Unprocessed sample based drum software

Discussion in 'PC' started by audiosex.pro, Jun 7, 2011.

1. audiosex.pro

audiosex.pro Newbie

As pointed in the title, I'm looking for software in the likes of superior drummer 2.0 or Addictive drums. The problem I have with those two is that their samples are already processed and while they are both good sounding tools, I would preffer to have more freedom while mixing therefore my need for unprocessed samples.

Is there anything in the market that contains unprocessed samples?

3. audiosex.pro

audiosex.pro Newbie

(Can't edit)

I completly forgot. It's ment to be used for a rock project

4. felino

felino Newbie

Years ago, my friend worked with Addictive drums. As far as remember the samples weren't "produced". Lots of mic positions to choose from for each sample etc. If they applied a slight compression and EQ you could find a combination where it was only a touch of it so you could say it is not produced.

5. swing

swing Newbie

Hi. I think BFD Drums is great. Try it.
    When I found it, I was looking for a powerfull soft with big libraries of unprocessed samples.
    It allows too to choose mic positions and add some good sounding fxs.
    Sorry if my english is bad.
    Greetings.

6. felino

felino Newbie

Yes, it might be a BFD, not Addiction. Well, try both if you can.

7. audiosex.pro

audiosex.pro Newbie

Carl & felino

I researched a bit about BFD2, seems it will suit my needs better than the ones I mentioned, thank you!

Any other products you can think of?

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Newbie

audiosex.pro, why do you think addictive drums' samples are processed? You can easily turn off all the effects and get the original dry samples. BTW, presets in the "clean" section can do that.

9. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

i would at least try Addictive Drums.
    it's small, clean, high quality and powerful.
    when i need truly unprocessed drums, XNL is my choice.

10. ionutz

ionutz Newbie

I can vouch for Addictive Drums! It's a great tool, although I never worked on it a lot it was always fun to mess with, I'll stick to my sample libraries when it comes to that although Addictive sounds very real

11. Caithleanne

Caithleanne Newbie

I had to "Google" it since I never used Addictive Drums before. XNL is XLN Audio.
    Thanks for mentioning it :) I was looking for some good sounds.

12. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

Yes, you can turn off all the processing in "Addictive Drums" and in "Superior Drummer" as well.

I think that SD sounds more natural, whereas AD is very easy to use, and requires less space on your hard drive.

Not to forget the NI "Abbey Road Drums"-Series, they contain great, unprocessed drum samples, for use in Kontakt.

13. Upsagain

Upsagain Newbie

From weary beginning I did not like superior drummer they did not find a way to deal with high sampling rates. If you are in rock business try ezdrummer from same company. They have excellent collections of Kits. “Pop/Rock” “Vintage” and “Classics” are most used from my side in rock. If you have complete set of kit’s (something less than 20 Gb) there is no way that you can’t find right one for your song and in most cases you have “dry” kit option. Also you can turn off atmosphere microphone and to use separate channel for kick (in/out), snare (top/bottom), toms, HiHat, Overheads. What else possibly you can need? :wink:

14. Duu

Duu Noisemaker

i think a lot of it boils down to how long you want to be spending on your drum track/tracks....I use Battery 3...but getting to know the library and what's what takes time...also try not to get into thinking that the sounds and hits must come from 'Rock kits' as you'll be seriously limiting the range of sounds you could choose from. Many of the hits are not 'too processed' within the various kits anyway but i've only ever used Battery for dnb and dance based projects..

15. audiosex.pro

audiosex.pro Newbie

Hi! As far as I know all drum libraries are processed, some more than others. What I ment with "unprocessed" was that I was looking for a short signal chain and no dynamics/any other kind of post-processing.

16. Mikey

Mikey Newbie

Id have a look at NI Battery 3 if i were you. You can very simply use your own samples in if thats what you want. LinPlug also have a couple of good offerings ie RM4 and RM5. All of these allow you to start with minimal or no processing depending of course on what or which samples you wish to begin with, and you can then tweak them to hearts content.I hope this gives you a bit of a guide. Trial and error is where i started tho.

17. hardwire666

hardwire666 Newbie

Superior Drummer 2.0 and above are compleately unprocessed. EZdrummer is the one that has the pre processed samples. Superior Drummer 2 is meant to give you FULL control over your drum sound.

18. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

I would stick with Addictive drums for the following:

1. Excellent sounds that are flexible by means of internal or external processing.
    2. Low overhead on memory, cpu, and hard drive.
    3. Fast loading of kits or individual sounds.
    4. Easily navigated and powerful user interface.

I like Superior Drummer and BFD2. They just have a high learning curve that requires you to constantly use them
    in order to retain the knowledge of how they function.

It's about being creative, not frustrated.... *yes*

19. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

If you really want to march to your own drummer, read this!

I downloaded the Yellowtools Independence Engine again and decided to really give it a good look see.
    If you want something that allows you to use your samples the way you want as a sample based drummer,
    this is probably it. Does not require the hard drive space that Superior, BFD, and Stylus require,
    just to name a few. Also does not eat up memory like Kontakt and others. Can be used as stand-alone or VSTi.

There is a free version 2.5 with a 2 gig library which can be downloaded once you register at no charge.

Retail-wise, they offer a 25gig and growing library.
    www.yellowtools.com

20. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Interesting that no-one mentioned "Ocean Way Drums". It's very large (40GB, so size-wise the other extreme compared to XLN AD), but you have many (completely unprocessed?? dunno) sounds recorded with many different microphones AND different mic positions. As far as I remember the library contains both unprocessed sounds (most) and processed ones (for adding character and color).