Unauthorized file sharing

Discussion in 'Education' started by Kookaboo, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

Unauthorized file sharing

Code:
    http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2012/06/05/how-should-electronic-musicians-deal-with-file-sharing/#more-40842
    How Should Electronic Musicians Deal With File Sharing?

While researching an The Analog Roland Orchestra, a one man band (Michal Matlak) that makes music with vintage Roland gear,
    I noticed an interesting comment on the group’s Facebook page that highlights the human cost of unauthorized file sharing:

“One week after releasing “Home”, some great guys uploaded it already on the internet.

It’s very sad because this kind of illegal uploads injures especially small labels and artists – where people put all their
    effort, love, passion and money into a product where they will sure not earn some or big money with it – even it does not
    cover the production costs. On the next release the artist and label thinks twice to ever doing another record…

Shitty people all over the planet.

The unauthorized file sharing of Matlak’s work has both financial cost, in terms of the loss of potential sales, and a
    human cost, in terms of frustration and disillusionment.

Many would argue, though, that this sort of file sharing represents a huge opportunity. Those ‘shitty people all over the
    planet’ may listen to his music, become fans and be the audience at his next gig – all because they could find out about
    his music for free.

There’s no cut and dry answer to the debate over unauthorized music sharing. But the issue is especially important to
    electronic musicians – because many are studio focused.

Ideally, music fans would try to respect the wishes of individual musicans – but that’s probably idealistic.

How do you think electronic musicians should deal with unauthorized file sharing? And, if you’ve got digital releases,
    do you think that file sharing has helped or hurt you?

I recommend you to read all the different comments!
    :wink:

3. malco

malco Newbie

never heard of this guy. and never will again. :rofl:

4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

most of the points are true - but ill never pay for any CD in physically manner. maybe buy on or 2 tracks from beatport when i need a remix pack but nothing more.
    there are free podcasts, free internet radio stream or youtube videos. i think that will give everybody more options to listen to music for free. ive ahndled that well and reduced my music downloads of music in the 6 months to 3-4 album in the months. it wasnt it worth to use so much time finding music and download it.
    but my value of time increased listening to internet radio for drum and bass, ambient or trance.

an artist should now focus on more concerts or dj sets its the money source of the future - in trance we already see the turn around - every 2-3 years a new album and lots of gig to gain money for the music production and finally these artists are still able to porsches or to use cracked vsts (sylenth1 etc :D)

well its a theme qwe could endless discuss. the industry wont accept it that old fashioned physically copies are out of the time. sure it harms the small labels - but most of the time they arent putting up great stuff which i would really to buy in the end.

5. manducator

manducator Member

I buy cd's because I care about sound quality, or I buy flac/wav. How can someone who makes music himself choose to listen to music stream of 128 kbps? Isn't youtube 96 kbps? If someone would listen to my music in 96 kbps I would feel insulted.

People don't know quality anymore. Anyone remember the term 'high fidelity'? I miss those days...

The best quality of mp3 (320 kbps) contains only 1/4 of the data that a cd contains (1411 kbps). Nuff said.

6. ukslinger

ukslinger Ultrasonic

Absolutely correct, and I couldn't agree more. I still love my vinyl collection too.

7. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i mean for enjoying tracks which are just there for listen not for collecting. and these youtube vides are in 1411 aswell when used imutube.

why should i need a CD - when i do the CD convert to mp3 to put on my phone ...

8. mindpassfilter

mindpassfilter Member

It seems to me that this guy is about a decade behind, or just unaware of the David and Goliath game that the record industry is. Even during the music industry's heyday (1990's), only 10% of the records released would yield a profit anyway. Music recordings have become more of a "business card" so to speak in order to open up opportunities for other business ventures (merch, live shows, endorsements, acting, etc).

I understand his pain as I am also a producer that values music for the artistic quality; but that isn't what sells records. Promotion is what sells records. I suppose he is getting free advertising by complaining about the cliche topic of P2P file sharing. Good for him. I hope his strategy works, but I seriously doubt it.

I have accepted that trying to make a living from selling recordings is like trying to win the lottery - not a very wise career choice. Use the recordings as a way to open up other revenue streams such a T-shirts and concerts. Since the introduction of Napster, music was released from its cage and I don't see it ever going back. Musicians and producers need to adapt their business model and stop hoping for the 1990's to come back. Open your minds to new sources of revenue other than just selling recordings.

9. dokx1

dokx1 Ultrasonic

Lol, and the 3/4 of the CD data is not even audible to human ears. You mistake quantity for quality. *yes*

But let me guess, you are one of the few with golden ears right? :rofl: Keep it up! :wink:

10. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

Good read and lots of good comments.

It's funny how these discussions are always followed with arguments about the definition of "stealing" or "theft". Or CD quality lol

Justifications for guilt?

11. dokx1

dokx1 Ultrasonic

I see it the other way around: I kindly listen to this "found stuff" I otherwise wouldn't listen to. Everyone who tries to live off arts which can reproduced digitally has to deal with this kind of 'stealing'. File sharing does not harm the industry, it promotes the industry.

12. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

I agree that it probably doesn't harm the industry. But the artists are another thing.