Upmix Halo Controlling each channel

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by MaXe, Feb 22, 2019.

1. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

Hi guys,
    How do you manage to control and shape sound(adjust volume and put effect) in each channel when using upmix halo or any other plugin for 5.1 mixing?
    Well, to be more clear, I want to know what's the most efficient way to route the channels of 5.1 mix in a mixing template to have more control?
    What I've come up with is simply putting up mix on each channel and routing 6 channels to individual channels for each track! That's lots of track! and I cannot implement it in a mixing template since it depends on the number of tracks. Offer me routing matrix!

3. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

Up!

4. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

OMG! Really? Does this mean nobody has done this before? :o

5. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

Can somebody help?!

6. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

What DAW do you use? Are we talking a filmmix or music only? When mixing for film in PT-HD or Ultimate, I'd put Halo on a 5.1 aux, sending tracks to that aux. I'd have 5.1 auxes for Dia, FX, Atmos and Music.

7. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

Thanks for the reply. I am working in both Pro Tools and Reaper. I am talking about both music and film. There is not lots of information regarding music mixes out there. You mean creating 5.1 busses and putting Halo on them? That's it? What would you for balancing and processing 5.1 individual channels? Like balancing levels, EQing and compressing busses?

8. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

I don't use Reaper, only Pro Tools. Also don't have a huge experience, it's a side dish for me. But I'll try to help where I can.
    Are you doing a film or is it just the music? In music for film, often it's still delivered in stereo stems.
    The re-recording mixer will then (up-)mix the music, putting it in perspective with the other elements.
    So if you're working on filmmusic, and there's another mixer involved, leave the upmixing to this person.

If you mix the whole thing yourself, yes, I meant putting Halo on a 5.1 Aux. But it's only one tool to achieve your endgoal.
    I don't know what you exactly want, want you know of the process, and what not..
    For a nice surround sound, a 5.1 reverb is essential, also to be put on a 5.1 aux.
    I’ve used Avid Revibe and Reverberate surround, I'm reading great reviews about PhoenixVerb by Exponential Audio.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019