Upgrading from High Sierra to... Big Sur? Catalina? Mojave?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by jittter, May 10, 2021.

?

What mac OS version?

1. Big Sur

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. Catalina

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. Mojave

23 vote(s)
    79.3%
  1. Grandy

Grandy Member

i'm considering jumping from sierra to high sierra or mojave. i'm using logic. so 99,9% of plugins works in these both versions and those 30% graphic consuming wont affect my machine for audio production?

2. mr.personality

mr.personality Producer

bing boing

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  3. Krugen

Krugen Ultrasonic

thats so NOT true. Many plugins are not natively supported, and rosetta2 is buggy and crash-happy

I agree on the faster performance

4. spncart

spncart Producer

"Many" lol... which? Sounds like 0, 1 or 2 max to me (as of June 2021).

5. recycle

recycle Guest

I'd choose Mojave: it adds a lot more warmth to the sound: that "vintage" vibe

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Krugen

Krugen Ultrasonic

ill give a quick example

a lot aa plugs are not natively supported

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

I'd rather have my Ti2 using the Virus Control plugin with audio/midi over USB. Unless Access ever do anything about it , I am stuck using Mojave or earlier on loaded 2017 MacBook Pro . (please do not mention Mystery anything).

I would go way out of my way to be able to run Logic at 10.5. It was a very big update from 10.4. Logic 10.5 update actually caused me to not buy Cubase Pro. I had credit card in hand to buy it, and noticed what they were charging their users to update to Cubase 10.5. (like 100$). While Apple gave us this huge update for free, it clearly reminded me of why I do not want to purchase anything from Steinberg as a general rule of thumb.

so my options are Sidecar and Logic 10.6, vs. Logic 10.5 with a happy Virus. not exactly a tough decision for making some music.

8. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I'm still on Mojave, but my machine won't go above Catalina. I haven't made the jump mainly because my antiquated audio interface doesn't have a 64-bit driver (though I could still use it in Catalina via Core Audio). You still have the advantage of using 32-bt software with Mojave, though I've gotten rid of about 99 percent of all 32-bit stuff off of my machine in case I ever decide to make the jump. By the way, a surprising amount of people are still using High Sierra, and, in some cases, even just Sierra. The only reason I could think of for upgrading to Catalina or Big Sur is, you're a Logic user, and all the new updates just won't run on Mojave or lower.