Upgrade my studio gear

Discussion in 'Studio' started by ori09, Mar 3, 2015.

1. ori09

ori09 Newbie

Hi what's up?
    I worked very hard and save 20,000$
    My dream is to be Mix & mastering expert.
    I spend all my free time by practice, watch video tutorials and read a lot of articles about mix & mastering.
    I want to upgrade my studio gear...
    I worked with cubase 8.
    And have Universal Audio UAD-2 deo card.
    M-audio Axiom 49 midi controller.
    Dynaudio bm5a mk2 monitors.
    Tc electronic konnekt 6 audio interface.
    Nice studio hahah.. :)
    I don't know what to buy..
    Did you think that my monitors are well or I need to replace them to other monitors?
    I see that Ummat Ozcan work with Krk monitors so I don't know if my problem is the monitors..
    I hear about the QUESTED S7R monitors did you recommend this monitors? and how much they better then dynaudio?
    I don't see any edm producer that work with pmc expensive monitors.....
    My genre is edm (more bigroom, progressive house)
    My audio interface are so bad.. and old I thought to buy Rme audio interface, but I don't know which model to buy.
    The new Rme 802 or the Rme 800?
    I also thought to buy Genelec 8020c monitors I have a small room..
    What did you think it's good to work with 4 monitors? two monitors when you make the mix and two for reference to get other picture to your sound?
    Many time when I make mix I feel that my sound are very good and after some days when I hear it I notice that the sound are not so good like I thought it's happen me a lot.. did you know any tips,tricks how to solve it I thought that if I buy Genelec 8020 for reference it's will help..
    And last question what is the best and common condenser microphone for vocal today? money are not important!
    I prefer to buy the best condenser microphone for the five next years and have money to invest.
    Thank you!!

3. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Dynaudio BM5A mk2 are already good enough for a small room and the Genelec 8020c will not be justified as an upgrade. Make sure you have a subwoofer for them so you can have a complete monitoring system and have a better and accurate image of the lows, also simulating how the lows would sound in the club or other big subs as well. Buy a monitors control interface (such as Mackie Knob or the other one from Presonus, i don't remember exactly its name) so you can switch your monitors to mono or whatever (i know you can do this in your daw as well, but anyway..)/ Also make sure you have your room treated accordingly and that should be it, the complete "hearing" enviroment. Also the best studio monitors are the ones you know best. Dynaudio are more than enough. As you said, there's others pro DJs/producers who use even cheaper monitors such as Yamaha HS80m or KRKs.
    Your setup is pretty good btw, as long as you have enough processing power, a great monitoring enviroment (both monitors and room treatment), a keyboard and some creativity, you're pretty done. Is not the money that you have to spend, but actually the time, big mindset and creativity. That's the last "extra" that you need to spend in order to achieve your EDM-related goals. :wink: :mates:

4. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

Awesome me my self the first thing i would get is a New Mac Pro 6 core $ 5000 and then letter you can upgrade the processor to a 12 core later if you are going to be cheap and you don't buy good gear from the start you will regret it you get what you pay for i had to lren the Hard way i get a bunch of cheap gear that is worthless now because i went the cheap rout please don't let some one tell you that PC is better All Pro Studios Use Mac and is is not a thing about Mac Versus PC its just the truth

5. peghead

peghead Platinum Record

I mean no offense but..
    The simple fact that you're asking these questions means you're far far far away from being a Mix & Mastering expert.
    No gear at any price will make you a Pro Sound Enginner.

Spend those $ enrolling in some Sound Design/Engineering courses and, if you've got some $ left after that, use it to support yourself while you work as a cleaner/coffee maker in a Pro Studio for a few years.
    Or... buy a car instead, and be done with it.

"Best and common condenser microphone for vocal today?"
    Are you serious?

6. ori09

ori09 Newbie

Hahahahahhahaha :rofl: :rofl: :rofl::)
    I forget to say that I have a large knowledge about mix! and courses are shit!!!
    I read a lot of articles about mix and have a 4 years of practice I'm not a lazy man I spend all my free time by learn and try new things.
    I work know at new original track and I promise you that when you hear the sound you see that I'm not a spammer producer that thought that he can be Armin van buuren only because his gear hahahah...
    But thank's you for your comment I love the way that you right it hahahah :rofl: :rofl:

7. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Do not buy fireface 8xx, go for ufx or ucx because the have more processing power and is stable like no other.
    Personaly I love hackintoshig, more options and cheaper.
    A good headphone is a must and some hardware synths too :wink:

8. ori09

ori09 Newbie

Thank you did you know a good headphones for mix?
    I haven't luck with headphones I have Sennheiser HD 215 but I don't like them....
    For hardware synth I don't really know how much "virus ti" is required at 2015...
    (10 years was pass and the edm genre is grow up!)
    I believe that until 2017 will be out a better synth hardware..
    I found xfer serum very good for synthesis.

9. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

I am big fan of Audiotechnica, new models ath150x are really gret for the price.
    About the courses mainly are really a shit só I se them in fastfoward, the real experice is all about the ear and learn what the Músic wants.
    For me great musicists make the bridge betweeen the pop and erudit. A rich ear could and must hear every style of music and understand whats good and bad. i have 2 diplomas in music, piano and composition and it never make worst musician :mates:

10. ori09

ori09 Newbie

Did you mean M50X?
    And what did you think about the
    Akg K712 PRO?
    It's seems very impressive!

11. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Good quality room treatment.

12. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

Well shit since money is no object...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Bottle

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BottleCapKit

Or why not?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C800G

13. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Feel free to send those Dynaudio's my way. :wink:

14. Infidel

Infidel Producer

$20k is nothing in the mastering world. Might buy a single speaker or EQ or Masterbus Compressor. So all your bragging just proves you really don't know much about what you say you do. It seams your just bragging and dreaming. Buy the best amp and speakers you can afford. Train your ears on mellower music with real instruments not digital BS copies. Skills and equipment will get you not very far it's your ears and ability to correct problems within a mix that will. EDM will ruin your ears with all the overcompression and amplitude.

Not trollin' just sayin.

15. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

If you thinking of a computer whatever you do DONT buy a Mac as in 5 years maybe even less (who knows what those morons are thinking of when they will steal our money?) you want be able to upgrade the OS anymore and that goes for many plugins and software aswell and defenetely Logic if you wanna use that DAW.
    So if you want all new goodies you simply have to buy a newer expensive machine and like a Car you want get anything when you sell it second hand..

I save yourself some money and trouble and build a computer yourself with hardware that is easy to make a "hackintosh" from if you want to have Mac OS and Logic

16. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

What he needs to do is use Pro Tools if he want to be able to move your project to any Pro studio the computer has NOTHING to do with it..
    The ONLY reason why many Pro studios still use Mac is because they can afford it they are familiar with the OS and it intigrate nice with Pro Tools
    But that doesnt mean they are BETTER in fact i think they are worst then a good homemade PC and he will NOT be a better musician or producer if he switch to a Mac or do you think it is the computer that make you creative?
    Wake up god damn it its not the computer that makes the music it is the human and Mac is NOT as stable as everyone say i know i write on a Mac Pro right now.
    Worst buy i ever made..
    I am so sick of those who cant admit that fact.

17. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

That's YOUR truth, not an objective truth. So... it's not the computer which defines you as a pro. I can name tons of pros who uses PCs instead and the other Pros who use Macs never avoid these "pc" guys just because they don't own the same f'in computer. Is like "oh boy, the pro music industry is not going to open me the door just because of my f'in computer, not because my music sucks. :rofl: " There's more stuff to worry about when you wanna make it in the industry, rather than the type of computer...
    P.S. with 5000$ you can make a top notch custom build PC which can bring you more processing power than the ready-made 5000$ mac. We all know that.

First of all, if you would've take the time and read his topic properly and also have some good morals, you could've respect him and his dreams, instead of trying to tell him what's wrong and what's right in a fashion that would totally change his vision and his plans. That's some subjective b.s. right there. :sad: Doesn't he deserve to chase his dreams just because they doesn't correlates with yours? Also the "Sound Design/Engineering" courses are a pocket parasite. Are you envy enough to suggest him to waste his money like that? It doesn't matter how far or how close he is to his goals, the most important aspect is to keep going, regardless if he have 5 days or 15 years ahead to go there. "Buy a car instead", that clearly defined the whole passion you have for music and all businesses related to it. That's another "waste your money bro" suggestion.

@Orinir
    Make sure you keep your money man and spend it wisely along the road you will go through. Regarding Microphone and Headphones upgrade, Neumann U87AI (3200$) which a lot of pro studio uses to record a lot of big artists these days, is a more than great starting point. Hooked to a Presonus ADL600 (1600$) passing through an UCX RME interface (due to its high quality converters) and also you'll have to build your custom vocal booth with a diamond shape designed enclosure, separated to the mixing room, not the same enclosure, also invest in the best cables money can buy because they're important as well, in order to get the best out of your recording chain. Once you get some even more money, you can add some more microphones to your collection, because there's no "one mic fits all" microphone. Also the same thing applies with the preamps as well, but it's too soon to dive into this. Make sure you get the best out of just the chain i mentioned above and over time, after you keep evolving and you'll be able to afford more, you can add more microphones and preamps to your collection and start experimenting with all of them and see which ones fits your customers's needs. :mates:

Regarding headphones, if you really can afford it, The Senheiser HD700 "Audiophile & Mastering Headphones" (750$) are some of the best money can buy for the tasks you need them for, IMO. There's also HD800 which are double the price, but they are presented as "Audiophile & Reference" headphones, so... it think your best bet is still the HD700.
    About studio monitors, Genelecs are not going to improve your mixes translation, but the room treatment and actually mixing and mastering with the ears properly rested, your mixes are not going to sound "uglier" later. Make sure you never make the critical decision in your mixing/mastering session while you're very tired, because it will always sound different when you'll wake up the next day.

Make sure you take care of yourself and your health as well. You'll never be able to work on your full potential if your body is not strong and healthy enough. Usually, the way you feel in your body reflects and clogs your mind as well. Get yourself a long time subscription to the gym so you can get yourself into a better shape and have the blood flowing easier through your veins, also buy plenty of green tea/black tea(to replace coffee with it, contains more caffeine than green tea)/Ginger/Mate/Ginseng pills(good for both physical and psychological stress resistance). Add lots of fruits and vegetables next to your meat meals and drink minimum 3L of raw water everyday, until you pi*s colorless at the end of each day. If you want to be able and prepared to achieve your goals, make sure you prepare youself inside out, right from the core!

Take care man and spend your money wisely! Don't listen to the bad mouths around here, you know best what makes you happy and never stop following your dreams. I use the term "goals" for the "dreams" word, because i always look at them as at something that i'm chasing to achieve, not something that i'm waiting for to happen by itself. :wink:

Evo

18. ori09

ori09 Newbie

Thank you for your comment you are welcome!!
    The Neumann U87AI is my first opinion I will buy it. I saw him at many big studios and like you say for home studio is more then good.
    For headphones I bought today the AKG 712 PRO from ebay.
    I check him at my friend studio and love their sound...
    As the sound card I will buy the RME ufx I don't think that I need something better for now...
    Thank you for the professional recommends!!!

19. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

orinir0:
    Asking for headphones to mix on and stating you know so much about mixing is proving yourself wrong in one go.
    Evorax first statement is spot on, and peghead has a point, too.

With the equiment you already have the bottleneck limiting the quality of your results sits in front of the desk.
    That is where time and money would be wisely invested.

And guys seriously? Advising to buy an u87 to someone with an acoustically untreated studio probably without recording booth? You're kidding, right?! And then again, an u87? There is only one reason why almost all big studios have it: artists who have no clue about sound whatsoever demand it because it's the only expensive mic they know by name and therefore their egos need an u87 to be recorded. I've seen it numerous times that the engineers put in fact two mics in front of the artist, one u87 and the real one, and simply used the other one. You don't want to sound like everybody else and in fact the u87 is very delicate and not suited for most voices. There's a reason why it has got the nickname "Uzi".
    So if you spend so much $$ on a mic the reasonable advice would be to go to a shop, test the mics, make a selection, take it to your studio, test it again, and then decide. You can't make a decision this big without knowing how the mic will sound in your studio. It's just like it is with monitors.

20. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Actually, i had the chance to work with one in the past when i was part of a recording/production studio. U87 is not expensive AT ALL, if you compare it with Telefunken C12, Sony C-800G, Telefunken ELA251E,Neumann M150, even the Brauner VM1. So taking all these in the consideration, Neumann u87 is a workhorse if you really got your hands on one of these and already know what's capable of (you can find a used one as well, just as good as a new one if was properly and carefully maintained.) There's also national pro artists here in my country whom studios i visited and the u87 was the most often found microphone in their recording booth, aside from the other mics in their collection, the u87 was the one hooked up on the mic-stand all the time. I know you're sick to hear u87 everywhere, but if you search even for "shoot-out" sound tests between microphones, you'll hear for yourself how nice the u87 stands against the other models in its price range. Anyway, it's not something which you can throw in your track expecting it to cut through your mix instantly. Regardless the mic, the mixing stage is still important, but that's irrelevant in this topic. But i think you overlooked the microphone, because it's really not that expensive compared to the other "bigboy" models. Also, if you may read my previous post better, you'll notice that when i mentioned the microphone, i suggested him to invest in a *quote = "also you'll have to build your custom vocal booth with a diamond shape designed enclosure separated to the mixing room, not the same enclosure," *. So i pretty much summed up what he needs overall, i mentioned even the cables/chords investment. :mates:

21. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

Care to post one mix of yours...? Surely, it's not bad to have good/expensive gear but it seems like overkill in this case, dunno... From what I understood it's for a home studio, right? It doesn't look like it's for a studio with a mixing room/recording room/amp room/vocal booth/drum room/whatever (which also implies sound/room treatment).

It seems to me you're under the impression that the gear will make you a better producer. But that's a bit different than making you a better musician or critical listener. Yes, the increase in quality and clarity of what you hear is important to aid your choices but it's not definitive.

Also, are you producing other people's stuff? Mixing other people's stuff? Or you just want to hear your own stuff better?

I mean, a 3k microphone is nice (but, for the next 5 years, really...?) but it kind of defeats the purpose if it's also capturing car noises, your neighbour shouting or hiss from your PC fan/environmental noise.

Same goes for "Virus TI". Why that specific one? Because it's considered "typical" of the genre? And what if a "Virus TI 2" or 20 was available in 2 years? Would you feel the need to upgrade just for the sake of it? Would the Virus TI become magically worthless then because there's the next best thing? And the same for the monitors. You're not wondering if it's the size of your monitors/your room/your mixing decisions (which do partially depend on the monitors) but the brand? You should go to the shop and listen to the monitors with stuff you like/your stuff and make your decision. For example, would you really want a monitor with hyped bass for dance music? I mean, for anything, but especially for bass-heavy music. Or a 4" monitor. Or a woofer. Or an 8". What about the room? Or the wall behind the monitor? Or the desk? Or the stand? Or the 10dB gain at 100 Hz? Or the limiter that clips my slow moving bass? Why is the kick dead? Because I didn't have a hardware compressor or because I used a 10:1 ratio with a 1ms attack and -40 dB threshold? Was it even the right kick to begin with? There are a lot of factors to account for. Think about it. Plus, studio monitors are supposed to reveal detail; not flatter or please. No offense, but that's the feeling I get. And adapting to what you have is also important. Nothing will be "perfect".

As Evorax said, investing in yourself (health/knowledge) is equally as important.

As for the dual/triple/quad/whatever monitor reference setup, I'd say it's more important to compare with professionally produced, commercial tracks than listen to 5 different pairs of monitors.

That said, if you feel you absolutely need these and that you'll grow with them, then go for it and be happy.