Universal Audio has bricked UA Spark on Windows

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gyorgy Ligeti, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Ariel Gonzalez

Ariel Gonzalez Platinum Record

tbh, knowing how the problem is now affecting mac users, i'm starting to get some hope to see this happening not far away

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. playtime

playtime Rock Star

You're right LOL :yes:

As the matter of fact I got an email from UA support few hours ago hinting we can expect the fix early next week. Let's see how it goes...

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Gyorgy Ligeti

Gyorgy Ligeti Platinum Record

Universal Audio stated the fix will be released tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Jeff*

Jeff* Kapellmeister

Apparently there is already an update (on my mac now, will check in Windows)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. playtime

playtime Rock Star

Update on Windows too, just checked it. I can't install and try if they fixed it right now but will do tonight.

If someone does test it before that please reply here - thanks!

6. Gyorgy Ligeti

First big news: all plugins that have gone native, and presumably future ones, can be purchased perpetually. From now on, to use UA full native, neither the hardware nor the subscription will be needed anymore.

• Like Like x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Gyorgy Ligeti

Tomorrow I'll download everything when it's official, and I'll do large deep tests. Hoping for the best.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. playtime

playtime Rock Star

Just connected the dots by seeing IG posts from UA and PluginBoutique:
    Screenshot 2023-02-13 234420.png
    Now if that's the case, it could be very interesting!
    I just saw the posts from several users who updated on Windows and accoring to them the issue is fixed.
    Let's see... :unsure:

Attached Files:

9. Chaindog

Chaindog Producer

Yes, they rolled out the update for Windows already, just did the update.
    Issues seem to be fixed.
    :wink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. marshall stack 666

marshall stack 666 Member

I am one of the curious audio plugin fiends who jumped on the $1- 3 month free trial.
    At the moment I have a decent modest music Windows 10 PC build with a 5600x and 16gigs of 3200 ram.
    I should note I can run huge sessions with this rig and over 150 plugins from PA ,Fuse, Black rooster, Toontrack, Arturia, Noiseash etc and it all runs smooth at 35-45%cpu.

Here are my personal observations of the UA system...

From the first load I noticed the connect app loading a webviewer multiple times for it's Gui to work. It showed upto 8 webviews for 1 instance of a plugin and those webviewers were consuming 200mb + of ram and just wasting ram and those numbers just go up the more UA plugins you load and do not seem to be graphics card dependent and granted ram is faster so maybe someone with knowledge can explain the logic behind it for all who are interested...

So besides those memory quirks, the connect app is a ballache and is required to be running all the time and for the user to be logged in, and obviously you cant delete the connect app or the plugins will not work. It also searches for updates and you cannot stop the process either.
    So I opened a ticket as you do and it took 2 weeks of back and forth to get support to tell me thats the apps design to check the licenses tied to iLok and to basically take it or leave it. :rofl:
    Fast Track to present day...
    I just updated connect to 1.4.0 and now the connect app still forces the user to be logged in and online or the plugins blurr out and a nag screen pops up.
    So ok because my trial ends in 2 weeks and I'm dumping the lot anyway, and seeing were crunching numbers on this thread, I performed a fun test after this 1.4.0 update and plugin update.
    I chose a random number and just created 15 track session in Studio one 6.0.2 and loaded 15 VST3 LA grey comps and 15 API buss comps.
    The CPU hit 28 -30%. Task manager is also still a little too high for my liking across 12 threads.
    Then I did the same test with 15 Lindell SBC comps and 15 Lindell 50 series channel strips and the CPU hit 11%.
    I have no idea what is going on technically in Windows 10/11 but my gut feeling is this was a cash grab from the start as the app is still poorly optimised IMO so it's a hard no from me and a drop kick to the plugin bin !

From a computing standpoint, I mean if you have a I7 12700k / I9 12900k or AMD Ryzen 5800x-5900X and 32 gigs of ram then you wont feel the hit but for more mid-end set ups it's not worth the cost to performance ratio.

Happy music making and mixing ! :winker:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. VSKZ

VSKZ Producer

Omg this pic is actually a real post. I thought you made it up

12. playtime

playtime Rock Star

Right. One of the comments on that pic on IG post sums it up:

"Ask for refund from whoever made this for an ad" :rofl: