Use one midi keyboard on two PC

Discussion in 'Studio' started by nikon, Mar 16, 2013.

1. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Just want to share, maybe help someone :)

I have W7 workstation and MacBook which I also use as a workstation in bed, toilet :), travel etc...

On my W7 I use M-audio soundcard 2496 which has regulary 1x MIDI IN 1x MIDI OUT, and I buy on eBay cheap USB midi cable...

My keyboard midi out is on IN MIDI on audiophile with DIN connectors... when I want to use midi keyboard on my MacBook i must change cables from keyboard, and switch to USB cable etc... and because keyboard is under table it's a little complicated...

Today I try this:

MIDI KEYBOARD OUT -> M-AUDIO 2496 MIDI IN (for use on W7)

M-AUDIO 2496 MIDI OUT -> USB MIDI CABLE IN -> USB CONNECTION TO MACBOOK (for use on Macbook)

Everythings work, and you don't need to setup anything on PC... it must be on, thats all.

This is cheap version. On other forums people suggest of buying MIDI THRU ROUTER, but its around 60EUR... This USB midi cable is around 5$ on eBay, and work very well.

see on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-USB-TO-MIDI-CABLE-KEYBOARD-ADAPTOR-PC-XP-VISTA-MAC-/190410997530?pt=UK_Musical_AudioMIDI_Interfaces&hash=item2c55613f1a

3. ghostinthemachine

ghostinthemachine Newbie

Although this doesn't apply to me one bit, I think its cool that you posted anyway. Its all about helping each other out, stay real Nikon :bow:

4. alexbart

alexbart Producer

or you can use copperlan which is free software and all you need is that your computers are on the same network.

5. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

a.bart - What"s the latency like with 'copperlan'?

6. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

After some time I see that I have installed something, probably with some software - that midi thru utility, and after a month cleaning my PC that posibility has gone :)

Search and search... maybe LoopBe is installed but I uninstall...

But, after all I found very light utility (FREE) by MusicLab, and is called MIDI Connection Center

(just connect actually midi in to midi out)

http://ftp.musiclab.com/download.html

Work perfect and you may using it as you need.

7. clem

clem Member

Those $5 eBay MIDI cables will usually work fine as long as you just use them for MIDI notes and minor controller usage. Try throwing a sysex at it and see how quickly it chokes. I've had many people bring me their bricked devices because they tried to do a firmware update with one of these cables. If a MIDI interface doesn't come with drivers expect problems in the future. The stock Microsoft driver is faulty in that it only allows to send/receive 256 bytes in a single event.