USB Midi Keyboard does not work with a specific laptop computer, but does work on other computers

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by lkjts, Jun 20, 2023.

1. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

I have older gear that doesn't like my ryzen chipsets.
    Like my first generation icon platform m faderboxes.
    Icon released a firmware upgrade for their platform m plus line, but not for the older models. A shame that is, but thats how things are.
    I don't blame AMD, I blime a price policy that doesn't allow basic support over more tha 2 or 3 year old hardware on Icons side.
    That said, I don't think that'a the problem here, I think it's a power issue / some energy saving issue as mentioned before.
    If you can't make it run with the suggestions above:
    Midi IS an option.
    For about 11 bucks you get a cheap usb to midi interface, that shall do it.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

It seems we have USB cables instead of veins, chaps! :rofl:

This turned out a useful thread for MIDI keyboard USB problems in general. One of the first things I do in fresh Windows as well as Linux is turning off USB suspend. That seems to be a required tweak for USB equipment.

3. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

@SineWave This is something I never understanded with windows, it should be turned off by default and those who needed it should turn it on.
    Didn´t notice anything with my battery life, and if I have tons of usb devices, I´m always on plug or at least the devices are. This setting can even mess up your external HDDs, usb mouse and keys.

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

This subject is good to be aware of for me. I never use Windows for music purposes, and only linux on PC. But let me ask this then. Why would him adding a 5$ USB-C to USB-A cable adapter fix his issue if it was Windows Power Management causing the problem? Should not both USB types perform the same way re: Windows Power settings, or is this something you can specify? per port, or type...Checking for this as cause would save time if another working USB device could have connected to test; replacing the kb controller, but using the same port. Even an un-powered USB hub might even work then, if you are tricking the OS into "seeing" a C device has been connected? Thanks. :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023