Upgrading my home studio gear... Need some monitor advice

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Torrao, Mar 22, 2017.

?

What monitors should I get?

1. Focal Alpha 50/65

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Focal CMS 50/65

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Adam A5X/A7X

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  4. Genelec M030/M040

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Genelec 8030/8040

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Genelec 8330

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  7. Neumann KH 120

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  8. Other (please leave a comment!)

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  9. Hedd Type 05

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

Hi!

Got a new job, so I'm finally upgrading my trusty "newb" stuff that I've been using since forever. I'm trying to get on track with cool stuff on more upper tiers, and here is my plan so far:

Interface:
    - Audient ID22 = 410€ (I have it already)

Headphones:
    - AKG K712 = 220€ (insane price-to quality ratio. Hard to drive, but I've read reports of them performing fine with the ID22. I can always return them if they don't.

Monitors: Here is where it gets tricky, and where I need your help the most. My room is around 8,5m2 (L-shaped, 10m2 counting "non-usable" area) so I'm looking for somewhat "compact" monitors (no rear ported designs) up to 7" max. There are no decent pro-audio stores around here, so it has to be blind shopping. So far I've narrowed it down to these:

- Focal Alpha 50/65 = 520€/630€ (these are way cheaper than the rest, but maybe they're good enough?)
    - Focal CMS 50/65 = 800€/1000€
    - Adam A5X/A7X = 700€/1100€
    - HEDD Type 05 = 876€
    - Neumann KH 120 = 1278€
    - Genelec M030/M040 = 775€/1250€
    - Genelec 8030/8040 = 954€/1578€
    - Genelec 8330 = 1538

I'm most likely financing them anyway, so money is somewhat secondary. Obviously I don't want to "overpay" either, and I don't know if the pricier ones would be bottlenecked by the Audient ID22 converters. I'll be using them as main speakers for casual music listening, guitar playing/writing and mixing. Mostly rock & metal music if that's relevant.

So please help me out! If you know better alternatives in the same price range, don't hold it! :mates:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  3. shomyca

shomyca Producer

4. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

Man, these are my all time "wet dream" monitors, but can't sadly afford to spend that amount of money without financing (which eBay doesn't allow).

I'll keep on dreaming :sad:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Spinks D

Spinks D Member

Focal CMS 65's for me at least were a better, cleaner sound than the Adam A7x. The Alpha range were far too boomy for my ears and sounded like they were significantly cheaper. Just my personal opinion

6. errorjan

errorjan Ultrasonic

If you're looking for headphones with a neutral frequency response, AKG K712 are not the first choice. They have a 3db boost at the lows. That is what they make sound better when test-listening in a store, but it's not good in terms of that you don't exactly hear what you created/what is playing.. Also, for 220 € I would select some with little bit more impedance (>100 Ohm), but that is secondary.

If you can spend 80 more, you'll probably be very happy with Sennheiser's HD 650.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Nearfeild wet dream Genelec 8350a. On a budget neirfeilds Sceptre S8's w/ Subwoofer Pro's Studio Sub 18" supplemented w/a pair of Auratone 5c's.

8. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

The Sennheiser HD600's have a flatter response than the 650s and are a little less expensive (bonus!!). I've owned 2 pairs over the past 17 years. Love 'em!!!

9. errorjan

errorjan Ultrasonic

Yeah should be pretty much the same, except like you said they're are a bit cheaper. BTW: here is a nice comparsion, also the AKG K712 are in the chart (but keep the boost issue in mind)
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/cat_rank.html?ar=209892&sid=2f332857efa1524adb5c8cded99c42b2

10. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

Man, those kind of threads are useless. Everyone has own opinion and in the end you still know nothing. With that kind of money you can afford to spend, just go in a well stocked shop with professional audio gear and try for yourself, what you actually like. I'm sure you can afford that, even if the store aren't nearby you.

11. errorjan

errorjan Ultrasonic

Sounds the answers "Yeah should be pretty much the same" or "Man, these are my all time wet dream monitors" like we have different opinions?
    And for the other, isn't it mentioned that it is someones own opinion? "The Alpha range were far too boomy for my ears and sounded like they were significantly cheaper. Just my personal opinion"

I personlly would be lost when buying something new I'm not familar with and there is nothing to google for except articles which may be faked/supported by companies.

12. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

Yet if you could try whole store of speakers, you will most probably have different speaker you have now. And if store is good and have some reputation, they have someone, who know something about monitors and can guide you if you are new.

13. errorjan

errorjan Ultrasonic

If you was just refering to speakers - ok, maybe there the opinions probably differ more than for - don't know - a washing machine ;)
    Anyhow.. For me personally - thanks to my neightbours I have no knowledge of good speaker systems (but the better is the knowledge for headphones^^) - I would at least take some references posted here before going in the store and listen. Just to have at least a basic idea what to compare.

Maybe I'm wrong and after seeing the 100th "which system is better" thread here my mind changes - I'm here for some days and you for 3 years. Also, I don't want to make this offtopic comment a science again (I'm on a good way|-), so let's leave it at that.

Peace :)

14. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

One thing we can all agree to have in common, is suffering from incurable gearlust. I could recommend a multitude of speakers and make a case for their strengths and weaknesses. The thing is, your budget (around 1500 euros as you implied) is at the threshold of the prices of the better speakers, like the Focal Solo6 for instance (around 2k new). (Adam has a new series btw which supposedly rocks , etc etc).
    My suggestion is wait some months and get a pair of the really good ones. No matter which one you choose, its a longtime marriage of sorts. And to speak the truth i know many peeps who are divorced but kept their speakers lol. So patience is a virtue mate. With all the respect, "keep it to your pants" and wait 'till you are able to grab the upper class since you are almost there economically :)
    EDIT: Just a word of caution. No matter how good a speaker pair is, its irrelevant if one doesn't have the ear for it. Better speakers do not grant us better ears. So before you spend your money be sure you can at least distinguish the details that separate a good mix from a bad mix
    EDIT2: Since you can't physically access all the speakers you may want to buy, it would be dumb to spend your money based on opinions from nameless characters on a board. Learn what speakers your favorites tracks were mixed on. What your favorite artists use. Read any pro review you can get in your hands, etc :)

15. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Yamaha or Tannoy.

16. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Five pieces of advice:

- Go for 7" or 8" so you won't go looking for a sub after a month
    - Studio monitors are usually there to stay for at least a couple of years, so it's better to wait and buy better ones than buy crap ones and go looking for another ones after a month
    - Never ever buy new from store, always look up used - great used gear always beats cheap new gear and the price is often similar
    - No matter what you decide, try to listen before buying at all costs. If it means you'd have to drive to dude's house, do so. Or get to a nearby bigger city with a quality music store and tell them you'd want to listen to what they have and compare. I did, had a chance to compare Presonus E5 and E8 directly (even though I've been looking at ADAM/Eve stuff, considered getting a pair of A7Xs, also had a look at Yamaha HS8s), played some of the music I know and/or made on them, took a couple of notes, walked out and ended up buying the E8s a month later as I've found a good deal on them
    - But really, in terms of monitors... just get a pair and move on, it's not that big of a deal, you'll get used to how yours sound. Get a reputable brand and you'll be fine. Also, room setup is a must. This means getting your room totally empty, doing the clap test, setting up the listening position, then and only then bringing back the rest of your stuff. And don't put your monitors to close to a wall, 30cm is a bare minimum.

17. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

all nice gear. Finding what works best for you is a little harder, since you can't take each one home. My room is pretty large, so I am more of a mid-field guy. If I could switch out my KRK Rokit 10/3"s, I would probably be looking at Event. Event is associated with Rode. I have 10" woofers, and I still ended up getting a sub (JBL series3). And I like new gear most of the time, because it comes with a warranty. http://www.eventelectronics.com/2030

18. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

Thank you guys for your great advice. It is very much appreciated, keep it going! :)

Bear in mind that I'm not asking "which ones are the best". In fact, if I gathered these options is because all of them are well regarded. The concept here is how the prices escalate, and if it's worth saving more and buying one over another, etc. As some of you said, I'll adapt to them anyway and will stay for a looong time so that's why I'm asking for advice.

I also discarded big monitors for space restrictions but I could consider 7" woofers if they're not *too* deep, since you're supposed to be at a minimum distance from them. For reference currently I am less than 70cm away from my 20cm deep monitors, which are next to the wall. I know this is not ideal but it's the space I have, that's why I want to improve it a bit with "non rear-ported" monitors.

Thanks for your comment. However, if the thread is useless or not is something for me to decide (since I'm the one asking for advice). As I stated in the thread I don't have a decent audio store to visit nearby, nor the time to do it. In any case, those speakers would sound completely different on my room, unless I buy them all and return the ones I don't like (while spending 5k in the process). If I could I'd surely do it. There are also things you maybe can't notice on a store that people can warn you beforehand, like speaker hiss, known issues, etc.

That is indeed a great advice I didn't think of!

19. GodHimSelf

GodHimSelf Platinum Record

I can help you on the headphones.

I have a pair o HD650s. They cost me 350€ on amazon, I think. I use them for studio-related business, but I have to admit they do sound awesome for listening to music also (pair them with schiit tubed-stuff, roll one and you're done for the evening). People around the internets say the 650s are not neutral, but rather their older brother - the hd600 - tend to be more clinic/cynic towards your sound, kind of boring sometimes. Anyway, the 650s are the clear winners at this price-point (guns being pointed), I listened to the 712 once and didn't like them though they are pretty detailed (internet peeps say they are really good also).

The 650 are not fatiguing, they are responsive with a very round bass. You may want to try the Studioworks Headphone reference on them. There is a characteristic "dark veil" on them like the sound is enveloped, without degrading the sound (metaphysical explanations...)
    I have tried both models (hd600 vs 650) and can recommend you the 650 as you want to listen to music also.

Remember one thing, you can have the most expensive speakers in the world, but if your room is not treated, they may still sound fine, but they won't be representative of what you built.

20. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

Well anyone need at least two pair of speakers for evaluation purposes. Maybe next time you will listen. Meantime

Part 3 will be about budget(under 1000 pair) monitors

21. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Wow, I remember the old event 2020s. I had a friend who had a pair of these and she loved them. This was the best budget monitor back in the day, hands down. I wonder how their new models are. Probably just as decent I would assume.