UPGRADE TO MACBOOK PRO....

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Sam Mathew, May 4, 2017.

?

What is your choice of application for backup?

1. Carbon Copy Cloner

2. Super Duper

3. Time Machine

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Sam Mathew

Sam Mathew Ultrasonic

So finally, the day has arrived and I have finally recieved my MBP (Mid-2015).... :phunk: Am never gonna regret switching to MacOS... less tinkering and more producing.... :drummer:

But now the thing is, since I'm coming from a "core-WINDOWS" background, this whole concept of Terminal and Applications (installation/uninstall process is so darn simple) and backup and stuff is very intimidating.!!

I also bought a 1 TB Thunderbolt ext HDD and a 4 TB USB3 ext HDD.... I was thinking of storing my current projects and Kontakt libs and Samples to my 1 TB one and everything else on my 4 TB one..! but the thing is i'm freaking out because I didn't know that when you reset MAC to reinstall everything it's gonna download the whole friggin' file (5 GB approx..!!!) and after installing it, the .dmg is nowhere to be seen and I'm in no mood to download the whole file again (was thinking of creating a BOOTABLE USB).

So i visited a lot of forums and people argue the CCC is the best choice for creating a clone, but last time I checked the whole backup size was around 12 GB and now since I've installed half the LPX additional stuff, it might've probably gone up too. So I'm stuck if I should let Time Machine do it's backup thingy and also install CCC along with it and download all of my LPX contents and then create a CLONE so I don't run into any stranded situation, or remove the whole TIME MACHINE backup and create a single CLONE on my 1 TB HDD..!!

any help regarding this will be greatly appreciated. And also, idk why but the battery seems to be lasting shorter than before even though it's been a short while..!!

Cheers

3. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

hi

there's a few things i don't understand in your "struggles", but i've updated my MBP two times in the last 3 years ( 1time to change the HDD to a SSD, and the second time to change the main SSd to a bigger capacity and i also removed the DVD drive to instal a SSD for my libraries instead)
    as far as i can remember, i've used CCC the first time, and maybe super dupper the 2nd time, i make regular backups with time machine on a external HD, and they all do a good job.

normaly, you can avoid LPX to download content in the LogicPro preferences, i think, or it also warns you that it must download missing content when it cannot find it, and you have the choice to stop it.

just a few warning, i've had to reset some permissions with super dupper that i didn't face with CCC or time machine (nothing critical, but it can be boring )

if i understand well, what you want is to move the LPX content that was previously on your main HD to your external (thunderbolt) HD ?
    you don't even need to use CCC, copy/paste is ok

your choice to do a backup / clone and then to move the LPX additional content to an external HD is ok too.

:)

4. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Time Machine backup work really fine. If you have a 500 GB or less ssd in your macbok pro just use Time Machine to backup to 1TB drive and call it a day. It's so rare you need to reinstall macOS, it not even worth mentioning.

Properly uninstall Apps with AppDelete [ http://www.reggieashworth.com/appdelete ] - this will delete the app and some of the related files.

Use a a proper cleaner monthly (beware, you may lose open tabs in Safari after this run, all you have to do is after reboot open safari, go to history and click "reopen all windows from last session" to recover) [ https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html ] and you're good to go.

One more thing: if you decide using Time Machine, after you set it up, open Terminal and run this command sudo tmutil disablelocal

This disables a quirk of Time Machine: when the backup drive is not accessible, Time Machine starts backing up to local SSD then when the backup drive is connected again (network or TB/USB) it moves the data. This thing can lead to Gigabytes of buildup and sometimes that space is very much needed. The above command disables this local backup.

And finally, Diswave [ https://diskwave.barthe.ph ] is a nice utility to show you what's on your drive.

5. Sam Mathew

Sam Mathew Ultrasonic

Well I was not thinking it like that, but your prescribed method is also very interesting. I will surely look into it as well.... :wink:

6. Sam Mathew

Sam Mathew Ultrasonic

thanx mate..... was also searching for some uninstaller application for MacOS (since on Windows, I used Revo) :bleh:.....
    Onyx also looks pretty interesting, will look into it when I reach home. :thumbsup:

7. stevejobs.haha

stevejobs.haha Member

I voted because I wanted to see the results. So ignore my vote.:yes: