Unable to record audio

Discussion in 'PC' started by Kaese, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Kaese

Kaese Newbie

Hey guys :thumbsup:
    I came across this forum thanks to the very nice software review section, now I registered hoping you can give me some advice on a rather serious problem:
    Starting a few days ago, I was suddenly unable to record any audio or midi in Cubase 5 as well as Reaper. In Cubase, midi-tracks simply disappear right after I stop recording, Reaper has "offline" written over midi-tracks and gives me the error-message "Error opening recorded media" after I stop recording an audio track then choosing "Save all". Changing all kinds of configurations in the software and Windows didn't help, so I reset any bios-settings, formatted the harddrive & reinstalled Windows and the problem still persists. I'm out of ideas by now, so hopefully you can help me.

My System:
    ASRock Z77 Extreme 3
    Intel Xeon E3 1230v2 @ 3.3GHz (I've only been using this CPU for a week after replacing an i5 3470 with it, though I really doubt this change could have caused this error)
    8 GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Geforce GTX 750Ti

3. Demon

Demon Producer

Man, this is a weird one. I had a friend that had a similar problem. What happened to him was that the main folder/drive that he had set up as his project folder (where all the Reaper files were to be saved) was write-protected, and if I may remember properly it was a network drive, which would go to sleep after not being used for a while. So I suggested a lot of things...

He adjusted the network drive settings. Another thing he did was setup Reaper to be run as administrator, guessing that maybe his system wouldn't let him save these files from a "third party" (meaning all these files get generated and named automatically, and since he was not an administrator of the system from the start, any changes were denied). I think his problem was solved after this, because I never heard about it again. Maybe you can try the same?

I hope this helps or guides you in the right direction. It's a nasty problem...

Good luck.

EDIT: I just remembered something else... Depending on how you are monitoring... make sure monitoring input is enabled (the little speaker icon). I know it sounds stupid, but happens to the best of us.

4. Kaese

Kaese Newbie

I actually found out where the problem lay and it's much more stupid than that - I didn't place the cracked Reaper.exe in the right directory so when running it it tried to save stuff in the wrong directory or something. Maybe I sould simply pay for software if I'm too dumb to install pirated versions. (this is probably what I'll do anyway, I've only used Reaper for a few hours now and already love it, and compared to other DAWs I can actually afford the price)

While this still doesn't explain the sudden problems I experienced with Cubase which worked fine for quite some time before and seems to be a seperate issue I guess it's not too important anymore now that Reaper works like a charm.
    Anyway, thanks for your answer, though I fear I kinda wasted your time with this one since the problem was pretty much just me being incompetent, so sorry about that.

5. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

It would still record without monitoring.
    You would just not be able to hear it.