Upgrading CPU

Discussion in 'PC' started by Mostwest, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

hi guys, how is going?? I'm thinking to upgrade my i3 550 3.20 Ghz to the i7 4790k 4.0 Ghz. I will need to change my motherboard of course since the socket will be different. I'm still looking for a good mobo, i'm actually using a cheap MSI 2A9C

Can someone suggest me a good mobo? Nothing crazy, but a good one.

I've read that the i7 will support "DDR3 and DDR3L 1333/1600 at 1.5V" . I'm currently using 3 x 2 gb DDR3 @ 1333 (6 gb). But i'm still plaining to buy a single ram with 8 gb.
    Should i buy a DDR3 1333 or the 1600 version? There is a big difference between them performance-wise??
    It's better

3x2 gb + 1x8 gb @ so 14 gb @ 1333
    or
    1x8 gb @ 1600

???

I'm not a gamer, maybe some old games like BF Bad Company 2 but i'll use it mainly for music production purpose alongside Studio One wich will use no more than 3-4 gb of ram for each project. Thank you guys.

High-End CPUs

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  3. drizz22

drizz22 Newbie

why not upgrading to a skylake-system if you already plan on buying a new cpu and a new mobo!? 4790k aint bad (or skylake 6670k aint that much better) but you can get usb 3.1, pcie3.0, fast m2-ssd etc. with the skylake architecture.

cheers!

4. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

thanks for the suggest. I think for now i'll be happy just upgrading a little bit. In the next 2-3 years I will build a new pc from scratch with top hardware and ssd.
    I think also that the 4790k for now will be a good choice when it comes to price/power. Also notice that i'm quite happy with my i3 since was able to manage 150 track edm project in Logic pro X and a good amount in S1. The 4790k will be a nice upgrade for sure.

I've also looked for the i7-5930K but as for the skylake 6670k i have to invest more money on mobo and ram.

5. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

@drizz: maybe mostwest didn't win the lottery yet :)

@Mostwest: I went for the asrock z97 extreme 4 as I wanted many usb ports. Nothing is more annoying than not having enough of them. If you're running hackintosh you might be interested in the z97 extreme 6 as it features a thunderbolt port.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

thanks this could be a good choice, also the price is good. I'm definitely checking out.
    I deleted my latest Hackintosh because i didn't use it that much expect for Logic while waiting for Studio One 3. It's really a shame that Logic is not more on Windows.

7. drizz22

drizz22 Newbie

well yes, there is some price difference btw. 4790k and 6700k, here it is about 40 Euro difference. the price difference of mobos z97 vs. z170 is also about 40 Euros. the only pita would be ram (ddr4 vs ddr3) - but watch out there are also ddr3-compatible z170 boards, like Asus z170-p d3, which costs only about 110 Euro. so i am not sure why you should invest in z97 technology unless you need to save some $ or want a hackintosh NOW.

cheerio!

• List
  8. drizz22

drizz22 Newbie

perfect system for running hackintosh now. hackintosh on skylake is way too early now, lets hope some skylake support from apple/hackintosh scene will follow.

9. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

oops, looks like the prices plummeted since I last looked... never mind :)

10. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Great infos. I'll get everything from Amazon.it and there is no 6700k.

11. Atick

Atick Member

I've got the same processor (4790k) with an asus Z97 mobo and haven't had any problems

12. Medrewb

Medrewb Platinum Record

1. In intel processor when there is K at the end, that is used for overclockers (which you will not need) so, i suggest a i7 without the k (to save money) and
    2.8gb ram is ok. Your motherboard should support 1600mhz tho... so buy a motherboard that support 1600mhz and your ram should be 1600mhz also..
    3.I suggest Corsair Vengeance Ram 8gb 1600mhz or G skill Ripjaws x 8gb 1600mhz.. be sure to enable XMP in bios (youtube "linus ram installation")..
    4.you can also upgrade the ram but make sure that it is the same model

13. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

1) I'm not sure if Intel is making CPUs for people to overclock it. Really i'm not a big fan for the OC. But what about performance is the K version slower than the no-K version?

2)Are the ddr3 1600 better than the ddr3 1333? If not it's about 8 gb VS 14 gb.

3)What the "XMP" feature really does??

4) What happen if i buy a slot from Corsair and then after some time the same exact model from the G skill. Are they compatible or not??

14. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Are you using a particular cooler or just the stock one wich is bundled with 4790k??

15. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

don't know if could help but i'm actually using the HP P6000 series Case

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Atick

Atick Member

no, it was a 'custom build' by scan computers, just had a look on their webpage and can't find the exact model but I think it was about £40 for the fan as it's an overclocked machine

found the link to specs http://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/3xs-ha97-computer-music-pc

• List
  17. Medrewb

Medrewb Platinum Record

1. All gamers overclock their intel cpu..a lot of gamers from my area overclock the K version becaus ITS FOR OVERCL
    1. Its ok if you buy the K version no problem..its just that its an UN-LOCK version where you can tweak the settings... All gamers using intel cpu and wants to over clock will buy the K version...I am just saying you can save money here!
    2.yes 1600mhz is better..but not that much..but please buy 1600mhz.. unless money issue..if you plan on building new pc next year..it will still be fit to use..tho ddr4 came out, its a bit expensive..besides you can buy another 8gb stick and have 8gb x2 (16gb) for upgrading
    3.by default, ur ram will run at 1300mhz (other settings like letancy, voltage,etc .will also be lowered) even if ur ram is 1600mhz..its intel recommendations.... xmp is a profile/settings that will be inbuild in ur ram and if you enable it, ti will run in the "correct" spec that your ram is suppose run.
    4.chances are, it will probably work..but not as its full capacity..as ram have settings like 9-9-9-25 or 9-9-9-27 (these are the values that the xmp profile puts automatically for you, you can also do it manually if you look at the specs) so..its good to have the same latency specs, same voltage,etc...so going the same company, same model type is best...

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  18. Medrewb

Medrewb Platinum Record

And also..higher number (4470,etc.) does not mean higher performance..please look at review so that you will not waste money.. go to http://ark.intel.com and pick your INTEL PROCESSOR you are planning to buy... AND LOOK AT THE MOTHERBOARD SUPPORT LIST.. "BUT" not all motherboards are displayed as they do not always update!! So if ur mother board supports the Generation Socket, your 99% good to go.. and if u are finish picking the mother board, go to the motherboard webiste and look at RAM SUPPORT list.. but these are the ram that the company have TESTED .. if the ram your trying to buy is not displayed here, does not mean that its not supported ..but just to make sure ... its nice to look...

19. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

@Andrew Twirling Great infos thanks! I've read some review about the 4790k vs other famous Intel Cpus. I won't probably upgrade my pc anymore. I'll build my new pc from scratch starting from a 512 gb SSD and i really powerful cpu. but for now I'll probably go for the DDR3 1333 if both CPU and Mobo support it.

20. Medrewb

Medrewb Platinum Record

Good luck mate... go over newegg youtube.. they have lots of cool stuff... shopping guide, build a pc,etc. Good luck! :)

21. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Stupid question: I notice that both "asus Z97 Pro Gamer" and
    "ASRock Mod 1150 Z97 Extreme4" are slightly bigger than my actual mobo. They will fit in my case or not?

MSI 2A9C (actual mobo)
    [​IMG]

Asus Z97 Pro Gamer
    [​IMG]