USB vs PCIe Audio Interfaces?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by ArticStorm, Aug 18, 2021.

1. jon.dough.1991

jon.dough.1991 Producer

for the past 2 years i have been using a Startech PCI to PCiExpress card

[​IMG] on a gigabyte z390 ,i9 9900k cpu new at the time with 128gb ram to connect my legacy RME HDSP 9632 , Asio Drivers still working f.awesome in Win10, RME still releasing drivers for obsolete card , during first instalation had to change a pci-e setting in bios cant remember what, unfortunately because im using a Fractal Design Box i lose the rigthmost spdif output but doesnt matter cause i dont use it for my inputs outputs

however i am thinking lately to bite the bullet and grab a Babyface Pro FS , has phantom power for my mic , can power my Beyerdynamics 900ohm headphones on usb power , usb 2 - works fine even on ancient pc, good RME drivers as always, no more remove/add card hustle whenever i wanna try a new pc build , good to carry with you if you wanna work at some friends laptop or anything, gonna buy it on credit 100$ per month, a worthwhile investment from what i understand from reviews

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

For 200€ you don't even have a choice to buy a PCIe solution. Maybe something like PreSonus Revelator io24 USB Audio Interface is a good solution for you. I prefer thunderbolt audio interfaces and connections but you can forget that for 200€.

[​IMG]

3. krakdhaus

krakdhaus Kapellmeister

4. Recoil

Recoil Guest

In fact, for AMD there are no motherboards with PCI slots anymore, but they are still for Intel :yes:

Asus PRIME H310 PLUS R2.0 - 3 PCI Slots
    Asus PRIME B460-PLUS - 2 PCI Slots

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

• Like Like x 3
    • List
  6. Recoil

Recoil Guest

@Olaf they actually are, but I was only looking for ATX boards not Micro ATX and I'm not able to check all motherboards by myself :guru:

@jon.dough.1991 I also use RME HDSP 9632 too, with i9 9900K processor and Asus Prime H370- Plus motherboard :cheers:

the equivalent of RME HDSP 9632 (PCI) is RME HDSPe AIO (PCI-E)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2021
  7. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Just because an Interface uses an USB-C connector it doesn't mean USB 3.0/3.1 tranfer speeds automatically. The Focusrite Interfaces use an USB-C connector, but still uses a USB 2 data connection. Seems to be enough as far as the amount of data is required for the audio-stream.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

@jon-dough-1991.66710 has the best solution for now. Takes the guess work out of which interface to purchase and, whether USB2 or current USB3 standards are different enough to choose one over the other. Far better solution than cheap USB2 devices.

Will give you time to do your own research for a future upgrade. Possibly a Thunderbolt 4/USB 4 device.

I will say that UAD chose Thunderbolt for a reason. USB 3.0 (now USB 3.1, Gen 1) devices also exist for a reason.

Think of USB2 as a one lane bridge where you have to wait for traffic coming from the opposite direction to clear before you can cross. USB3 is that same bridge upgraded with an added lane for bi-directional travel.

9. pizzafresser

pizzafresser Producer

Whatever you do, don't get an older interface with a type B connector. It's an obsolete design and it will wear out the socket over time, making the device useless unless you solder in a new one. By all means get one with a type C connector. It's designed to be more durable and doesn't wear out the socket but the plug.

10. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Great thread, so much good info. AS rules. I don't know why this is so much more useful and just so more cool forum than any of the far more popular ones [KVR, Gear"SPACE" now]. My theory is that here people feel more free to talk about anything. I'm usually scared to say anything on the other two for the fear of being bullied for no reason, which happens often. Here... you get counterarguments, which is how a forum is supposed to work. :wink:

An honest thank you to everybody being so civil and informative, and an honest thank you to moderators who know their business, so to speak. :)

To say something useful, not just some soap opera scheisse, USB-C is the future, and one I'm so looking forward to. Finally one port to rule them all, and the most important thing - you don't need to flip it 3 times before connecting it! :rofl:

p.s. sorry for editing. I've been always obsessed with grammar and even English teacher at some point, but I type badly. ;)

Cheers!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  11. dondada

dondada Rock Star

if there are any Creamware/ Soniccore users reading this there is a board with 3 PCI slots (of that same generation) 6th & 7th Gen.
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170-D3H-rev-10#ov

@Arctic
    Pcie to my surprise is actually in danger of being phased out.
    But actually Problems with with more and more system being integrated on Die and non coherent
    chipsets are responsible for that. Long-term you will less likely run into problems with USB interfaces
    If you got masterful engineers like RME usb2 is plenty for 80 channels i/O @44/48
    but even on my cheap behringer umc 404 10 i/O @44-88 16-24bit 1.5-3ms

there is nothing to worry about

right now you probably fare equally good with usb2 & 3
    because usb2 is just that well understood by most manufacturers

there is just not much need for thunderbolt 3 - 4 or usb 3 -4 for the kinds of
    traffic one expects on intefaces with 2 - 20 let alone up to 80 channels of audio

uad and their switch to TB was in response Apple idiocy.
    if you guys still dont belive me think of Vienna Server that needs 1Gb Lan
    thats 125Mb/s usb2 is 480Mbs
    If you really need more than that i would switch to Ravenna/dante befor i buy TB4 interfaces

just my 2cents

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  12. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

• Useful Useful x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  13. dondada

dondada Rock Star

to make it complete[​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

15. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Bit rate = channels x sample rate x resolution
    Code:
    Example:
    A CD-quality WAV file has the following bit rate:
    2 channels x 16 bit x 44.1 kHz = 1411.2 kBit / s 

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

I have anything else than good experiece with PreSonus support.
    The ticket system is operated by dilettantes who what no clue what's going on.

In contrast to the MOTU support which is listeing and helpful.

––––

Cant speek for windows but the Moti M2performs better with my MacMini M2 than my RME Multiface II with my previous PC/Hackintosh.
    Give it a try...
    https://motu.com/en-us/products/m-series/m2/

17. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

>BEAT16: Basic knowledge:
    Yeah that meakes clear that we don't need thunderbolt for just 2 channels of audio ;)
    :knock:
    Anyone can use a search engine, why post redundant info again and again here.
    Just to feel smart ?

Thats sentence above was related to all his previos copy pastes.
    Someone ask a question, he copy pasted stuff without having a clue about the topic at all.

I asked him regarding phones, he copy pasted stuff about the HD650 how great they are etc.And teh I asked him , do you own them , hea answere no .

THATs why I asked for the bandwidth ...

never mind I ...
    Yeah that meakes clear that we don't need thunderbolt for just 2 channels of audio ;)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  18. Lemmy

Lemmy Audiosexual

didn´t you asked for?
    "How much bandwidth does a stereopair ot 44.1, 88.2, 96k need ?"

19. joem

joem Producer

focusrite go focusrite 2i2 3rd gen its the one im using its great has usb 3.1 and firewire

20. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Here is the Answer:

Bit rate = channels x sample rate x resolution

A CD-quality WAV file has the following bit rate:
    2 channels x 16 bit x 44.1 kHz = 1411.2 kBit / s

You can have the formula tattooed on your arm ...!