US vs. UK (which has had the biggest impact on the modern music world?)

Discussion in 'Education' started by foster911, May 15, 2016.

1. foster911

foster911 Guest

That's it and any thing for comparing them.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  3. JayMixx

JayMixx Newbie

I believe its UK, they the have better production. US artiste just generate more revenue, but UK all day

4. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Blues & jazz come from the African slaves (& their descendants) in America. The the subsequent genres (swing & rocknroll then rock) and later funk, disco, r&b, hip-hop, techno, house were all originated in black culture. The rest of the sub-genres are just remixed ideas on these genres. Personally, in what concerns the artists' quality, I prefer the UK. But the music scene would look absolutely totally different today if it weren't for the american slaves.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. yoyodyne

yoyodyne Noisemaker

Country, Blues, Jazz, Rock, R&B, Funk, Hip Hop, House and Techno were all invented in America! Name a music style invented in the UK.

6. Bassmonsta

Bassmonsta Ultrasonic

Jungle, Garage, Drum & Bass

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

And dubstep

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. yoyodyne

yoyodyne Noisemaker

3 closely related sub-genres that derive from one drum break in an American R&B song

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  9. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

Well drums were invented before America. Let's not go down silly paths.
    Garage is very, very different to drum n bass and jungle too

10. Bobs Ur Unkle

Bobs Ur Unkle Ultrasonic

R&B is a sub genre in its self, from gospel and blues, as is hip hop

11. yoyodyne

yoyodyne Noisemaker

Is Dubstep a whole style like Rock or Jazz? I would consider it another sub-genre. The point is that the bulk of modern music derives from styles invented in America. The Brits are great at taking American music and doing unique stuff with it, and it all feeds back and influences on both sides of the pond, and that's great. As far as artists and records in my collection the Brits outnumber the Yanks by 10 to 1 at least.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Bobs Ur Unkle

Bobs Ur Unkle Ultrasonic

Drum n Bass, jungle, Garage, Grime, Dubstep, Ska, Punk, theres a few more,

13. yoyodyne

yoyodyne Noisemaker

Ska is from Jamaica (and was developed by combining American R&B with native rhythms). Punk is interesting in that it seemed to develop simultaneously in America and Britain (but is still derived from American Rock&Roll).

14. yoyodyne

yoyodyne Noisemaker

I agree that style, genre and sub-genre are open to interpretation. But to the OP's question, "US vs UK - which has had the biggest impact on the modern music world?" I would have to say US, because every genre of music we listen to these days derives from styles invented in America. All these sub-genres wouldn't exist if not for the influence of black Americans

15. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

Ok you win. Everything is American. Or if it isn't, then it was born from something American.
    I know that sounds childish, but I get your point.
    I wish mainland Europe was in this debate. They could argue that ALL western music comes from them :)

16. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

I am in West Europe. And I'm not black either. No school teaches otherwise, here. As someone said, UK artists managed to get some fine twists on (US') black culture's music, but that's all.

17. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Nope,that is a common misconception.

The blues came from the British Isles. An early blues song is Greensleeves. Greensleeves is a song about a man who was taken advantage of by a woman and then rejected. It dates from the late 1500s.

The first recorded jazz song was Livery Stable Blues by the Dixieland Jass Band, recorded in 1917. Band member Nick Larocca claimed to have invented jazz and his music is the first known examples of it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  18. DoubleSharp

DoubleSharp Platinum Record

What a cretinous debate that's bound to get people all jingoistic and patriotic.

Personally when it comes to modern popular music Australia calls all the shots. Rupert Murdoch and his cronies seem to have sewn up all of the arts (now called entertainment) together.

The oldest evidence for the intervals that make up the pentatonic scale we all know is ancient. Thousands of years ancient and influenced by birdsong. This is the start of the journey towards the 12 equal tone system that nearly all modern music follows. Ultimately it was the Europeans who developed the 12Tet system into what we know today.

I guess ultimately USA was the place where all this could breed together.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  19. DoubleSharp

DoubleSharp Platinum Record

Greensleeves is not blues. Interestingly according to Wikipedia it's influence is spanish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensleeves

Anyone interested in origins of Jazz should check this out,

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

USA trying to take all the glory for "inventing" music Europeans were already playing decades before.
    They did however popularize and invent many sub genres of those main genres,that i believe.

Now in regard who was more influential US vs UK.
    UK was way ahead of time with production methods and artists,however that got very even in the 70s and in the 80s,early 90s US dominated and quality in the UK went down the toilet(popular music).
    Now i see UK and its a night and day compared to what they did for music,US is pretty much done,not financially but spiritually,shitty artists and songs,underground and genres outside of pop/rock/rap/edm is where most quality is nowadays.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  21. krakenfart

krakenfart Ultrasonic

Don't feed the troll. The O/P