US vs. UK (which has had the biggest impact on the modern music world?)

Discussion in 'Education' started by foster911, May 15, 2016.

1. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

It seems to me that Foster911 has just started another "this vs. that" war and left the scene.:lmao:

2. yoyodyne

yoyodyne Noisemaker

You are quite mistaken.

3. Impressive

Impressive Guest

UK - Hands down.
    I'll use the current trending genre: Pop music. In the US, pop music always seemed to suck orangutang balls. The UK at least had the Beatles, Oasis, Rolling Stones, and all these other amazing artists. Shit, they even have the world's richest Boy band - OneDirection (who actually in fact suck hairy orangutang balls, unlike the aforementioned bands).
    Even UK house music is even better than US. In the US, we have this garbage toneless pop shit and the kids listen to this shit. Whereas Euro-house is actually decent - and people all around the world listen to it.
    US definition of pop songs: Brittany Spears with "Oops I did it again" and Rebecca Black with "Friday". Nobody listens to this shit anymore. If they do, they're really stupid people. UK's definition of pop songs: The Verve with "Bittersweet Symphony" and Oasis with "Wonderwall". I and many other people all around the world still listen to this stuff everyday. Those are 2 of my favorite songs of all time. I know some of you will say I'm comparing apples and oranges. But look at the big picture - US pop music makes you cringe for a couple years and then it eventually dies off when some other teenie bopper comes around - and the cycle repeats. UK artists can make you feel good, and lives on throughout the universe. The US wish they had that kind of positive impact on the music industry. But the US has more negative impact than positive on the music industry. The UK has more positive than negative impact.
    Honestly I barely see how this is even a debate. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  4. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

what is modern music ???

Music was an art during the period of 1700 - 1800 ; than, when we started to commercialize it, it stopped being an art.
    There were a few "revival" attempts in the last century, with jazz and a few other genres, but we see how it ended.

It is hard to define what is Music and what is just noise, so maybe, threads as this one do not make very much sense ?!?

What was the intent of the OP with this thread please ?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Actually, music was an art when Knee and the Thralls made their debut performance 580,000 years ago. Their band started when Heeja the tribe's chief woke up with termites in his pants (termites are attracted to "wet wood"), and started freaking out. Then the other tribesman started banging on logs and then they realized the impeccable invention. One guy said "wuh wuh da yoo kuhll thu?" and chief Heeja said "moooozeeek!!!" And all the others started chanting "moozeeeekk!! mooozzeeeeekk!!!" Their debut hit song "Waggalloo waggalloooo!!" was a teepee rattling success, featuring some of the most infectious chest pounding rhythms, melodic hollow log licks, creative tree shaking, insane tail-whacking, catchy beatboxing (remember that awesome beatbox line that got you like "ugga ugga oogga oogga yeggoo yeggoo eeka eeka"? Yeah that song! Then tribesman Wuggy wuggy came out with a solo song about his love song about the Woolly Mammoth that broke his heart. Now that was a classic!! Yeeeeeaaaaahhhh!!!!!! I think these bands were from Ethiopia, though.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016
  6. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

To discuss the parts of music none of us here has any control over, as opposed to the parts we do.

The better question for the OP is, Which one of us is going to influence modern/future music more? and who's just gonna sit on forums not making any?

7. foster911

foster911 Guest

I am an analphabet. I still use crisscross.

8. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

I agree with some people here who have stated that people in US only look at the commercial side and when there is money involved, doing art for the sake of it will be shattered. then we're seeing underground artists going mainstream and moving to US and then we have another group; wannabe's downloading some cracked software and try to jump on the wave to get a piece.

It is a sad world actually... :sad:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. ShadowOfTheZ

ShadowOfTheZ Ultrasonic

modern music? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha:rofl:
    ha ha ha hahh hha ha hah ha ha hahhhhh.... sorry I could not stop... hahhh ha ha ha... let me breathe again... ha ha...hahhhhhhh

ok it gets better:)
    So you mean Taylor Swift, the weekend, Bieber, and Drake? I suppose it's what you call "modern music".
    OMG, what's an invention, ha ha ha ha... hum herkk...arggg ha haha humm hahhhhhh.... ok I take a big breath again.
    Nobody will listen again to that shit in decades. It's just consumer music for when you get a pill or some wine or want to fuck.

Not to mention EDM which was basically invented by the French and Germans, which I also think is going to be forgotten very quickly. Although in terms of instruments and revolution to music, it's definitely interesting or at least it should be (I mean Jarre wrote electronic symphonies, not boum-tchak-boum-tchak-boum-tchak).

10. foster911

foster911 Guest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popular_music_genres (particularly electronic)

Sorry mentioning them here:

Ambient
    Ambient dub
    Ambient house
    Ambient techno
    Ambient industrial
    Dark ambient
    Space music
    Drone music
    Illbient
    Psybient
    Isolationism
    Lowercase
    Asian Underground
    Breakbeat
    Baltimore Club
    Big beat
    Breakbeat hardcore
    Broken beat
    Florida breaks
    Nu skool breaks
    4-beat
    Chiptune
    Bitpop
    Game Boy music
    Nintendocore
    Video game music
    Yorkshire Bleeps and Bass
    Disco
    Cosmic disco
    Disco polo
    Europop
    Euro disco
    Space disco
    Italo disco
    Nu-disco
    Downtempo
    Acid jazz
    Balearic Beat
    Chill out
    Dub music
    Dubtronica
    Ethnic electronica
    Moombahton
    New-age music
    Nu jazz
    Trip hop
    Drum and bass
    Darkcore
    Darkstep
    Drumfunk
    Drumstep
    Hardstep
    Intelligent drum and bass
    Jump-Up
    Liquid funk
    Neurofunk
    Oldschool jungle
    Darkside jungle
    Ragga-jungle
    Raggacore
    Sambass
    Techstep
    Electro
    Crunk
    Electro backbeat
    Electro-grime
    Electro swing
    Electroacoustic
    Acousmatic music
    Computer music
    Electroacoustic improvisation
    Field recording
    Live electronics
    Live coding
    Musique concrète
    Soundscape composition
    Tape music
    Electronica
    Berlin school
    Chillwave
    Electronic art music
    Electronic dance music
    Folktronica
    Freestyle music
    IDM
    Glitch
    Laptronica
    Skweee
    Sound art
    Synthcore
    Electronic rock
    Alternative dance
    Baggy
    Madchester
    Dance-punk
    Dance-rock
    Dark Wave
    Electroclash
    Electronicore
    Electropunk
    Ethereal wave
    Indietronica
    New rave
    Space rock
    Synthpop
    Eurodance
    Bubblegum dance
    Italo dance
    Turbofolk
    Hardcore/Hard dance
    Bouncy house
    Bouncy techno
    Breakcore
    Darkcore
    Digital hardcore
    Doomcore
    Dubstyle
    Gabber
    Happy hardcore
    Hardstyle
    Jumpstyle
    Makina
    Speedcore
    UK hardcore
    Hi-NRG
    Eurobeat
    Hard NRG
    New Beat
    House
    Acid house
    Chicago house
    Deep house
    Diva house
    Dutch house
    Electro house
    French house
    Funky house
    Future house
    Ghetto house
    Hardbag
    Hip house
    Italo house
    Latin house
    Minimal house/Microhouse
    Progressive house
    Rave music
    Tech house
    Tribal house
    UK hard house
    US garage
    Vocal house
    Industrial
    Aggrotech
    Coldwave
    Cybergrind
    Dark electro
    Death industrial
    Electronic body music
    Futurepop
    Electro-industrial
    Industrial metal
    Neue Deutsche Härte
    Industrial rock
    Noise
    Japanoise
    Power noise
    Power electronics
    Witch House/Drag
    Post-disco
    Boogie
    Dance-pop
    Electropop
    Progressive
    Techno
    Acid techno
    Detroit techno
    Free tekno
    Ghettotech
    Minimal
    Nortec
    Tecno brega
    Techno-DNB
    Toytown Techno
    Trance
    Acid trance
    Classic trance
    Dream trance
    Goa trance / Psychedelic trance
    Dark psytrance
    Full on
    Psyprog
    Psybreaks
    Suomisaundi
    Hard trance
    Tech trance
    Uplifting trance
    Orchestral Uplifting
    Vocal trance
    UK garage
    2-step
    Bassline
    Breakstep
    Dubstep
    Trap
    Funky
    Grime
    Speed garage
    Future Bass

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. foster911

foster911 Guest

Want to accept or not. In most of the famous songs, these 2 countries are always at the top and other ones are just watching what they do.

For every genre you focus, you'd see these 2 countries. These 2 countries' musical culture, education, novel and innovative motivations discriminate them from the others.

I don't think, the passing of the time changes this reality a lot. Other countries have been doomed to failure, extinction and moribund death.

12. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

It's all to do with marketing and control, historically the 5 largest record labels in the world were based in these two countries, and they specialized in music that was lyrically neutral, i.e. international.

That is not to say there wasn't an abundant pool of talent ready and waiting to be scouted and developed in these two countries, but it was mainly all about money and business. These record companies were fabulously successful at what they did.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. yabiss

yabiss Platinum Record

Not to deny US influence to say the least BUT, i'm 51 and without all the goth, new wave, neo romantics, industrial, darkwave and synthpop bands all originated in the UK, my life would have been very different. And for those who will bring up Kraftwerk as usual, this is not synthpop nor new wave. It's Krautrock. German Krautrock.
    Who will deny the new wave overwhelming influence from 1979 to 1986?

You can take my word for it. Being french and loving synths in the eighties was the equivalent of being a martian socially crucified each and everyday...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Jedi_Knight

Jedi_Knight Kapellmeister

As interesting, creative and argumentative as this debate is, who cares?!? REALLY?

L-E-T-S---M-A-K-E---M-U-S-I-C

The above 3 word statement is ALL that I care about. Well, that and the how to's provided for the software available to us all. ;)

15. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Papa Wemba died about three weeks ago in a middle of a concert. He was a legend in Africa in general, and his country Congo as well, many people celebrated him in France also. He was signed by Peter Gabriel in the 80s, did concerts with him. His death made the headlines here. He repopularised in Africa a traditional music called Rumba which is now internationaly known, and has been for more than two decades now. It's not in your list Foster but it is a popular music. The world is a big place, people dance and enjoy life on all kind of songs. Your world is small Foster it's a shame.

16. dim_triad

dim_triad Producer

I feel in general, that the U.S. will have THEE biggest negative impact on music... since all genres will get watered-the-fuck-down to increase revenue, and appeal to mindless, culturally deficient, cradle-to-grave-marketing-saturated morons. Luckily, some of us americans somehow were born with the God-given ability to think for ourselves, and NOT allow marketing firms to choose our interests, but instead, seek out our own.

Look at the UK, and how REAL Dubstep started there (and continues to thrive still), but got TOTALLY butt-raped, and turned into Skrillex and all that Brostep twat-step nonsense. Dont get me wrong, LUCKILY, there are examples of quality Deep Dubstep outfits in the U.S., i.e. Sure State... but other than a few here and there, the UK is where its at... well, that goes for dance related genres... although excellent dark/insutrial techno is probably more a Europe thing... maybe... but Im not really using techno as an example right now.

As for amazing Indie-Rock bands and shit?.. I would not be able to say that the UK is better than US, and vice-versa... as there is soooooooo much amazing independent music from all over the world... as long as you were born with the ability to "seek out" art on your own... as opposed to letting the marketing firms choose for you... which is more of an american issue... Europe, the UK and elsewhere, seems to breed more citizens that can think for themselves... welll, I suppose, one must count the ever growing population of Islamic militant mental-midgets... which honestly? makes americans look like they are ALL able to establish unique thoughts once in awhile.

and I will take my "warning and possible punishment" off the air...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. Wurlie Rocker

Wurlie Rocker Producer

Don't limit your vision. Europe as a whole has a rich history of creating the finest art known to mankind, would it be music, literature, visual arts, architecture, any known art form, you name it. I don't see how UK or US alone could rival a rich cultural heritage of Europe. And why there even should be a competition in the first place? Music and art in general is not about fighting. It should be a complete opposite of war and destruction and must represent peace and harmony.

Tchaikovsky once said that "Music is the world's treasury, to which every nation of this world brings their own gold for the common good".

One couldn't have worded it better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. nastybobby

nastybobby Kapellmeister

Kind of. But you've also got to remember that the songs [jigs and reels] the first European settlers [mainly Scottish and Irish] took to the USA also had a big influence on early Blues music. They used to say that with regards to the piano, the left hand came from Africa [swing, rhythm] and the right hand came from Europe [melody, progressions]. Even Rock 'n' Roll is an admixture of Country/Blues through a lineage that also includes Western Swing and there's lots of European influence in the first Country music as there are no aboriginal white Americans.

It's been a long history of back and forth across the Atlantic ever since. The Beatles and the Stones took the black music they heard and created their own versions, with the Stones in particular obviously being directly influenced by the Blues. Whilst the Beatles had access to American records much of the rest of the country couldn't access through Liverpool being a massive port dealing with US ships/sailors and the tunes/records they brought with them.

Even as recent as the global dance music explosion of the late 80's. House and Techno definitely came from Chicago and Detroit, but Techno especially was influenced by European electronic music of the early 80's. And I think even the Americans would acknowledge that the worldwide dance music boom that started in the late 80's wouldn't have happened in the way it did if Brits hadn't mixed dancing to House/Techno in fields, abandoned warehouses and/or clubs in Ibiza with ecstasy and realised what a potent combination it was. Hardcore [you know the score!]/Jungle/ Drum and Bass/Garage/Dubstep is on what's called the 'Hardcore Continuum' that began in 1988 with the advent of Acid House and is still arguably continuing to this day. But you've also got to heavily include West Indian/Caribbean culture in that mix as well.

I suppose the only really pure American music of the last 50 years is Hip-Hop, apart from Kraftwerk/Planet Rock I can't think of much of a European influence on its evolution? The oral tradition of rapping is definitely influenced by Jamaican toasting, but also the work songs slaves sang in the fields. Whilst much of the musical element is ripped from soul/funk. I can't honestly think where there's much of a European influence in either of those really?

19. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

I won't argue with you about this.. but name a few REAL dubstep producers from the UK please.. as I am already familiar with
    the wannabes skrillex etc in the US... I'm no aficionado of the genre but I have heard a few of the tracks I like...

I am more on the UK side of this argument.. though the seeds of creation may have been sown in the US, the UK did a much
    better job of developing it, and even if punk started in the US , not many people are aware of that... and UK punk just took
    on a lot of different directions... and I doubt there were any white boy ska bands in the US until you Brits fed it back to us
    (correct me if I'm wrong on dat )

20. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

@Herr Durr
    Skream is one of the best examples of original uk dubstep. He has dubstep records dating back to 2005 (possibly even older).
    He quit dubstep because of the noisy mess it became- artists like skrillex (though he is not the worst!) are to blame.