Urban Music Theory Collection (Kontakt 5.1)

Discussion in 'Software News' started by urOk, Jun 17, 2013.

1. urOk

urOk Member

Hi guys, need someone opinion about this library. Does anyone have this and is it worth buying ? There is no demo version so I won't risk.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v4BWy3qM_4[/media]

Link to the site studiolinkedvst

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

thats a joke. why do people need a chord machine? its easier to create chords by ear. :thumbsup:
    and that price is just ridiculous

4. hoodhendrix

hoodhendrix Member

i agree! brotha take a week and learn every major chord in triad form. and the same for minors the next week. things like this help people avoid becoming the real deal !

5. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ urOk,

And what about using already existing 'Kontakt' scripts that contain 'Chords' ?

Several Kontakt Libraries come with a bunch of 'Chords'. Try to use these 'Kontakt' scripts but with your own desired sounds.

You can also create your own 'Chords' thanks to 'Kontakt' scripts... *yes*
    You can then, afterward, set these 'Chords' to be played in several ways (arpeggiated, all at once, in sync,... ), or set to a particular 'time signature', always thanks to some pre-made 'Kontakt' scripts which are provided within the Factory Scripts of Kontakt.

6. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

Hah. I expected it to be some kind of clever chord progression resolver, but that was just ridiculous :) It simply a script that plays basic chords when you press a key, how unique, wow.

7. urOk

urOk Member

I have still problem with chord progression so thought that will be easier a bit, and yes I have to agree with you that price is very big. Thats why I asked.

@ Studio 555

How can I do that ? I'm not so good with Kontakt scripts at all, I'll appreciate any tips.

8. paraplu020

paraplu020 Banned

Hi, I recently bought Harmony Navigator Advanced Edition, that seems to be good for chords/chord progressions, I just find it a little bit hard to get into. I also don't know how to make it 'play' another instrument (like Xfer Records Chtulhu).

If you guys are into that kind of software, maybe there is a way to get it stripped down from my personal information so I can share it with you all @ AudioZ, then maybe you guys can help me get into it better as some of you are probably way smarter than me :bleh:

p.s. maybe I should start a new topic for this. hmmm.

9. urOk

urOk Member

@ Amsterdam Pirate

This soft looks cool :) I'll try demo version. Thx.

And no you don't need to start new topic mate :wink:

10. iswingwood

iswingwood Kapellmeister

I think ableton push is the best chord machine. Been using it a few weeks now.

11. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

if you have ableton , this link may help with learning chords

http://www.ageofthewheel.com/2010/11/circle-of-fifths-chord-resource-in.html

and don't forget googling "chord circles" as a visual aid (print it and have it next to your workplace) for how chords work with each other :wink:

12. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ urOk,

Well, here you have some...

If your version of Kontakt 5 is installed in a regular way, go to :

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5\presets\Scripts

When you open that 'Scripts' folder, you can find several folders that contain the 'Factory Scripts' of Kontakt.
    Open the 'Harmonize' folder, and you can find several 'Scripts' related to Chords/Harmonization.

Below, you have some snapshots of some of these 'Scripts', the most relevant for your request :

[​IMG]

First, load one of your 'Kontakt Instruments' that you want to use with some 'Chords'.
    When done, click on the 'Blue Key' (upper left side of the GUI - on the left of the name of the Instrument), that will allow you to open the GUI.
    When done, click on 'Script Editor' (as shown in the snapshot) to open it.
    From there, you can click on 'Preset' (left side), and simply follow the instructions (red arrows) to get these 'Factory Scripts'.

If you choose 'Chord' (as depicted in the snapshot), you'll get the more simple of these Scripts. It allows you to get a simple Chord (Triad) by only playing a Key (Note) at a time... (e.g. if you press a 'C' with your MIDI Keyboard, you get 'C' (Root) - 'E' (Major Third) - 'G' (Fifth), thus you get a 'C Major' Chord).
    Of course, you can select different 'Roots' by simply playing another Key (Note) with your MIDI Keyboard, and above all, select different types of Chords : Major, minor, sus, diminished,... , simply by rotating the Knob provided within the Script GUI.

[​IMG]

If you prefer to get the exact note intervals (in numbers) within a specific Chord, you can choose the Preset : 'Chord - Tonal' instead...

[​IMG]

And finally, certainly the most complete and performant 'Kontakt' Factory Script for creating and/or playing Chords...
    As you can see, this one is very complete : you can input 5 Notes by Chord, input Notes +1 Octave above (e.g. for 9th, 11th, 13th), you can also set some variations related to the 'Velocity' of each played notes... but above all, just check the right side and the scrolling menu where you can find numerous and the most usual Chords used in Music... *yes* :wink:

P.S: Ooops ! I forgot... this last Preset is named 'Harmonize' and also included in the folder 'Harmonize'... *yes*

13. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i think the problems arent the chords itself - the problem is mainly to get a good logically chord progression with a sense or mood going on. This will only come with practice. *yes*

14. urOk

urOk Member

@ Studio 555

Thank you for taking the time to create this explanation. :hug:

15. franknitty69

franknitty69 Newbie

dude share that ish!

16. ghostinthemachine

ghostinthemachine Newbie

You gotta at least try to learn some basic chords before going all software. :lmao:

17. paraplu020

paraplu020 Banned

How?
    Do I just contact one of the 'big' uploaders @ AudioZ? Because I do want it to be completely stripped from my personal information... right? *yes*

If any of you have some ideas of how to go about this, let me know, I will share it then!

:bow:

18. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Screw chord machines and learn music theory. If you want to call yourself a musician I think that you need to take it seriously and look at it as an investment. That doesn't mean that you have to become the next Bach but at least the basics of intervals, chord construction, progressions, voice leading, counterpoint, etc. It's highly rewarding and if you truly want to understand music, this is the only way. Otherwise you will sit there for tons of extra time trying to figure out what chord should follow the previous one and what voicing you should use which a menu in a program is not going to be able to help you with. I also highly recommend learning to play the piano even at a basic or intermediate level as this can be indispensable on your journey. If you're serious about music production then take it seriously.

19. paraplu020

paraplu020 Banned

I am learning all those points you named, but still some software can make the learning somewhat 'easier'. At least, that's my humble opinion. What do you think?

20. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

I think it's more likely that it will be a crutch. Having them lay out chords across octaves does not help you to understand anything about their construction, it's more like painting by numbers. It also certainly doesn't account for voice leading. For example let's say that you are writing in C minor and you want to have your chord progression go up a fourth to an F minor to capture that "redemption" feel (due to the qualities of the interval of a fourth). With this program you would choose a C minor chord and then an F minor chord. The transition between these two chords (if the second is in root position) would be abrupt because of awkward voice leading. If you had made the chord yourself perhaps you would use an inversion to smoothly lead between the two. I don't know if you understood my example but I'm sure I could explain it better with a screenshot. Basically chords aren't always in root position and sometimes you have to shuffle the arrangement of the notes in the chord so that (in the case of F minor) F is not the lowest note. Even if the application includes inversion chords (which I doubt because there are so many) it keeps you from being conscious of what is actually going on. Plus music theory applies to more than chords because it also gives you guidelines for constructing melodies, properly utilizing tension and release, interweaving bass and melodic lines, etc. People will argue and try to imply that music theory is unnecessary but I'm a firm believer that to efficiently break the rules of a system you have to know what they are first. Then you can look at theory for what it is which is really just guidelines or the culmination of musical knowledge through the years. Industrial music for example rejects a lot of the guidelines of theory but it's still important to know what they are especially if you work in other genres. I also recommend not always working in the same genre as you can learn a lot if you switch it up.

21. paraplu020

paraplu020 Banned

I understand what you mean, I think. Is THIS what you're talking about?

p.s. I see that IS what you meant, but If I remember correct, it does all or at least most of the other things you mentioned.