Upgrading from 10.8 to 10.11 (Mac OS)

Discussion in 'Software' started by wildfire, Jun 13, 2016.

1. wildfire

wildfire Newbie

Hi fellow audiolovers

Im currently considering updating my macbook from 10.8 to 10.11 just to get the recent updates for some of my software. And more specifically to try out Kush Audios new omega transformers. I have a 2012 macbook pro, configured with a fast processor and 8 gigs ram. Currently i have gone by the way of, if it aint broken dont fix it, and therefore i have never upgraded my OS.

However have anyone done this? And if so what are the pros and cons?

Im a bit terrified to do so, because of a few horror stories with Macbooks that began to run slower, and never really worked the same way afterwards.

3. DKB

DKB Producer

I updated from 10.9 to 10.11 and I'd say it's worth the update . My MacBook Pro runs quicker my software runs a lot better a few cpu intensive plugs now run better . I did install over the top of 10.9 I didn't want to spend days reinstalling all my plugs . I was also worried Maschine studio and my focusrite sound card wouldn't work but Infact there running better now . I had no issues in upgrading it at all . All my plugs work fine apart from camal phat .

MacBook Pro

4. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

My MBP is 2013 and works fine with the latest OSX. The only thing may be some drivers... if you have an older audio card just check with the manufacturer if they drivers are compatible with the latest OSX, or if they have new versions.

5. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

Always better to do a clean install, even if no Windows. I upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion, just did a clean install of El Cap.
    It's easy, the only thing you need after downloading the OS is creating a bootable installer, lots YT vids on that, like this one:

If you don't want to get near Terminal, there's also a free software to create a bootable El Capitan USB stick:
    http://diskmakerx.com/diskmaker-x-5-x-est-enfin-disponible/?lang=en

Pro to just updating the current OS would be that it's faster, but if you have a Time Machine backup you can use Migration Assistant
    to import all your settings, files & apps, so that argument doesn't fly..

6. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

I myself have a Macbook Pro (late 2011 i7) with an SSD partitioned for both 10.8 and 10.11. Why? For my purposes:

1) Pro Tools 10.3.10 won't install on nor survive the upgrade to OS 10.11.
    2) Other audio software I tend to use was likewise deprecated by or with 10.11.
    3) Logic Pro 9 still would run on 10.8; though I have deleted it, I could install it again. (I have LP 10.2 on 10.11.)
    4) Latest k'd Bitwig wouldn't install on 10.11 (thanks to a Java issue per that OS's idiosyncracy), but it would on 10.8.
    5) Anticipation of other unexpected/unforseen incompatibilities.

OS 10.11 runs well; better than 10.10. If your software will survive the upgrade, go for it. (That which will not can be left on a 10.8 partition.)
    If you haven't, upgrade to an SSD for the system disk.
    Advice if you do a dual partition: do the partitioning in 10.8 first (long story); make sure you have enough space for the OS and software, with some headroom left over; delete the stuff you'll be using on the 10.11 partition, unless it's absolutely necessary to leave it or your system disk is capacious enough.
    Also: a "clean install" of the 10.11 upgrade will run much better than if installed over a previous version of the OS.

7. DKB

DKB Producer

My macs running quicker I just didn't do a clean install as I haven't got a week spare to reinstall everything ( komplete 10 , logic X , omnisphere, trilian take a day on there own lol and I've got project commitments it's was only the fact apple screwed us all with the new logic update that I had no choice but to update . But once I have the time I will do a clean install to see if it improves its speed but it's running much better than Mavericks did .

8. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

I'm on a MacPro 1.1 and on 10.11.5. It seems to be performing a tad better than Yosemite. I'm just glad I was able to work around the limitations Apple put on the 1.1 systems for OS updates.

9. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

really? That's great, I thought some of the limitations were hardware based... that's awesome signalflow...

10. wildfire

wildfire Newbie

Thanks for all the feedback. I think ill try to upgrade soon.

Sorry for the late answer though i ran into a lot of stuff to deal with in the meantime.

11. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

always do fresh install, the whole experience will be smoother and all your apps should open a tad faster