Upgrading to window 10

Discussion in 'PC' started by james123, May 14, 2016.

1. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Wait. Tell me what's so hard in Windows 10 for you? The ability to finally search programs unlike Windows XP when you have 3 columns of folders filling up your whole screen whenever you open the start menu? Now you can just WIN + C, enter, and you're in Chrome. WIN + P, enter, you're in Pro Tools. What's so hard about this? Even the installer got to the point of being graphical, with mouse support and literally just click next next, unlike WinXP. What "choice of workflow/customisation" you're talking about? Changing your wallpaper? That's still there man.

2. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Everything is hard in Windows 10. It's a shit system for noobs who want flashy colors. If you don't know that little about it, you probably don't use it. You should stop defending crap, it's unhealthy.

3. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

It cannot possibly work better and faster than Windows 7, but have it your way, of course. It is up to you to decide that, eh? :wink: I respect that.

What I don't respect though is trying to delude people, saying things that aren't true, and my benchmarks say that all newer Windows lose a certain percentage of DAW real-time performance in a gradual way. The newer the Windows, the more percentage of DAW performance lost. The downgrade from XP to W7 is not that bad, but downgrading to something newer hurts the performance even more.

Cheers! :headbang:

4. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I'm talking about the complete customisation of the theme, not changing wallpapers. For instance, I cannot have an inverted theme with dark background and white font without patching the UXtheme file, and even when you do that it is all rather "hackerish", you know? I don't like one theme they offer at the MS website, as there are no inverted/dark themes at all. I managed to do it in the end because I'm a person who always gets what he wants, but it was so much harder to do it than in Linux.

I'd like my W7 to look like this: http://www.noobslab.com/2014/01/ambiance-dark-theme-for-ubuntulinux.html That's very similar to what my Linux Debian looks like. It took me a good couple of hours to accomplish that with W7. 5 minutes in XP and Linux Debian, too.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  5. Ankit

Ankit Guest

Wow... :like:

6. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

In this context as in "I want the OS I use to work the way I want it to work", especially the GUI theme as I detest white backgrounds. :winker:

I knew it somebody would comment on that negatively. :P You think it is something negative to have things your way? That's interesting. Don't you think? Do you just bow to everybody's whim? Don't you have your own taste? I would expect at least that from a fellow musician. :wink:

7. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Cheers @SineWave I'm gonna try this theme on Ubuntu, it looks gorgeous.

8. Ankit

Ankit Guest

That's why I am still using Windows 10. And you guys are making fun of windows 10 users.:snuffy:

No. You were overconfident...:dunno: or maybe not.. leave that..

9. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I was confident, yes, and I find it not really smart to use W10 for audio, but I have a good reason to think that way. Well, try to put yourself in my shoes, Ankit - I've been using/living/breathing Windows since v3.0 and I know Windows like I know my own pocket. I've done my own audio benchmarking on my PCs and was a bit surprised by the results. I was at least expecting the same performance across all Windows versions, but [very lite] XP and [lite] W7 turned out to be the best choice for making music. So since my priorities are performance, compatibility, and customisation, I decided to never even consider W8/W10 as there's no logical or sane reason for me, or any other musicians to use it.

For normal regular users it is quite debatable, though. Once in a while I have to install OSes on computers for such users and I do recommend either W8.1 or Linux Debian 8, or in same cases both [or running a Windows VM in Linux], currently. Windows 8.1 is just a bit more secure when it comes to Internet. However, I really do recommend to stay away from the Internet with Windows OSes and use them only for things that you find necessary and can't find anywhere else [Linux, OSX]. Hell, I still use "Nero" sometimes for burning CDs and DVDs, and I have it installed in Debian, too. :winker:

p.s. recently I acquired a little "Orange Pi" PC and I cannot stress enough how fun these cheap little things are! Just install Debian on it with Kodi ["smart TV"] and Transmission torrent client, and have all the Internet and media you want. :drool: That way you can spare your main computer(s) from doing everything all the time, and you save some money by using a very efficient, low power PC. :wink:

10. Ankit

Ankit Guest

I have been using windows since Win 98. According to my experience, windows is getting more stable and more heavier with upgrades. I don't like Win8 or 8.1 personally. I like Win 7 and Win 10.
    Every new version brought some features that I liked and some features that I hate.
    There are many things I like about Win 7 and many that I don't like. Same for Win 10.
    Windows 10 is slowly becoming rock solid like Win 7. It is more secure than win 7 if you don't use external security like Comodo. Probably you've started laughing but it's the truth. Microsoft is not giving your privacy to anybody. It is used to make their product and services better to compete with google and Apple. We are free to believe anything about them.

I prefer using BurnAware or ImgBurn. Free, light and gets the job done.:)

11. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Sure, but do you really need that 0.5% more of performance? If you're just recording and mixing and you never really hit even 50% CPU usage?

Wait, weren't you all about removing everything from your OS to bare minimum to improve performance? Now you say run Linux and then Windows in VM. Oh, supposedly that's way faster and better to do than use regular win 8.1

For what? You're a Linux fanboy, 99% of people need their PCs to do something and Linux is still years behind being usable whenever you actually need something. Video editing, Photoshop, recording (any DAW that is usable - the only one is recently released Bitwig but still you have no plugins unless you use wrappers and Wine, and you have to use wrappers for your audio interface drivers as well - ffs, why not just throw Linux out the window and use something that works). Stay away from the Internet with Windows OSes? Do you realize like 90% of the world browses the internet on Windows OSes? That it's the first platform all the browser developers test their patches and security updates on? Not on Debian. Not on Ubuntu. On Windows. Because that's what people actually use and what is worth supporting.

Old bulky piece of software. So many decent CD burning apps out there (hey, some are even for Linux which means they are the best in the world for you). Why pay for stuff that has great free alternatives already? It's like using WinRAR these days... the fuck you want it for? There is 7-Zip already.

For what? How about people who want to play games on weekends? Like... actual games? And maybe do some music production? And maybe edit their photos? For most people out there little Linux dev boards are of no use. For embedded DIY projects or home theater - sure. But most people need a proper, working computer. No, Raspberry Pi isn't good enough for your go-to workstation. No, Debian isn't good enough for your go-to workstation. We need stuff that works, man.

12. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

That is my main Windows burning program. It's simple and great, and it never failed me. :wink:

13. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

[​IMG] :hahaha:

And actually you got that very wrong. People generally use smartphones for browsing lately, which is Android/Linux. :wink: The number of people who browse the Internet with Windows/Browser combination is getting smaller by the minute. Partially thanks to Microsoft and their rubbish.

edit: @Qrchack there is so many things wrong with your post, I have no time to debate it, nor any interest in debating it. You have obviously made your choice, and well - suffer for it! :hahaha: Just don't make other people suffer for your mistakes. All I want for my fellow musicians is the best.

Cheers! :headbang: