Upgrade Ram

Discussion in 'PC' started by DJSabreblade, Jan 15, 2017.

1. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

@subGENRE i just threw it in this internet machine.

i have i7-4790k so its all good..so far lol

2. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I was only implying that on the long run the intel becomes cheaper because it consumes less power with better results. In real world figures, if you make music 5 days a week/8 hrs a day, the intel will equal its double price vs the half price amd in about 6-9 months time depending in which country you live, while maintaining better performance all this period, which means you get the same results faster, therefore you become more productive. And from there and onwards its only gain both in performance and electric bill. And as you said afterwards i don't care who makes the chips either, so i'm with you on this.
    Part of my job is custom systems for music and i have built from the cheapest ones up to a 12 core/3ghz xeon for video+audio.
    Joem's position on recommending previous gen Xeons for music production is quite correct if you are looking for performance vs price. Although i must say, i found no daw software taking full advantage of the 12 core/24 thread Xeon, while Premiere on the other hand was quite happy with it. I had it for a week and ran it through many DAWs and tests. Cubase, StudioOne, Sonar, AbletonLive, Reaper, Bitwig, FL Studio and Samplitude were tested with up to 90% cpu load. In 99% of the scenarios tested, we constantly found 4 of the 12 cores idling, sitting there just doing nothing. Conclusion ? Music software is still catching up imho. While most video soft will use all the cores you throw at it, music soft still lacks optimization for truly high end systems. The best performance you can get atm for music production, is a combination of up to 8 cores with the highest clock you can have, which is why i prefer the unlocked i7 over the xeon which cannot be overclocked. The one and only scenario to get more than 8 cores working was force another software to run in the background via rewire which for me seems like the only viable solution. Unfortunately one week spent with that comp wasn't enough to test rewire thoroughly, if i can get to build another system like this i will post results.
    Y'all be well
    Ps: Of course if you wanna be "Hans Zimmer" and money isn't a problem, server boards can easily be loaded with 512gb ram and then you can easily run a whole bloody virtual philharmonic orchestra with 128 Kontakt channels running the various high end orchestral libraries etc realtime. So for that rare occasion, server mobo/cpus is the only way to go, if you want all in one machine that is.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  3. Windows97

Windows97 Ultrasonic

The bad thing about Corsair Vengeance is that it uses the eLicenser key

4. G String

G String Rock Star

I recommend you upgrade to this ram.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's a beauty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. joem

joem Producer

@tasskforce your wrong about xeons they can be overclocked. Its just a bit different to overclock them, you dont use the multiplier.

6. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Well... dude... Let me say that just throwing one liners like Rambo doesn't do you much justice.
    Anyway, the whole gaming community knows everything about base clock (bclk) overclocking etc, and so do we. First of all to safely overclock a Xeon you need a mobo that was built for overclocking and can support xeon cpus like a Deluxe series Asus or likewise. I wouldn't advise anyone to try overclock on a Supermicro or a Tyan server mobo, but try and see for yourself, you 've been warned. Then the only thing you can use to overclock a Xeon is bclk as mentioned before. And what will you achieve man? If you are lucky with the chip you have at hand, oc'ers know that not all chips are made the same, you might get a 15% and very rarely 20% boost. But hold on a sec. What is the point of oc'ing a 12 core/3ghz E-5 2687 to 3.6 ghz when the chip itself turbo boosts to 3.5ghz by default? Absolutely none is my thought. Because dude this is not oc'ing, its more of a joke. This is why we declare xeons not overclockable. Sure you get your fancy Linus on youtube oc'ing an older 12core 2.7ghz xeon to 3.3ghz. The same paradigm i mentioned applies here as well. And btw, why don't you ask him what kind of oc he uses on his 2x22core xeon rendering/vm machine? You guessed it, none. My 6 core i7 is quite happy and stable with a 35% oc using a Noctua cooler. And it can be pushed up to 45% with water, only i 've no need for more. So, if you have evidence of a Xeon overclock that exceeds by far its turbo boost frequency, give us the link and i will be happy to stand corrected.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  7. joem

joem Producer

8. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Quite impressive boost, so i stand corrected alright, and thanks. What the guy doesn't show is how stable this is. I would be really interested to know if you have a machine like that running every day audio or video typical workloads, as the 4core E-3 1230 v5 xeon is quite cheaper than a 6700k.

9. joem

joem Producer

if you look hes useing a commercial liquid cooler from nzxt and he does say with video editing he wont be pushing it to the limits everyday so yea its all good.