Upgraded PC to SSD.. Now What?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Nimbuss, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

Hi all

I've just finished migrating my OS and all applications to an SSD drive, I still have the old drive and am formatting it as my Windows 7 boots perfectly off the SSD.

What would some suggestions be as to how i should utilize my resources now? My DAW and Adobe Premiere would be the heaviest tasks.

My old workflow included running samples off external WD drive as well as video when editing, all VSTS were run off the old drive, should I keep the concept the same or could I be doing better?

Drives: SSD (256Gb), Seagate HD (500Gb), x2 1TB External Drives.

Also, will a low-mid end GPU help my CPU deal with VST intensive sessions within my DAW? My CPU is an i5 3470 (I can apparently overclock this to 3.8-4Ghz), Motherboard, JW-B75M-USB3.

Peace

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  3. v-grooves

v-grooves Member

Did you do a fresh install of your O/S or use a migration tool to go to the SSD? If you have the opportunity, it is always best to do a fresh install of an O/S and load only the apps & configs you need, nothing more. You will usually see a difference in performance if you keep it simple with just the apps you need to do your thing.

Just my opinion.....did this with my 512 SSD and was happy with the results.

Good luck!

4. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

The way I have mine setup is only the os and caches are on the ssd(s). I have a separate 2tb drive for programs and games that I install. I also moved the Libraries (my documents/music/videos, etc) folders off of the ssd to a dedicated spinny drive.
    Ive found out over time that some apps will not let you install anywhere but the os drive. As well as filling up the appdata and common files folders on the os drive. I have a smaller ssd that I keep my working projects on and when Im finished I move them to a different spinny drive that I use for archives. Be warned though, if you move the programs folders off of the OS drive you cant do a windows upgrade in the future only a fresh install.
    I did a lot of googling, it takes a little windows hacking to move some of the folders, like some registry edits etc.
    But also note, If you feel that your ssd is big enough for all you programs, leave it be and let windows do what it wants.
    You know how adobe is too, works better rendering when your cache, projects assets, and render location are on 3 different drives.
    Im about to buy a 3rd small ssd just for caching. Aftereffects wants 100gigs:woot: So Im thinking a 128gig drive just for caches

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Now you get a pentium 4 and watch it fly, baby.
    [​IMG]

6. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

I somehow got away with using Paragon to clone everything on the drive since i'm no pc expert, I was worried i'd lose everything. I did however delete 200gb worth of stuff, this included Omnisphere sadly :(
    Indeed so, i'm so happy all my plugins still load up though without broken links etc.
    Why not a larger SSD for the sake of it? I got mine second hand for really cheap, i'm sure you could source something up.

Why not just try and daisy chain 4 Pentium 4's together for the love of it? :rofl:

Thanks for the input everyone