Upgrading my gear. (From laptop to desktop)

Discussion in 'PC' started by wonderchild, Apr 1, 2016.

?

PC or MAC?

1. PC

15 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. MAC

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. wonderchild

wonderchild Member

I want to buy a new computer. My budget is 2k currently. Right now I have a pretty good laptop (VAIO, 2-core i7 @ 2.8 and 8GB RAM). But I want a desktop. My question is. Windows based PC or MAC? I mean for that kind of money from what I saw PC is a better option-spec based-but the Apple ones from what I've heard are more stable and bla bla. For 2k I can have a desktop with 32 gigs RAM. A 2 TB HDD and 128 SSD, an i7 @ 4gHz. On the other side If I go for an Apple then all I can have is an iMac with 8 gigs RAM a pretty good quad core i7 and 1 TB HDD (5200 rpm, toplel). What's your opinion/advice? Keep in mind i want a desktop exclusively for music production.

PS: My English are pretty shitty, so excuse me for that. Have a good day. :bow:

3. Jochen

Jochen Noisemaker

for desktop always pc! for laptop always macbook 15 with maxed out processor! no other laptop has processors as strong as a macbook, but even a shitty desktop outperforms a mac dekstop for 2k!

4. wonderchild

wonderchild Member

Thanks for the answer.

5. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

For 2k you can do far better. Those specs would come to 1k (at least where I'm living).

6. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

I was in your situation one month ago and I chose a pc with a i7 6700t with 32 gb ram (among other things).

I believe that going for a Mac only makes sense if you are considering using Logic Pro X.

7. wonderchild

wonderchild Member

Nah. I searched it pretty good. That's all I can have. With a good case of course and among these things a very good graphic card and motherboard. I mean I tried to do put together good things. Not only a good RAM and a good hard disk.

8. wonderchild

wonderchild Member

And are you happy from the PC you got?

9. E.C.R

E.C.R Platinum Record

i built my own pc 12 months ago, i7, 32gb ram 500sdd and 3 tb 7200 hdd, i have since purchased more external sdd drives for my big libraries, it has been running almost non stop since i had it built (pc by the way) and it still purrs, omnisphere, big kontakts,like a dream, and that cost me 3,000 oz (about 1400 Pounds or 2 k US dollar}.....get the bigger ssd, it helps,,,windows 7

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  10. wonderchild

wonderchild Member

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

11. NextGenSound

NextGenSound Kapellmeister

I bought a mac a little while ago and found it to be quite expensive for what it can do...In retrospect I think my money was better spent building my own pc to the specifications I wanted, it would have been much cheaper. I also own a macbook pro i5 with 8gig ram and use it mainly to compose on the road via logic pro x, then I stem the mixes out though a console and record into my mac...I think with the money spent on both systems combined I could have purchased a killer windows laptop and built a killer pc and still had money left over for some more outboard gear! Hope it works out for you! Whatever you get I'm sure you'll make some good tunes on it! Best of Luck!

12. wonderchild

wonderchild Member

I've never used an Apple computer so I have no idea. No one near me has a Mac too, so no clue. But everywhere I've searched the only thing that all people agree is that the Mac is for sure more stable than any PC. I mean I can't understand why they say that. Maybe you could help me since you use a Mac. Thank you very much. Have a nice day. :bow:

13. NextGenSound

NextGenSound Kapellmeister

I've owned both Windows and Mac and the stability issues I read about I've never encountered to be honest. I may have been lucky but I think the mac being more stable thing is a little exaggerated (take my opinion with a grain of salt because I'm not a computer expert by any means)!! I think stability has more to do with drivers of external devices rather than operating system (I think on a pc you can turn off many behind the scenes functions and make it more multimedia driven). I have to say on my mac I don't have many issues but I didn't on my pc either, I switched when I purchased my iphone and ipad because I wanted to network them all together. Also I really like Logic's midi features...Although I hear Cubase is incredible!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  14. wonderchild

wonderchild Member

Plus I don't want it for some crazy stuff.
    Thank you so much. You helped me a lot.

PS: Ableton all the way. :bleh:

15. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

I would also advice getting a modular power supply and an eATX compatible case, even though it may cost more, it will futureproof your build a lot longer.

16. wonderchild

wonderchild Member

I'll check that out.

17. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

Modular power supply: Allows you to Remove most of the cables you dont use from the PSU box, which in turn saves case space and improves airflow.
    eATX Case: Supports the biggest available motherboard that currently exists. This means you can put multiple graphics cards in in the future or use the PCIe slots for M2 memory or w/e.

18. wonderchild

wonderchild Member

I guess it was so obnvious before that I didn't know what those things you told me were. Thanks for telling me. :wink:

19. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

No problem! :wink:

20. If given the choice between apples and oranges, the orange always comes out on top.

21. wonderchild

wonderchild Member

[​IMG]