upgrading pc kinda?

Discussion in 'PC' started by funkman, Feb 15, 2023.

1. funkman

funkman Member

Hi,in 2010 i got a pc built by a pc building company,who else?
    i will list the spec
    Coolermaster centurion 590 tower
    ASUS M4A89GTD PROUSB3 Motherboard
    AMD Phenom IIX6 1090T
    Antec 1000w true power quattro modular
    Corsair Hydro series H50 V2
    Corsair 8GB XM53 Pc3-12800
    ATI Radeon HD4350 Graphics card

i know it was 13 years ago,but how flipping unlucky can i be that the processor isnt able to run Native instruments massive x,or kontakt 7 or unable to upgrade to windows 11 or run slate digital FG-X 2 (without graphics issue)
    anyway,
    any tech heads able to advise if i could put a new modern motherboard in this tower?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Changing the motherboard wont solve the NI (and some others) problem.
    This problem is related to the chip architecture. You need a chip that includes AVX.
    There are no chip with AVX instructions that works with AM3 socket (your motherboard's socket)

Fix:Cheap but not future proof, go for an AVX ready chip and an AM4 motherboard.
    Example AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8GHz + any AM4 motherboard. + DDR 4 ram.
    (There is a lot of choice, prices, etc..)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
  4. BenniTheBlockbuster

BenniTheBlockbuster Producer

Bro , this is some real old Stuff right Here .
    I think it would be much better to buy a new Board , processor , RAM etc .

5. funkman

funkman Member

thanks for reply, would my existing tower,power supply, fans all be useable again then with new board and processer?

6. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Things you can use:

- PSU
    : 1000 Watts is more than enough (unless you are using a Xeon W with like 28 cores or more)
    - The Case? If it supports ATX mainboards and you can actually take ot all the components.

Rest: new

- Cooler: too small for current CPUs. You need a 280 or 360 for Skylake and newer, I would say.
    - New CPU and Mainboard.
    - RAM: DDR 4 or newer is required for current Chipsets
    - GPU: depends for what you need it.

As mentioned by Olymoon your issue is missing CPU instructions. On the Intel side, Haswell and newer supports AVX 2.

7. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

That CPU/GPU should be able to run Kontakt 7. If you get black GUI with K7, try "Black GUI Fixer" from vkDanilov's portable Kontakt.

If you want to do it manually, add these two settings:

k7blackgui.png

You need to restart your DAW and Kontakt after adding those.

8. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

From my computer tech point of view (thousand computers under my hand), you should sell the whole PC and build/buy another one.

So you can sell a whole working PC.
    Instead of selling separate parts ... or never selling them (too complicated).

And buy second hand one with the right specs.
    5 years old second hand PC will be enough AND a lot cheaper than new PC/parts.

Another point is buying the new one first, so you can transfer easily files from a working one to another working one.

Just my 2 cents :wink:

9. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

that's a nice spec for its age,

for Windows 11, you ideally want a spec that natively supports TPMv2 as it's an official mandatory requirement for Windows 11 installation (there are workarounds, but why bother with hassle when you're going new anyway),

you will need new processor, new motherboard and new RAM, that's bare minimum,

assuming you want to stay with AMD platform, cheapest decent processor pick is AMD Ryzen 5 7600 which includes integrated graphics, and package includes stock cooler,
    for motherboard, assuming you want ASUS again, something like ASUS TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WIFI or ASUS ROG STRIX B650-A GAMING WIFI,
    for RAM (memory), something like Kingston Fury Beast Black 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5200 CL36,

power supply is okay, but you should consider buying new one for proper reliable operation,
    PC case is okay, motherboard form factor remains ATX past decades, but you can treat yourself with something newer fancier if you want of course,
    your current cpu liquid cooler would require new matching bracket for new cpu socket, not sure if that's worth the hassle or even possible for that model, as written above, 7600 (non X) does include cooler in the box,
    graphics card is not needed, as written above 7600 processor does have its own graphics chip (which is better than your HD4350 anyway) and those both aforementioned motherboards do have digital video outputs,

that said, do note you might want new monitor (VGA analog connections are matter of past) and new mouse and keyboard (PS2 connectivity is no longer used)
    :chilling:

10. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Yes

11. funkman

funkman Member

thanks for all replies.all info is good. keep it comming