Update from Yosemite to High Sierra

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by AMERICUH, Dec 19, 2017.

1. AMERICUH

AMERICUH Kapellmeister

Hi folks,

any suggestions if I should update my OS in the near future?

I know many of our members here predict not to update OS because of Plugins stability.

Especially with Live I experienced some problems, always when I've updated my System.

I'm still with 10.10.5 but like to install Live 10 in the near future.

Would you recommend updating to High Sierra therefore?

3. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

does Live 10 runs under high sierra only, or is it open to older versions ?

I'm still on mavericks, and so far, so good

I can't recall if issues there is or not with 32 bits plugins & 32 lives ( I still use some of them ) & high sierra.

mine is getting old, but if your system is quite recent and working well, there's no reason to hurry I guess.

4. kike1

kike1 Member

Ableton 10 cant run on yosemite. If you want ableton 10 when it comes out you will have to update.

5. lemjello

lemjello Ultrasonic

I did the exact upgrade on my machine. Everything works just as before. Performance is increased. All plug-ins worked, including Openssh if you use those. I did the upgrade from Yosemite to Sierra first. I was skeptical about HS.
    Then, just recently, I upgraded to High Sierra. Very happy with it. Snappy, and it opened up drive space somehow. I'm thinking it has something to do with the new APFS file system, but, so far, I am extremely happy with that as well. Also, all plug-ins and programs work as expected.
    Make sure, if you are mackintosh, you get the latest apfs.efi file, as they seem to change per point (10.13.1 is different than 10.13.2}

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  6. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

I noticed that if you use Logic on High Sierra you have to reboot your Mac EVERY TIME you install new plugins so Logic can register them. Otherwise they don't appear in the menu. ANNOYING like Windows XP. So I'd stay away from High Sierra if I'd use Logic!

7. Rockdaset

Rockdaset Newbie

thank you for the insight. I am going to post a new thread to discuss High Sierra and Music Production. I want to get a thread going to make the upgrade less scary. Sierra hid all the plugin preset folders and I drove my self nuts and reverted back to El Cap.