Understanding a very simple synth

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Backtired, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Hello. I'm trying to get better at making my own sounds.
    The following synth sounds very basic for a lot of you, I'm sure. It's from Schöneberg a classic track by Marmion from 93 or 94 I think.
    My main question is the following: what gives the sound that classic shape? I'm referring that the synth has a lot of highs, and then there's a little drop and then the bass part is still audible.
    https://v3.fastupload.co/file/17094
    I checked with an analyzer and you can even see there's a drop around 500 Hz, while the bass is still quite powerful. Now, I know what I'm going to read: use EQ.
    Ok, but let's say I use EQ to boost a few spots in the high or apply a simple shelf. Then when I play the synth, the EQ is static. AH WAIT I might have answered my own question but I'll still post it just in case I'm right: since these tracks are quite old, could it be possible these guys just EQd the crap out of the sound and then sampled one note and then played it back? I could do the same with some TAL Sampler to get a similar effect?
    Anyway back to the original question, if that's not the case, a notch filter doesn't work because it completely rejects the frequencies.
    I hope you understand what I mean, as soon as I can i'll try the sample trick.
    And about the sound itself: I suppose this is just a basic detuned saw

cheers bye

ps don't get tricked by the analyzer in the bass though, since the kick is also playing

Attached Files:

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Almost all samples you are going to hear from the 1993-1994 time frame are most likely not from a multi-sampled library. So you often end up with pitched chords or key runs that make little sense why the were written the way they were; until you take into account the sequencers used and how "comfortable playing position" changed the way these chords and melodies were constructed at that time. This isn't about your example, just samples and melodies of that time period. The only sampler with a filter type you may not instantly recognize would be the Emu Peak Shelf. aka Z-Plane filter.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022