Upgrading to window 10

Discussion in 'PC' started by james123, May 14, 2016.

1. james123

james123 Newbie

Hello Friends, now i m using window 7, now m thinking to upgrade to window 10....I Want to know that should i upgrade to 10, i mean is window 10 is good for music production or should i stay at window 7.

Thanks Guys :)

3. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

For the most part, you'll see no difference. It's just about the same Windows. If you have any driver trouble, you can go back to Windows 7 within 30 days of upgrading with one-click. I'd say just try it and decide yourself.

4. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Im afraid you´ll have a lot of pro/contra answars for your question james 123!

I keep from upgrade because Win7 works pretty well here and I never even consider upgrade to any other version before Im sure drivers and stuff for my soft and hardware has been made!

Good luck

5. Demon

Demon Producer

I updated to W10 and yes, I was a bit scared... Best decision ever. All my computers are now W10.

That is my experience.

Best of luck to you!

• Agree x 4
    • Disagree x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Interesting x 2
    • Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Kilian102201

Kilian102201 Member

Watch this little video about the improvement dedicated for the Real audiophiles ! :)
    http://video.namm.org/general/A3E_Microsoft_Keynote.mp4

Windows has never really downgraded in any sort of way. (At least in my point of view)
    Yes there are allot of pre-programmed settings (that probably nobody would like at all) in the "Clean" installment of windows 10. But if you are good with windows on the inside and i mean like IT good and/or a bit nerdy then you'll be fine to run your own audiophile system in no time.
    If you are still scared, then maybe you just don't want to put the work in for an completely updated and fully running system (Just Saying) ?

In Terms of drivers you need to be aware of all your installers that are currently on your computer.
    Make sure you can make a backup of those installers somewhere !
    Then you're pretty much safe. Besides that windows 10 always searches for the latest drivers.
    If you don't want that you can always go back to a previous one (whatever you prefer ofcourse)

If you want to check out some more detailed explanations for the inside of windows 10 etc.
    Just search around everwhere on the internet and you'll find tons of improvements and little tweaks that can help make your system even better.

Besides this whole story I am quite curious why other people won't upgrade (Besides your drivers or the privacy setting etc.) ?

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

I'm not a fan of win10, I would avoid it. More important, developpers, if they decided to stick with win7 maybe you should too.
    A producer or engineer or musician shouldn't waste time searching for compatibilities issues with their plugins, betas drivers and crap. They should be making music...on windows 7.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Did they, really? For the most part, it's just a matter of preference. Most developers stick to OS X Yosemite and do all their development there :P

9. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

guys there is no compatibility issue anymore. I'm using Win 10 since its debut and I never ran through driver/compatibility issues. I use my laptop to write, compose (Cubase) but also to play live gigs (Ableton Live, Cantabile, Cubase itself)... tons of VSTi, never a problem. people thinking "omg no!!! stick with win7!!!!" are just dull, to me. there is no reason why Win 10 should be denigrated or ran down, BUT still there are people saying stick with 7 because..... well, because it's better OF COURSE!

but why the hell. have you ever tested Win 10? no. congratulations.

• Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

First I used Win 7 and I had a few glitches in Kontakt. Upgrading to Win 8.1 fixed this issue. Finally I upgraded to Win 10 a few months ago and I noticed some added stability on Studio One.

So my experience has only been positive and I would recommend to upgrade, assuming of course that your hardware (if you have some) is compatible with this version of Windows. This should be very simple to check it nowadays. I wouldn't worry for the software since you can always run the compatibility mode just in case.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  11. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

My Windows 10 installation is just about unusable. It started out wonderful but slowly deteriorated. The audio interface performance began degrading after initially working fine, with the driver freezing completely on occasion, plugins and other software started disappearing, DAW crashes, sudden restarts against my wish to perform updates almost daily ... I could go on :) I can't wait to install an optimized modified version of Win 7 and reset my audio environment.

Best of luck with your choice :wink:

• Interesting Interesting x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  12. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

13. rosko

rosko Ultrasonic

Do you recommend a clean install? I'm a bit put off by all the reinstall of software i would have to do, but then that's always a good way to install only the things you use. Still a great deal of work though & i could do with a bigger SSD for my system drive than what i have so maybe a good time to start again.

14. Kilian102201

Kilian102201 Member

Which developers are you specifically talking about (OS developers, Plugins developers, ?). Because at the end of the day they all need to develop software or whatever for every platform for as far as i know. Besides that it would be pretty stupid to not have any look on the nearby future.
    The same goes for upgrading at all. If you never tried an upgrade towards something new you'll always stay in you old habits with the same old habits in your music making process (So i think your argument "They should be making music" is in some way inrellevant). Sometimes it's good to get out of that same old comfort zone and take on a new challenge :)

I'm actually surprised and pretty happy that allot of people are happy with their upgrade and haven't had problems that they would've had when they would stick to older platforms.
    So at the end of the day it's still something you prefer or not. But i wouldn't mind to recommend it ! :)

15. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Fanboys like you never ever have any argument, AND they put dislike and such when you actually have some...Sad world.
    Spend 5 minutes on the sister site, check the comments of 5 releases on windows and you will see who wines and complains "why isn't it working"...Get a decent system, and enjoy making music.
    Why the hell would I test a bloody buggy sh...y system, I'm not a fanboy, I make music, that would be idiotic.

16. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

i'm not a fanboy, I'm just saying: don't put shit on something, if this something actually works FINE. thank you for the advice, now I'm a happier person, thanks so much :) <3

exactly THIS. CVD lol

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  17. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Sure Fanboy, not a Fanboy at all. :rofl:

18. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

This is not a Mac/Apple issiue... so your comment is pretty unnecesery and doesnt support this thread in any way! Any chance you could keep from comment in a Win section in the future??? And play with the Mac-kids elswhere?

19. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Being on both sides simultaneously, I find this offensive. Mac is the only platform that allows you to develop for both Mac and PC, so all the devs sit there with their Macs. For Windows, I already said. Nobody really cares, use whatever version you wan't, there isn't much difference at all. Unless you're a XP kid, but then you should probably reconsider your life choices.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

I haven't had a single issue with Windows 10 since I upgraded when it was first released. In fact, that's probably the first time I have been able to say that in the 17 years I've been a Windows user :rofl:

Personally, I think its the best version of Windows for both music production, gaming and development. It runs super efficient and with dramatically less need for maintenance than previous versions. As far as driver functionality goes, the only thing you have to worry about is whether your hardware manufacturer provides support for Windows 10, that's really it. If you're not sure, take a look at the manufacturer's support forums and see there's any reported issues. If there is, then make an informed decision from there. This is pretty basic stuff everyone should already know when upgrading to a new OS.

As far as the hardware I run on my system goes, its as follows: UAD Apollo Twin USB, NI Komplete Audio 6, Stainberg UR22, Access VirusTI, NI Maschine, Nektar Panorama P6, AkaiLPK25. All of which run flawlessly without any problems. Luckily, most of these manufacturers already had existing support in the form of previously released drivers for Windows 7 and Windows 8. The UAD Apollo Twin is the most recent piece of gear I own but shipped with Windows 10 support at the time of its release.

As far software goes, I run Cubase 8.5 and your usual vst suspects (Native Instruments, Arturia, Korg, Waldorf, etc), all 64bit. Everything running smoothly without any problems. One thing I should mention, I do run a legit system so all the software I'm using is paid for.

Just short of checking to make sure your computer can handle the Windows 10 requirements and verifying driver/software support, I think all in all you should be fine upgrading. :wink:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  21. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Im really sorry you find my comment offensive, but you´re still in a Win thread .... even you claim you´re on both sites!

The rest you say is so FAR OUT Im without words!

Cheers