USB Audio Interface/WIFI Problem

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by lampwiikk, Nov 1, 2013.

1. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

Hey there, just wondering if it is "normal" to have a ton of pops and clicks with an USB audio interface (Presonus 44VSL) when using WIFI? I've just kind of accepted it, and it hasn't been too big of a deal as I just turn off the WIFI when working in the "studio". But I would like to use it for DJing and also be able to download tracks on the fly, but it is absolutely impossible at this point... any suggestions, or is this just basically the way it is?

3. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

i would not use a USB interface Firewire or thunderbolt and your buffer is probably to low

4. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

The buffer is not the issue as no matter how high I set it up to 2048 it makes no difference. I just want to know if that's basically everyone's experience with USB interfaces, and if so how do people go about doing DJ stuff on a laptop grabbing tracks on the fly with WIFI? BTW this is for my laptop which has no firewire or thunderbolt, and no slot for a card...

5. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

most good dj's use a High End Computer Like a Mac Book Pro and a good audio interface not using a USB but using Firewire or thunderbolt im telling you USB is not good i had to get my firewire interface fix one time and wile it was gone they gave me a loner USB interface and it did what you are having a problem pops and clicks and i could do any music with it and i use a Mac Pro

6. coolout

coolout Newbie

Yes this is a normal issue with USB interfaces, especially on windows. It's just something you get used to.

I've been using the same Dell laptop every weekend for DJ gigs for about 5 years. It's just part of my normal routine to disable wifi and antivirus before a gig. I've played all around the US and Caribbean...never had a single crash though.

Also it depends on your interface. For instance I recall pops and clicks not really happening with Serato vs my other interfaces (Traktor, Torq, etc). Probably because Serato uses a proprietary audio driver and not ASIO like other DJ apps.

7. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

Cool thanks for the info, I've been looking at Focusrite interfaces, like the 18i20, but now I'm hesitant to get another USB interface. I used to have an EMU PCIE interface and that thing was great as far as stability, but not really possible for a laptop...

8. CoffinSupply

CoffinSupply Newbie

So what is the best interface for around $150? Strictly for guitar use I mean.

I've looked into JamVox and can be had for less then $100.