Upgrading from Yosemite... Mojave or Catalina?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Bunty_19, May 9, 2021.

1. Bunty_19

Bunty_19 Member

Dear Experts,

I’ve been working on Yosemite till now, my Hackintosh OS got corrupted needing OS reinstall. Need advice which of the 2 OS is better in terms of running plugins especially Logic, Kontakt.
    Apologies if this has been answered already, have tried to search here.

3. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

Mojave if you want to keep your 32-bit plug-ins.
    Catalina if you don’t.
    I’m not getting anywhere near Big Sur.

4. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

I'm using Big Sur for my daily work now. Since 11.3 it's pretty good. But I am using a Hackintosh anyway. So switching between Catalina and Big Sur is easy for me. If I was using a real Mac, I'd stay on Catalina since I've left 32 bit pluginsbehind a long time ago.

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

what is in Catalina that is worth running it for over Mojave?

6. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

Latest update is only working with Catalina 10.15.7 and it's safe to say that one of the next updates demands Big Sur. That's how Apple works unfortunately. If you don't need 32-bit plug-ins anymore, just go for Catalina. It makes the next step also easier. Besides, everything works by now. Same can be said about Big Sur (almost, that is). Apple M1 will be a different story though.

7. izotope666

izotope666 Member

I am on BigSur, and everything is running smooth. No issues. If you need 32bit plugins, then stay on Mojave.

8. Bunty_19

Bunty_19 Member

Any issues faced for latest Kontakt version?

9. aeroflot

aeroflot Kapellmeister

Mojave I downgraded On my Newly Bought Imac
    @Bunty_19 You d be stuck at LPX 10.5 of I remember well ?o Live loops Thp Ableton Live is here for That IMSHO

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

The same thing with Logic, is there something in 10.6 worth moving to Catalina? if it was 10.5, that's a big difference. but 10.6?

Logic
    Pro 10.6 Update

• Improved performance and efficiency on Mac computers with Apple silicon.
    • Adds the ability to control Step Sequencer using Logic Remote on your iPad or iPhone to create beats, bass lines, and melodic parts.
    • Supports all Novation Launchpad controllers.
    • Stability and performance improvements.

11. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

10.6.2 (and also previous releases) had a lot more improvements and bug fixes, a whole list actually when checking the changelog or release notes. I truly think a DAW should always be uptodate but that's just my opinion of course.

12. clone

clone Audiosexual

10.5 was a very big update. a lot of stuff with Smart Tempo was changed in 10.4, but the changes with Step Sequencer, DMD, Quick Sampler, Ultrabeat, etc in 10.5 were much more new/changed stuff than 10.6. 10.5 was a very impressive free update.

My questions have gone relatively unanswered because Catalina also has very little new in it. Sidecar? I don't think any of the added "problems" with application installs in Catalina are worth it. I would skip over it entirely if you can update the machine to Big Sur, or just leave it as Mojave. It will run anything you can run on Catalina. but that's just me.

13. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

Alright, in terms of really big differences I must agree. But I'm always surprised when I receive a new LPX update, check the changelog, and see how long the list is. Unfortunately some bugs are still not fixed. Probably because not enough users reported it. That's a pitty. I mean, shouldn't be a program that's around for so long and already reached v10 be 'perfect' and 100% stable by now? I guess unforseen things will always be part of it (DAW, plug-ins, other tools etc.)