Unofficial Windows 10 DAW build and tweak guide

Discussion in 'PC' started by webhead, Feb 19, 2021.

Tags:
  1. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

Is there any LTSC version with the FLS update?

2. Pete Brown

Pete Brown Ultrasonic

Hi All

I've never quite understood the fascination with the LTSC version of Windows. No, there is not currently a version with the FLS update.

LTSC is the Enterprise version of Windows 10, which has some additions to it not needed on a DAW. It's actually larger than Pro. Cost-wise, when you want to upgrade to a new release later, you have to pay full price again.

It's not really any leaner than Pro. You don't have more control over anything than Pro, with the exception of telemetry*.

If you don't want updates/upgrades, I show the supported way to do that in part 2 of the series.

* I know many folks here don't like telemetry (I've read this thread). I'm not going to argue that. But when it comes time to debug an issue and we ask for a glitch trace or similar, and folks can't provide it because they've worked around and disabled telemetry, that's sad. When I can't prove that a pro audio feature is used because we get little to no signal about it, that's also sad. The musician community is small compared to gaming or general use as it is.

Pete

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  3. Pete Brown

Pete Brown Ultrasonic

Hi Dan

Cool. Off to a good start!

Can you prove that disabling those services results in better performance or more stability in Windows? Measure. I have done almost nothing to my PC here and I get excellent low-latency DAW performance.

Do you have any examples of GP not being enforced?

No idea what this is about, TBH.

Why do you need ownership of that folder? If you need to look at it, open a command prompt as admin and CD into it. That's where Store apps are installed by default, and they should be managed using the store tools. If, for example, you use my SysEx Transfer Utility, that's where it gets installed. FWIW, that folder goes back to Windows 8, as I recall.

If you are trying to get rid of some store apps, there are other ways to do that that don't require taking ownership of that folder.

The rest of this is a bit over the top, IMO. It's your workstation to do with as you want, but most users won't have to do any of this to have a working high-performance DAW PC.

Pete

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Just a quick thing I remembered. If you have diagnostic services enabled, there's a "sru" folder inside the Windows one that can grow very big. You can delete it.
    Of course keep in mind diagnostics can be very important when in trouble.

I used that method to rename the Cortana_cjshgdjh_whatever folder and get rid of the last remains of processes loaded. Only applied to the Cortana folder.
    Probably now there're better methods but makes sense. I probably read it on some blog 5 years ago and it worked.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Yes. The Windows 10 IoT Edition is equivalent in less bloat/spyware to an LTS(C) and it launches for every update.
    Credits to the fellow who told me. And credits to me too while we are at it :rofl:

6. VroundS

VroundS Kapellmeister

From my 20+ yr. windows audio tweaking perspective I see the same package copying and pasting forever.
    Basically, it is a bunch of stuff, good or bad, doing something or nothing under the "optimization guide".
    I've never seen anybody examining tweak per tweak and showing before/after benchmarks.
    They just come in the package.
    Only few are moderately reasonable like having fewer devices attached to PCIx or maybe connecting USB audio interface to particular ports.
    But there is also huge waste of time with windows services and switching off features that are mostly dead unless it's needed.
    It's like shooting with maschine gun blindfolded Eventualy you're going to hit the target but the price is a joke considering the effort.
    They always pretend to be professional but they don't seem to know anything more than basics.
    Ask them what makes one CPU more efficient in audio processing than other and watch the reaction.
    They are copy paste of the blind shooter package.

7. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

So that make you do better music?
    I just install windows do all necessary tweaks needed for AUDIO use that takes 5 min max
    then i only plug in the lan cable when i must do an update (acoustica and other plugins that require online updates windows updates is of course turned off)
    I dl updates on all other plugins and programs on another computers and import them to my studio pc.
    And it work so nice and i never interrupted with any internet crap like oh i must visit this and that site to see whats happend.