Upgrading my gear. (From laptop to desktop)

Discussion in 'PC' started by wonderchild, Apr 1, 2016.

?

PC or MAC?

1. PC

15 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. MAC

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

Well mac is closed environment, so naturally it has better predispositions for stability. But that doesn't mean is not possible to build equaly stable PC. Is just harder because you need to do some research on your own and have some common sense, contrary to MAC brand, where they do that for you. Everything start with hardware and when we are building working machine, stabiliy and compatibiliy between different hardware, hardware and software(drivers) are nuber one priorities. So first you look for quality brands that have best quality control. Please don't fall on performance charts in reviews and other bulshit. Rather find first quality motherboard. Remember, less function you dont need, more possibilities it will be stable. Then go for list of brands and particular memory model that was tested with that matherboard. Again choosing something from that list with best QC and with full support with whatewer configuration should furter increase possibility, you will end up with stable machine. Next of course is power supply. Make sure you choose well tested one and well known one for quality with juice reserve. That way you will have some reserve for future build and PS will work with less stress on electronic components which increase possibility for longer lifespan. Again don't fall on latest and greatest. Rather choose between best ones of previous generation, so you can be more sure what is real quality and what was just mambo jumbo talk(reviews) within release. Then you should stop a bit and go to software side and ask yourself what system you will run(for what will machine be and what OS and other software will be best for that purpose). When you are decided, next question is naturally be for what you will use machine. If for audio production, then normally next thing is something that produce and recieve sound. With that again you look for stability, so something that is very compatibile with OS(and potentially for further versions) and have best driver suport possible of course among audio futures you need.

With that kind of thinking you will increase possibilities to build really really stable PC, rather than just choose what is best price/performance of particular hardware, stick them together and hope it will work. Most time it will, but what if not? But is true PC hardware have become better through years.

2. wonderchild

wonderchild Member

Thanks for the answer. I agree with all of these things. But I don't have the patience to look all these details you mention and so in depth. And I don't have the knowledge. I looked for a pre-made/ready built Desktop (I don't know if I said that right). I can't even put together these parts, so for me it's hard to look for all these things you mention.

3. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

Yes then maybe prebuild system with 3-5 years guarantee is best in your case for first PC build.

4. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Very happy since I built it from scratch. I'm not a gamer therefore I decided to save on the graphic card.

5. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

i say no to any kind of magnetic hdd

i love macs, but unless you can afford at least 256 ssd in it, better 500+, windows is better in my opinion

if you have the money treat yourself yolo, give some money to the poor

6. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Unless you have a very sensible and SPECIFIC REASON to use a Mac, Get a PC instead.

Sensible reasons may include:
    • More stable/simpler Audio IO (coreaudio, core MIDI etc) maybe??? idk
    • Garageband/logic or other Mac-specific software
    Or go hackintosh?

7. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Why not a dual-boot Hackintosh?

8. G String

G String Rock Star

It's got to be PC if you have any eye on value for money or thrift.

You get far more stuff for your dollar.

9. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

To follow up on my previous comment, having 32 gb of RAM in the pc allows to run OSX in a VM without any glitch.

I'm now test running Logic Pro X but continue using Studio One on the Windows side. This is even better than dual boot.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List