USB Help

Discussion in 'PC' started by jefft, Mar 16, 2019.

1. jefft

jefft Producer

Hi Guys, I'm having problems, and I'm looking for solutions. I have a NI Maschine Mk2 running into an Asus motherboard PC, when connected via USB the computer freezes before reaching the bios stage. This I'm told is a compatibility problem between the Asus m/b and the Maschine. The problem is solved by unplugging the USB cable and booting the PC then connecting the USB and all is well. Iv'e tried all sorts of configurations with the BIOS but nothing seems to work, So Iv'e resigned to accept that it is incompatible. Now being the sort of person that does not like pulling leads out every time I use an item, I was looking for an alternative, a sort of switching system that would switch both data and power off ... any ideas?

3. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Yep, a powered USB Hub (only they have on-off switches) was the first thing that came into my mind too. Should work.

5. jefft

jefft Producer

Hmm interesting, I was thinking along the lines of a USB Printer switch that selects one input into two outputs , then all I have to do is switch it to the output that's not connected.. if you get my drift, rather than have more wall warts hanging around (P/Supplies)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@jefft The one used internally by Native Instruments for testing all its hardware is the D-Link DUB-H7 is. Before buying check that your USB port is not being powered down. One question: Are you on Windows7? Microfuck has released several updates that address issues with USBs.

7. jefft

jefft Producer

Hi Thanks for your input, I am on win 10, but I have two PC's both have the same effect, both on Windoze 10, Hanging pre BIOS, I had the same problem with some line 6 POD stuff not closing down, which also was an incompatibility problem with Asus, Also as soon as I conect my Maschine it lights up so Im presuming that its not powered down, it only occurs pre bios.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Maschine loves to have its juice, all those LEDs need power. Nevertheless, make sure that your USB ports are not being powered down.

9. Aileron

Aileron Audiosexual

I'm on Win7, minor USB issues. Any way to obtain the relevant updates' KB numbers?

10. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

11. Aileron

Aileron Audiosexual

Roger (and thanks)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Since we are dealing with USBs here, there is a free portable app USBDeview that lists all USB devices that currently connected to your computer, as well as all USB devices that you previously used.
    For each USB device, extended information is displayed: Device name/description, device type, serial number (for mass storage devices), the date/time that device was added, VendorID, ProductID, and more...
    USBDeview also allows you to uninstall USB devices that you previously used, disconnect USB devices that are currently connected to your computer, as well as to disable and enable USB devices.
    You can also use USBDeview on a remote computer, as long as you login to that computer with admin user.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

13. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

14. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

This should work of course too, as long as you can switch manually, that is. Seems you gave yourself the best answer.

If I got it right, this one doesn't have a power switch, so it won't help him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

It does not have a power switch but it is the one that NI uses internally. At least it will offer quality and reliability.The OP can always use something like USBDeview if there is a need to disable/enable one of the peripherals. I never have been a fan of trading reliability and quality for a little convenience. Also, another thing to keep in mind is that a USB hub with on/off switch, which you plan to use, forces you to keep it accessibly within reach.

16. Aileron

Aileron Audiosexual

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. jefft

jefft Producer

Thanks for all your input. The Microsoft stuff is irrelevant realy, as the problem is pre Bios and pre windows therefore the windows drivers don't get a look in. The problem is something to do with incompatability between the Asus mobo usb I think that the switching system is probably the cheapest and best answer, then I can place the switch to hand rather than crawling under the desk to get at the leads

• Like Like x 3
    • List
  18. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

I agree. Try that app. It does the same thing as a switch and more right from your desktop. It is what I use with this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817707386&Description=usb hub&cm_re=usb_hub-_-17-707-386-_-Product.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  19. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Im glad I was able to help you with your problem. that issue should have been part of a dedicated thread. I know some other members may be having the same problem.:like:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@jefft You need to llok at a USB Hub in the same manner you look at a pair of monitors or a microphone. They come in all shape and sizes and are not the same. I dont know your budget but this should be a once in a lifetime (or at least several years) investment. Look at the following offerings from Newegg.com. They are not the cheapest but reliaility and performance is much better than your consumer geared USB hubs.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RE8361759&Description=usb hub&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=usb_hub-_-0J2-0066-000N0-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1JM8355662&Description=usb hub&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=usb_hub-_-0J2-001U-00075-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1JM8355293&Description=usb hub&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=usb_hub-_-9SIA1JM8355293-_-Product

This one only comes in 2.0 USB https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G1S90288

A cheap USB hub will drive you nuts!

21. jefft

jefft Producer

Whist I appreciate your suggestions, I don't think a Hub is the answer, as I use the Maschine upstairs in my studio and downstairs on the home PC so it needs to be mobile. I have in the past tried several methods, using cheap Hubs and expensive ones ( Borrowed) none resolve the problem, I also tried my Maschine on various computers and laptops, they all worked fine. I have read on other forums that Asus H81+ motherboards do have this incompatibility problem. I run 5 USB units in the studio through a cheap Hub (Mouse, Keyboard, Akai Controller, and two guitar effects units) all are connected permanently and cause no problems. Downstairs I have nothing connected to USB and get the same problems. At the moment I have to switch the computer on, then connect the USB to the Maschine, then it works fine, by adding a switch that's to and it should ( in theory) act as though nothing is conected, then all I have to do is flip the switch when required and away you go, also a switch would be a far cheaper and portable unit for moving from room to room. Thanks Pirate for your input as always its invaluable, any alternate ideas are welcome, thanks again.