Upgrading from VENTURA INTEL to M3 SONOMA

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by caveatemptor, Jun 1, 2024.

1. caveatemptor

caveatemptor Newbie

How much of my cracked intel plugins will function? Arturia V Collection? Moria intel cracks? etc
    I'm quite hesitant to upgrade and lose many, but my old machine is crapping out.
    Anyone have any insight if the intel plugins will work on M3 Sonoma?

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

This is too big of a question's scope to answer with any kind of accuracy. You would need to post a list of every plugin you use and then it could be cross-referenced to see what is available for anything you might need to download more stuff. The amount of plugins that people have not gotten to work correctly on Apple Silicon machines is a relatively small number in the greater scheme of things. A lot of the plugins you might "lose" for Intel, you aren't able to use in Sonoma anyway.

There are so many plugins out there, you can replace almost anything with a substitute anyway; and that is worst case scenario. I would just do the upgrade it and worry about it later. You lost out on more plugins when you updated past Mojave.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

Intel-based plugin cracks will usually function via Rosetta,
    Apple Silicon native plugins often require new cracks,
    releases with U2B are supposed to be cracked universal binary (working both Rosetta and Apple Silicon native),

some DAWs (like Reaper) can run Rosetta plugins while DAW itself runs Apple Silicon native,
    other DAWs (like ProTools) you gotta decide to run in Rosetta mode DAW itself, then all plugins will show only as Intel-based ones,
    some DAWs (like latest Logic) may no longer offer Rosetta mode,

since you're getting new M3 Mac with new MacOS, you can leave your old machine untouched and transition to new platform gradually,
    that said, you won't be able to migrate your MacOS system to new system, you'll have to start clean from scratch

5. caveatemptor

caveatemptor Newbie

Thanks. That kinda sucks and is what I was dreading (I run Logic). Can’t I migrate with migrate assistant and then see which plugins still work? Instead of starting clean from scratch.

6. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

you can try, but keep in mind Intel architecture is way different than Apple Silicon, so you may end up with more problems than benefits,
    that said, migration assistant itself should work, and in case of things go utterly wrong, you can wipe the new Mac and start from scratch again anytime later