USB vs PCIe Audio Interfaces?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by ArticStorm, Aug 18, 2021.

1. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

I noticed that no longer PCI is support for newer AM4 mainboards (also intel). So i am looking into buying a new audio interface. I am not sure how much "better" or worse USB performs in these times now compared to PCie.

I mean USB is portable still. Would make it possible to use the interface also with my notebook when traveling.

I guess best would be USB3 of course, since USB2 does not really transfer much data/sec.
    But on the other hand we calc in ms for latency and audio stuff. I could do that math, that maybe USB3 is then enough?

But what about stability and reliability of USB3 in modern OS like Win10 or Win11 (future)?

Also well im pretty sure you could invest like 600-1000€ into an audio interface. I dont want that, something like 200€ max.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. zib

zib Platinum Record

4. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

Maybe u can use a pcie to pci adapter
    I don't know if it affects your performance

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hi @ArticStorm, small and light for the jacket pocket with very good inner values ...!

Audient - Evo 4 Audio Interface (118 EUR)
    https://evo.audio/de/produkte/evo-4/uebersicht/
    https://www.thomann.de/de/audient_evo_4.htm
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/audient_e...iZ2IiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6NCwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOiJlbiJ9

EVO 4 Audio Interface - The Features

Audient Evo 4 Audio Interface Review / Explained (Smart Gain Demo)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Dear ArticStorm, it is not about data/sec at all, it's about the protocol [USB, FW, TB] real-time latency and using more CPU than PCI/PCIe. USB2 should be perfectly alright for 64 tracks at 96kHz/24bit, for example. Having said that, ThunderBolt and USB-C [almost the same thing] are the best for audio, followed by FireWire [somewhat obsolete, but I still use it], and only then USB 2 and 1 which was terrible, but usable for low number of tracks. USB1 had big problems with latency, but USB2 works well. PCI and PCIe have the smallest real-time latency so it's easier to achieve great low latency performance using less CPU.

Some companies, like RME, Audient, UAD [and my FW TC Konnekt 48] have managed to make perfectly great USB/FW/TB interfaces, but it's more risky with others. It all comes down to the driver, of course. You can have incredible great hardware, but what is it worth to you if the driver has big latency and/or crash often? :wink:

That's why I'm still using my old trusty RME HDSP 9652 PCI on my main computer with one of the last great motherboards with a PCI slot - Asus Z170-A. The RME driver is impeccable. However, these days I would recommend RME RayDAT or HDSP PCIe, of course for a pure digital audio interface, and then you can choose whatever DAC you want. My TC is being used for that purpose as AD/DA converter because it's FW driver is a bit quirky and FW uses a lot of CPU compared to PCI/PCIe. It's AD/DAs are great, though, and it's got a great remote controller, better than RME UFX, for example.

Having said all that, you seem to be a perfect customer for Audient ID14 or 22. You can get ID22 for 200 euro at a discount price, or second hand. I can wholeheartedly recommend it, but you have to choose yourself according to your needs. :wink: Focusrite interfaces have much better drivers these days, too, and they make good interfaces, but not as good as Audient.

Cheers mate!

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • List
  7. zib

zib Platinum Record

I agree with beat16, and Sine wave, audient is great

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Voekit

Voekit Producer

200 Euro?
    Audient id4,focusrite 2i4, studio 68c b-stock ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

10. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

USB 2.0 can transfer 42 channels at 48 kHz, or 10 channels at 192 kHz: https://www.edn.com/fundamentals-of-usb-audio/
    Do you really need more? Because then you obviously would need an interface with more than 10 channels. And I don't think there are a lot of these for 200 euros. :)
    No, the main advantage of USB 3.x is the ability to deliver 900 mA via bus power. But then again, it's mostly relevant when using Phantom Power etc. w/o an additional power supply.

For around 200 euros there are a lot of great options, like Audient's iD14 MKII or the SSL 2. You could try an online store with a faceted search (like Thomann) to narrow down your selection in terms of features and especially in and outputs (like MIDI or digital I/O).

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. ThrashHead

ThrashHead Platinum Record

Like SineWave, I also still use firewire mainly because that's what I purchased before thunderbolt hit. I went for firewire specifically because I'm one of those people who gets highly annoyed with even the smallest amount of latency. Firewire with presonus firestudio mobile works well for me on an older laptop. I have no desire to upgrade as it does everything I need it to do.

I don't know if that interest you, but if you have a firewire port or ability to add a firewire card, you can pick them up used pretty cheap. Do some research. I went with firestudio because of low latency performance so I specifically looked for this unit. https://www.presonus.com/products/FireStudio-Mobile

I would have bought an RME interface next.

13. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

yeah i checked this one out, looks good, then i maybe need an adapter from 6,3 Jack to 2XLR for the monitors.

i dont have firewire, since well its a new mainboard with AM4 for a Ryzen CPU im planning. Also Microsoft has officially discontinued support for Firewire. So i am not bothering with something like that.

Might have to set it on for a while longer. But maybe its a good idea to have it internal as USB Audio Interface.

14. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

hey does anyone know if there is still something for sale like the emu 1820 where you can load plugins on the dsp chip and I don't mean uad they are too expensive around 500€

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. Domo

Domo Guest

Behringer "U-PHORIA UMC404HD" is what me and many people
    use for small studios.

• 4x4 USB 2.0 Audio/MIDI interface with MIDAS Mic Preamps
    • 24 Bit
    • 192 kHz
    • 4x XLR/jack 6.3 mm Combo Mic/Line input with Pad switch and Clip/Signal LED
    • 4x Line output jack 6.3 mm/RCA (2x L/R)
    • Main output XLR/jack
    • 4x Insert 6.3 mm jacks
    • MIDI in/out
    • Switchable phantom power 48 V (for channel 1-4)
    • Stereo headphone-output 6.3 mm jack
    • USB port
    • Power supply connector
    • Zero-Latency Direct Monitoring

Works with just USB , the power device is if you use 48V Phantom power alot.
    I dont think you can get anything better than this nice piece of Hardware on low budget.

price is ~119€ (crazy cheap!) i paid 139€ last year.

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0BK1

https://www.thomann.de/ie/behringer...CJjdXJyZW5jeSI6MiwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOiJlbiJ9&glp=1

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List

Attached Files:

16. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

does USB C affects latency?

I mean, do I have advantages in latency by using a USB C interface over a USB 2/3 interface?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  17. Domo

Domo Guest

years ago yes it did make a difference in Latency.
    Meanwhile you can use USB instead of PCI without any difference in Latency or performance.

EDIT: Latency also depends a lot on your CPU and Mainboard Chipset.
    On USB2.0 you can create huge projects already with older Xeon 1240v3 for example.
    I haven't had a project yet that didn't work on USB2.0 even on low Latency.
    i cant imagine a project were i could need a USB-C Interface for but if someone
    is using many many Inputs and Outputs at the same time like Opera or Concerts.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

There is likely to be no difference in latency because the behavior of
    USB 3.0 vs 2.0 is a bandwidth difference, not a latency difference.

The new USB type C standard brings four significant improvements to the tried and tested and widespread USB interface: Type C devices are easier to connect, allow higher data transfer rates, can charge mobile devices faster and transport non-protocol audio and video data streams.

19. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

performance heavily depends on the driver

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Domo

Domo Guest

i bought an extra tiny USB 3.1 PCIe controller for my USB audio interface for like 13€ to separate it from the common Hardware.

no interference ever, no problems with performance since the USB Card has his own PCIe Bus.

all the rest like Keyboard, Mouse, Sticks is on the Mainboards Intel standard USB2.0-3.1

maybe a good way to solve USB problems with USB Sound Interfaces for some people.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List

Attached Files:

• usb.jpg
      usb.jpg
      File size:
      16.1 KB
      Views:
  21. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

The latest generation of Yamaha/Steinberg interfaces has an integrated DSP with a few VSTs. It would be AG03/AG06 from Yamaha or (I believe) anything with a "C" in the name (like UR22C) and the Neve-branded RTs from Steinberg.
    There are some basic effects (eq, comp, etc.), the REV-X reverb, and a guitar amp simulator.

No. USB-C is nothing more than the connector type. It can be USB 2.0, it can be USB 3.0, it can also be USB 3.1 with different speeds. But it has no impact on latency itself.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List