success with 10.10.3. Anybody got it working on the latest os with Logic X ?

7. SOURLITO

SOURLITO Newbie

I don't mean to sound like an idiot, i am new to this kinda of stuff. I am working with snow leopard pro tools 10.3.10 openssh. It works fine but when followed openssh instruction for softube, lx480 complete etc. Reason 5 stopped working. I stumbled on this post but i'm afraid i haven't been successful. I wonder if some1 can walk me thru it. I know how to open contents etc. but when its time to do the steps in terminal it doesn't work for me. Also i read somewhere else that some1 changed the name of the openssh dylib then installed in the usr but left in original and all is working including reason. I ereally dont want to try that, because when i have messed around and tried to install dylib computer froze and when i tried to restart it stayed stuck on apple screen. Then i had to do a clean install and reinstall everything again, don't want to go thru that hassle again.

8. SOURLITO

SOURLITO Newbie

Can u walk me thru the process, I know how to locate the file that is hidden and content of plugin but when i just drop openssh crack in reason 5 stops working

9. noise.maker

noise.maker Platinum Record

Reason 5 dependent of original libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib, Adobe Premiere, Aftereffects, Audition.

10. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Ultrasonic

I would love a concise explanation for this fix.. Since its kinda spread through this topic it's a bit confusing what is working, and with what tools, etc… Any help would be appreciated.
    :grooves:

11. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Yeah, I keep rereading what's been posted here and I feel like I'm about 95% percent ready to give it a shot. I don't really care about using the plugs so much, I really just want to give it a go because I've never done anything like this, and figure it'll be an interesting learning exercise. One nice, compiled set of concise instructions and I'm in - but when I try to make my own based on the various posts here there are a few gaps and/or leaps that are slightly beyond my current understanding. Conceptually I get what's being proposed here, it's the precise steps of execution that I'm still 100% on.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. erolz

erolz Member

Hi,

Could someone please explain step-by-step how to use the openshh cracks together with legal ilok licenses? This thread is kinda confusing ;)
    Thanks a lot!

13. Hans242

Hans242 Producer

Erolz, actually I had nothing else to do than replacing the dylib file. All my legit iLok plugs have been running smoothly right after replacing the file. Users only reported problems with Adobe products like Audition and ProTools if I remember correctly. This thread is mainly about not replacing the dylib but only referring the modified dylib file in the desired plugins and leaving the original system file untouched.

14. erolz

erolz Member

Hi, Thanks mate. Just to be sure, what are the exact steps to leave the original system file untouched?

15. Hans242

Hans242 Producer

I'm sorry I can't tell you because I modified my system file and didn't try this seemingly complicated method. I wonder if anyone has completed this successfully. :dunno:

16. erolz

erolz Member

thanks
    anyone else maybe?

17. artattack

artattack Ultrasonic

Hello all. So I've wondered if this method could work and gave it a try. Now I have LX480 working on Studio One v2 (OS X 10.9.5)!

Important note: For this method to work you have to patch both the plugin file and the DAW

What I made was:

1. Changed the name of openssh's libstdc to libstXX++.6.0.9.dylib and altered it (please use my attached lib - 10.9.5 or do as the user Manta correctly described if your OS version is different):

Go to the openssh dylib file for your system, change in a hex editor (I used Hex Friend) the name libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib to libstXX++.6.0.9.dylib and save this file to your usr/lib/ folder

2. Copied that lib to /usr/lib using the terminal app:
    sudo cp -p libstXX++.6.0.9.dylib /usr/lib

3. Linked the lib to the name "6" as the original lib (terminal):
    cd /usr/lib
    ln -s libstXX++.6.0.9.dylib libstXX++.6.dylib

4. Now it's time to patch the plugin. Go to the plugins folder (/library/audio/plug-ins/components) and right_click the .component (or .vst) you want to patch (in my case was LX480Complete x64.component). Choose the option "Open with -> Terminal".

5. Then navigate to the folder Contents/MacOS and read the plugin dependencies (terminal)
    cd contents/MacOS
    otool -L <your plugin file> (in my case otool -L LX480Complete\ x64)

NOTE: when the file name has space(s) like the above you should put a "\" character before each space

The output of the otool command was the following (note that the default system libstdc is a dependency for the Plugin as shown in the output):

LX480Complete x64:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Versions/A/AudioToolbox (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/AudioUnit.framework/Versions/A/AudioUnit (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 44.0.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Carbon (compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 152.0.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudio (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.9.0)
    /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 103.0.0)
    /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 123.0.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation (compatibility version 150.0.0, current version 550.0.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 38.0.0)

6. Let's patch it! Just execute the following command:
    install_name_tool -change /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib /usr/lib/libstXX++.6.dylib LX480Complete\ x64

7. Let's now confirm that the library was patched into the plugin (note that now it shows our "xx" library instead of the system "dc" library)!
    otool -L LX480Complete\ x64

LX480Complete x64:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Versions/A/AudioToolbox (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/AudioUnit.framework/Versions/A/AudioUnit (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 44.0.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Carbon (compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 152.0.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudio (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    /usr/lib/libstXX++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.9.0)
    /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 103.0.0)
    /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 123.0.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation (compatibility version 150.0.0, current version 550.0.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 38.0.0)

Now we should repeat this process in our DAW executable file (it also needs to be patched). In my case it's Studio One 2. Make a backup of your .app folder before beginning, right? :)

8. Navigate to you DAW folder in Terminal:
    cd /applications/Studio\ One\ 2.app/

9. Then navigate to the folder Contents/MacOS and read the plugin dependencies (terminal)
    cd contents/MacOS
    otool -L <your DAW executable> (in my case otool -L studioapp)

The output of the otool command was the following (note that the default system libstdc is a dependency for the DAW as shown in the output):

studioapp:

/usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib (compatibility version 0.9.8, current version 47.2.0)
    @executable_path/libipp.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    @executable_path/../Frameworks/cclgui.framework/Versions/A/cclgui (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    @executable_path/../Frameworks/cclsystem.framework/Versions/A/cclsystem (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    @executable_path/../Frameworks/ccltext.framework/Versions/A/ccltext (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    @executable_path/../Frameworks/cclnet.framework/Versions/A/cclnet (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    @executable_path/../Frameworks/cclsecurity.framework/Versions/A/cclsecurity (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Cocoa (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 19.0.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Versions/A/Security (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 55179.13.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 275.0.0)
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 56.0.0)
    /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 169.3.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation (compatibility version 150.0.0, current version 744.19.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation (compatibility version 300.0.0, current version 945.18.0)
    /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 228.0.0)

10. Let's patch it! Just execute the following command:
    install_name_tool -change /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib /usr/lib/libstXX++.6.dylib studioapp

11. Let's confirm that the library was patched into the DAW (note that now it shows our "xx" library instead of the system "dc" library)!

otool -L studioapp

studioapp:

/usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib (compatibility version 0.9.8, current version 47.2.0)
    @executable_path/libipp.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    @executable_path/../Frameworks/cclgui.framework/Versions/A/cclgui (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    @executable_path/../Frameworks/cclsystem.framework/Versions/A/cclsystem (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    @executable_path/../Frameworks/ccltext.framework/Versions/A/ccltext (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    @executable_path/../Frameworks/cclnet.framework/Versions/A/cclnet (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    @executable_path/../Frameworks/cclsecurity.framework/Versions/A/cclsecurity (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Cocoa (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 19.0.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Versions/A/Security (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 55179.13.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 275.0.0)

/usr/lib/libstXX++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 56.0.0)
    /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 169.3.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation (compatibility version 150.0.0, current version 744.19.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation (compatibility version 300.0.0, current version 945.18.0)
    /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 228.0.0)

Now try it!

This is not a very complicated procedure, but it will make you sweat if you are not used to work in the terminal app.

The thing is that you need to edit the lib with an Hex editor and then execute several commands.

If you think I should detail more I can do it.

Cheers!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List

Attached Files:

18. Kyrad

Kyrad Ultrasonic

wicked m8, thx

19. gilgameshone

gilgameshone Member

I know enough to get myself in trouble (e.g. I've got a hacked version of 10.9 running on my 1st gen Mac Pro, despite Apple's best laid plans) but agree with those who feel this particular mod to be above our pay grade. That said, I love how inventive this community is, and appreciate the efforts of its members.

20. dim_triad

dim_triad Producer

can someone confirm that the only legit plugins that will now work after using openssh's lib file is adobe and PT?

Cuz I got SOundtoys, some Duende, some Flux, and a Phoenix Verb... and want to use them AND openssh.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015