USB vs PCIe Audio Interfaces?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by ArticStorm, Aug 18, 2021.

1. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

You do know that on a PC MIDI started on16550UART and was crap and to make it work with badly calculated floating points they had to make it Universal. It was crap... Opcode did it exceptionally with precision mathematics when it wasn't and did what Intel should have. If you think it is the same... you'll believe anything.
    If you do not know the difference between MIDI latency and audio latency, maybe do some research.
    If you think the speed down the line makes no difference in MIDI latency, definitely do some research. If you think it has no impact.... sheesh...

2. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

Thunderbolt 4 is actually developed already :winker:

3. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

I can't wrap my head around how many wrong thing have been said in this thread about USB… it's incredible.

UBC C = refers to a connector type, not he underlying data transfer protocol usesd to address this connector or rather the device it is connected . This purely is decided by the USB Controller it's connected to on the board. If you have a shitty mainboard this will prpobably only use USB 2 to 3. If you have a great board it can utilize USB 3.2 which provides 10 gigabit/s throughput.

So if there's an increase in latency, the USB C connector is not to blame, but the underlying implementation of the USB protocol is to blame

PCIE still ist the faster connection with lower latencies. So, if you know which card you want and you know why you wnat it, use PCIE. If your are more into convenience, you will be fine with USB.

4. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

@BEAT16 - There is some speculation that it can go to 60, but the bare minimum at 40 is really good. As we all have come to expect, hardware around it both on mainboards, CPU's etc will change and accelerate further from their current speeds in the next batch of CPU's and MB's, so it's quite reasonable to anticipate the maximum Gbps of Thunderbolt 4 will go quite a bit higher than its minimum speed. :)

6. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Money can be made with the new standards. Then there will definitely be DDR 5 and then the users will be told that they have to buy it. Maybe they'll find a few idiots who invest their hard-earned money in their products. We already have a Porsche and don't need a Ferrari.

7. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

The made the movie and game Need for Speed also as a social comment. More often than not, humankind continues trying to get faster and faster to the point half of the technology either has not caught up, or they still have not worked out what to do with what they already have before they try and make it faster.

8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hello @weesch, what do you want to connect? Do you have an ADAT? Do you have an Audiointerface?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  9. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

10. jon.dough.1991

jon.dough.1991 Producer

here are a bunch of pics of my RME HDSP 9632 inserted into a Startech PCi2PciExpress into the pci-e slot of a Z370 mobo worked fine until a couple of days ago , i decided to get a Babyface usb - working perfectly till now , so i could use my rme hdsp 96632 in my old Phenom 965be pc and besides usb in juzz two minutes ASIO RME working drivers installed and i can use it instantly with any desktop or laptop that comes my way ,mackie mixers on some lenovo laptop at some local festival or techno club , in two minutes i install drivers and have some decent stable ASIOdrivers for my live set

as you can see breakout cables are fully functioning except for the spdif input-output , unfortunately in a Fractal Design 5 case without any modz it is unusable-hidden

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

what happened?

12. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

I decide to buy an USB3.1 audio interface, i mean i have here an external HDD with USB3.0 connected, makes easily 80+MB/s (~600Mbit/s) - i also keep in my mind that we are talking a physical medium here with the HDD.

but alone the 80MB/s seem to buy more than enough to transport audio from interface to the DAW and back.

What im a bit worried about is that maybe USB in windows 10 might be bugged sometimes?! But i have to check it, i mean on a normal day :D
    this has always worked fine.

And i mean the USB audio interface seems to be an even better solution as the PCi card, its portable and just better than any adapter making my old M-Audio Audiophile work, which is very old now.

Again thanks for the discussion and thoughts.

13. lemuriano

lemuriano Newbie

I would like to know if there is any latency difference using a dedicated PCI lane using this kind of card, any info about it?

14. jon.dough.1991

jon.dough.1991 Producer

nothing ,rme hdsp 9632 is still working fine , i just removed it from my z370 gigaybyte aorus mobo and have put it back in my old phenom x965 pc with a gigabyte mobo that has pci slots so i can use it as i did , all these years out of fear that one day my rmd hdsp 9632 might break or burn out i wanted to get a usb soundcard so i got a babyface pro fs with loan instalment $100 for 6 months for my new pc

startech pci to pci-express works fine , juzz now i put it in box until i need it again

15. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

Right. RME hdsp is such a wonderful product for all these years and still strong. RME all the way!
    They still support a 20years old produt

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. jon.dough.1991

jon.dough.1991 Producer

yes still after 15 years i still have up to date drivers for my RME Hammerfall System for windows 10 and win11 (stay away from it -win11- for a couple of years) 64 bit and updates for 32bit win xp and win 7 ,

17. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

RME all the way. I have a Babyface Pro FS and the drivers are rock solid. The neutral sounding converters are decent too.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. jon.dough.1991

jon.dough.1991 Producer

the only thing missing some multiple instrument in-outs , i have 5 hardware synths , a supernova I a waldorf microwave xt a radias r , a virus ti2 thankfully transmits audio via usb but its not analogue , so essentially if i want to record simultaneously waldorf xt , korg radias-also virtuall analogue or drummachine electron but only line out audio output and supernova synth i have to use a mixer ............anyone can you tell me the best mixer to not lose analoguesness of these synths or real sound , im using a mackie [​IMG] atm

, Mackie 1604 VLZ4 and connect its main output witth all my 5 synths connected to it , and an Electron drumachine uw1 , makes 6 ,to my daw pc input babyface input, am i getting the real sound ?

19. dondada

dondada Rock Star

you are focusing on the wrong thing
    thunderbolt right now only uses 4 lanes of PCIe

Data Rate: PCIe (3.0)x1 = 1000MB/s, PCIe 2.0 = 500MB/s, PCIe 1.1 = 250MB/s.
    Data Rate: PCIe (3.0)x4 = 4000MB/s = 40Gbs =TB4
    Data Rate: PCIe (4.0)x1 = 2000 MB/s
    USB4= max 20GBs
    USB3= max 10GBs

a comprehensive article about it
    Article about TB
    Article about PCIe

20. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I recommend a USB audio interface with an ADAT connection.
    Your Yamaha digital mixer 01V96i have a : Digital I/O - ADAT (8-in/8-out), 2tr in/out.
    Put the ADAT Cable from the Yamaha Mixer into into the Audient iD 14 MKII.

Audient iD14 MKII (209 €)
    - combined ADAT and S / PDIF input (TOSLINK)
    - 10in | 6out Audio Interface
    https://audient.com/products/audio-interfaces/id14/overview/ and www.thomann.de/de/audient_id14_mkii.htm

[​IMG]

Audient iD44 USB-C Interface (555 €)
    https://audient.com/products/audio-interfaces/id44/overview/
    - 2 x ADAT inputs + outputs - World clock output
    - 20in | 24out Audio Interface

https://audient.com/products/audio-interfaces/id44/overview/ and www.thomann.de/de/audient_id44.htm