Unsound Teaser Documentary

Discussion in 'Education' started by Audio4ALL, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Audio4ALL

Audio4ALL Guest

3. Frubbs

Frubbs Kapellmeister

As usual, they've misquoted Thompson here, or repurposed his words for their own ends. The original quote was:

"The TV business is uglier than most things. It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs, for no good reason. Which is more or less true. For the most part, they are dirty little animals with huge brains and no pulse."

From op ed in the San Francisco Examiner, November 4, 1985, also published in
    Generation of Swine: Tales of Shame and Degradation in the '80s (New York: Summit Books, 1988)

A misquote? A misappropriation? A mistake? Perhaps, by that doesn't mean it ain't true. You can't be around the music business without developing similar notions.

4. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Seems like an interesting documentary. Thanks for the info and the link!

I don't want to comment any further until I see it, though. Just that music business is about making money that 90% or more of finishes up in the wrong hands, that is not in the hands of the creator/artist, and I find that completely wrong. From the trailer I cannot be sure if this doco is about those bloody leeches or the creators, but probably both. We'll see...

In the meantime, there is another, probably better doco on Vimeo that you can watch. It's called "Press Pause Play". Here: http://vimeo.com/34608191

Cheers!

5. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Thanks for sharing Audio4ALL, now I'd like to make some commentary. I haven't even seen the full production but I can already tell you that most of this video is a bunch of nonsense. It's really a shame that we can't have balanced opinions not from those looking to demonize or justify file-sharing but those that have a level of wisdom concerning both sides...people like me for example since I work as a developer and can understand wanting to make some money on my efforts. Also too bad we didn't have a video like this for all the consumers that spent insane sums of money they didn't have to purchase a new shitty album for a ridiculously overpriced amount...for decades...all so some douchebag fatcats could buy their new mansion while artists got pennies on the dollar. The industry had gotten used to their ill-gotten gains and now that they are dwindling they've come to pull at our heartstrings. Then the idea that independent artists really need someone to help them has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. If anything the proliferation of illegal downloading has greatly enhanced their ability to be recognized and achieve success more than anything else. This has been proven time and time again with the countless studies, articles, etc that I have read on the subject. They're not worried about independent artists, they're worried about paychecks for all the people that no longer serve a prupose and are trying to justify that concern with statements that allude to our crushing of the poor little guy. And if you think there are problems now wait until the 3D printing revolution develops then you'll see a show. That technology stands at the forefront of either transforming the world or destroying it, which one will depend on the balance of the worldwide community and our ability to come to a consensus on realistic solutions to the problems we will be facing. However industries are not concerned with realistic solutions to piracy just like governments are not concerned with realistic solutions to the war on drugs so they keep repeating the same bullshit and each time expect different results...the definition of insanity.

6. Audio4ALL

Audio4ALL Guest