US vs. UK (which has had the biggest impact on the modern music world?)

Discussion in 'Education' started by foster911, May 15, 2016.

1. tun

tun Rock Star

the US has the biggest impact overall i think, but to me its europe all the way. just look at rotterdams music scene <3

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. yoyodyne

yoyodyne Noisemaker

Hitler Youth up there edited out his "Black Supremacists" BS.

The 12 tone harmony we use came from white Europeans. The drums and rhythms use came from black Africans. America's shameful history of slavery is where it came together.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  3. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

Personally, I credit individuals for their work not the country they were born in, or grew up in, or released the music in. Because all those places could in fact be different countries. Besides the land people live on is inanimate and incapable of producing anything let alone music. Like if someone was born in Canada, grew up in the UK, but lives in the US as a citizen and releases the music from there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

When studios were rare and hardware was expensive it was only the wealthiest countries that could invest,support and promote art.
    However today with the digital revoution those days are mostly over,except for big movie scoring everything can be done in home studios.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Another misconception.Drumming and rhytmic instruments existed on all continents used by many races and tribes.However i do believe Africans focused more on it and made it their main instrument,hence why they are good with drums and rhytm,comes naturally to them since they have it deep in genes.

6. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Maybe because the slaves from which he heard the music were busy fighting for their lives?

And let's not forget the habit of the catholic church to literally kill composers who used any kind of dissonance in their compositions for alleged "devilish sounds".

I am nor black nor american but it's hard not to credit them at least with the roots of all of today's music. I'm out.

7. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I like the music from both countries (and other countries). Music is a living thing and it's influences travel, everything influences everything else and fresh new ideas are formed.

8. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I dont have a problem crediting anyone,but this is a similar case to Nikola Tesla,where Edison got all the praise for the work he had done for him,same story here,got nothing to do with race,just facts that are untold.

9. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Strange thread!

Personally I fancy:
    Women Pygmy Choir singing, Bachs sonatas, Prince 80´ties songs, Beatles, Bowie, Stravinsky, BB King, The Rolling Stones, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Doors, John Cage, Peter Gabrial, Tom Jones, Elvis Presley, Tim Christensen, Blood Sweet and Tears, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Emerson Lake and Palmer, John Coletrane, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, Keith Jarrett, Jack DeJohnette, Beethoven, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Earth Wind and Fire, Stevie Wonder etc.................

The only problem is that I only have one from Africa, Non from: India, China, Middle East, Austalia etc etc.

The general picture is that music only makes it if it´s either US or Europe!

AND THAT´S A SHAME!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Because most people here live in the western countries,europe,usa,canada,russia...
    Africa does have its own scene and its own legends.We assume Africa has little to offer culturally,which is a stereotype.
    In Europe they show mostly famine and wars and people think that is all they have there which is bs,Africa is a huge continent.
    They do have a lot of musicians and artists,so does south america,asia etc,but those are different markets and most people here including me are unfamiliar with it.

11. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

Deutschland:

12. Wurlie Rocker

Wurlie Rocker Producer

for Rock and Metal genres - definitely British Invasion phenomena and the following British acts, playing progressive rock, art rock, heavy metal, punk. Needless to say, they had a huge impact on the next generations of rockers.

13. peacefulburningz

peacefulburningz Kapellmeister

Just out of curiosity what do you guys think is the first punk album? To me its Raw Power (1973).

14. Jazz-N-Stuff

Jazz-N-Stuff Platinum Record

Germany: Bach , Mozart (ok Austrian), Beethoven, Wagner... :guru:

15. supersharpshooter

supersharpshooter Member

Techno wasn't invented in America! Here's some more UK genres - Nu Skool Breaks, Big Beat, Grime, Dubstep, Trip Hop, & Acid Jazz.

16. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

I think you've missed another 190 countries to make the count.
    Unusual rhythmic patterns comes from South America and Africa.
    Quarter-tone scales are being used in most Asian cultures, which contributed to "modern music".
    And Justin Bieber is Canadian (offtopic). :hahaha:

Also I'm slightly puzzled what you call modern music :dunno:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. tapekiller

tapekiller Kapellmeister

UK makes good music and US commercialize it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Joe_sleaze

Joe_sleaze Platinum Record

None of the above.It should be Sweden.

19. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

ABBA's influence looms large over the present day Billboard Top 100 :wink:

20. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

US vs. UK (which has had the biggest impact on the modern music world?)
    My answer: both and all countries of this world = equal!
    But why seek for separation when Music has a completely different spirit?
    The term "modern music" is just an illusion, it all has been there before...
    ...what we hear today has ancient roots, only its manifestations appear new to us.
    What is defined modern by some, may be surpassed & old for others.

_______________________________________________________________________________________