Universal Audio has bricked UA Spark on Windows

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gyorgy Ligeti, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I was sure this year's Christmas/New Year special drop from R2R was going to be UAD Spark, more out of hope than anything.

It is frustrating though that such a big company that brands itself as 'professional' studio gear (albeit in software form), then they need to recognise that professional studios will use their software and rely on them to generate income. Such lacklustre support and urgency in fixing the issue is inexcusable, if only on where they try to portray themselves in the market.

However, to counter that, Spark for Windows is still only some 3/4 months old and whilst bricking a system is an extreme bug to have, it is still a bug and I'm sure they will fix it as soon as they can. They just have to recognise that the longer they take, the more damage to their own reputation they are doing.

It would be at least a little bit funny if R2R or similar group would release the previous working versions now during this shitstorm though :rofl:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

As sure as you have been with R2R releasing UAD Spark? :bleh:

This answer was a MUST, sorry, no offense :mates:

3. potatobread1

potatobread1 Noisemaker

I'm not a business man, but it seems strange to say the least that a company refuses to support an OS that is used by roughly 75% of the whole world.

4. Ariel Gonzalez

Ariel Gonzalez Platinum Record

hope little high my guy ahahahahah

it would be funny if they manage to strip away the issue from the newest drivers and make it work... or fool the previous one to work offline and off-ilok

5. DiRG3

DiRG3 Kapellmeister

Frankly i've always found these audio companies exclusively supporting Apple as a very strange business decision. Sure, Apple users are frequently musicians and engineers and are largely overrepresented in that field, but as a whole they only account for 20% of total computer users. Talk about marginalizing an absolutely titanic number of people. lol. Those Apple paychecks hit different though, and thats something Microsoft has never really done: Actively finance audio companies bringing their software to their platform. In that lens, the preferential treatment makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Platinum Record

I wonder how much extra they spend fixing updates for this year's software update to Mac OSX.1.2.3.4.5.6 with update for the Silicone Diamond Processor that renders January's processor obsolete?

7. DiRG3

DiRG3 Kapellmeister

A metric shitload and half of a metric assball of dev hours probably. Then the m series users wanna complain that companies are (completely reasonably) slow to adopt their software to an ISA platform that, until now, has been exclusively for phones and tablets. lol. There's a very real cost to that shit.

8. Ariel Gonzalez

Ariel Gonzalez Platinum Record

i agree, but i think it has a lot to do with the fact that apple has to do this in order to have a natural user base (more or less), otherwise they would end up with their system being basically another linux distro (i know its not the same, but you get the idea) giving the fact that some of the most important software for most of the crucial things in this world run on windows or any form of it

9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

you forgot that ilok is undefeated on the mac side for a very long time and i guess it is more likely that mac users pay for their software?

I dont know if UA Spark simply uses JUCE or if they are just build their framework on top of the VST3 SDK (i guess the last is the case), then it was maybe easier to build AU3 and VST3 on the mac side? But own framework could mean that you could screw things up, since there is no bigger beta testing going on?! (JUCE has massive community, which tests new builds, in fact you can simply get a beta build of JUCe from github and get cracking with the new features, sure a long shot, but still faster than write the GUI framework from scratch on top of the VST3 SDK.)

UA seems to have Algos, GUI separate and the VST3 just launches them after greeting the ilok layer successful. Well maybe own framework on top of VST3 SDK is more flexible?

Other idea: they wanted to have a try on macOS, if this goes well they added windows support? as this accounts for 80% more userbase?
    Thats i guess is more accurate. Also macOS is kinda mainstream for audio software compared to Linux and a lot of bigger studios run simply macs.

10. KIKI

KIKI Newbie

And one more surprise!
    Since yesterday, all UA plugins have gone up in price by 10-20% (at least in Europe).
    Does anyone know if the prices have been raised for the USA?

11. Bandit

Bandit Producer

I just loaded these plugins. I do not see this. Extremely low CPU usage still.

12. DiRG3

DiRG3 Kapellmeister

Consider yourself one of the lucky ones, the UAD forums are on *fire* right now. lol

13. DiRG3

DiRG3 Kapellmeister

Very well said, I think your bottom idea though is the real truth. They've always been a Mac only company so they half-assed tried to stretch out to explore the rest of the market and borked it. lol. I think it has much less to do with iLok and much more to do with force of habit, thats the OS ecosystem they know and serve so that gets first treatment. Im really interested to see how this plays out, i gotta say i'm quite happy i didn't pull the trigger and start buying UAD stuff now as a lifelong Windows user. I can only imagine how wildly irritated these paying customers must be after hearing the helpdesk essentially tell them: "lol, get a mac" lmfao

14. Bandit

Bandit Producer

I reproduced his plugins, but I do not see it? I do have plugin licenses on a usb key.

15. Bandit

Bandit Producer

haha gonna look into it now :)

16. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

the initial releases from November worked well on windows. i dont know what could have went wrong in the last update.

It is important if ilok is undefeated on macos as this means nobody is even close to "cracking" in the next months, while windows could be out sooner or later ...

17. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I wouldn't be surprised if R2R doesn't crack/fix (or already has) Spark, metric shit-ton of hours not withstanding, simply for the intellectual fun of it. And, of course, glory. Would we the Plebs see it though, that's the question. UAD may be to large and litigious to mess with.

18. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I feel for ya, but this why I never rush into updating anything.

19. Gyorgy Ligeti

Gyorgy Ligeti Platinum Record

They are truly on fire. And also the same is happening on the UA Facebook groups which lots of users are on a war footing. Even UA Support itself has admitted me to having received an extremely massive number of support tickets, and in fact they are in great trouble atm. Some users are also talking about issues on Mac Monterey regarding the CPU usage, and about the fact that when plugins are removed the CPU is not released but remains the same even though the plugin is gone. I'm really curious to see how this story ends.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  20. HammerTiMe

HammerTiMe Producer

I believe that if UAD fails to fix the problem, or worse still pretends to have fixed it, but without actually doing it, then we maybe could see R2R in action, with a legendary NFO slamming UAD

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List