Updating Logic 7 files

Discussion in 'Logic' started by Frubbs, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Frubbs

Frubbs Ultrasonic

I have been a Logic user since Emagic ran the show, and happy for the most part, though I've had to buy it three times now (long story). Between v7 and v9 I got quite busy with other things and didn't manage updates, assuming among other things forward file compatibility. Wrongly assuming, as it turns out. When I got back to composing and upgraded to v9 I was shocked to discover that none of my (many many) old files would open in v9 - they have to be saved under v 7.2 or later. I had 7.1, and Apple no longer had a 7.2 upgrade file on their website. they didn't even respond to my inquiries about the matter. I have an old G4 mac doing print duty, and I was able to install 7.1 on that, but no amount of manipulation rendered my old Logic files compatible with v9, other than the rather crude standard MIDI file export.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, and if so have you found a way to update your files? I have a LOT of them and don't relish the prospect of converting them all to SMF and then editing them endlessly in v9 to recover the info lost in translation. Thanks for any help you can provide.