Ultra small audio interface for monitoring only?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by signalflow, Aug 7, 2018.

1. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

this came today.....140 euro

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now i am playing much more on RME level....and much more cheaper cause nobody knows them...i kno it from this mad zach demos ....i lurke always and stop video and look in their lists when i can see it...he had edirol on first place...the cool thing bout ableton is you can use multiple interfaces...very handy for low budget...

it has mono stereo monitor switch ...direct monitor soft ctrl...

is a synth hi z or low z ?? got one IN with this option..

should i give energy through firewire or should i use power supply unit ??
    ----------------------------
    but hey again this pre box s2 Digital micro preamplifier is very interssting

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  2. Seriously, check it out. My needs are simple these days and I don't need more than the Babyface and the few preamps that I have, but the only weak spot is monitoring. I never really hear what I have done until whatever I am doing is rendered. I cannot make decisions based on what I cannot hear. This will solve my issue. Don't get me wrong, the Babyface AD is wonderful and Total Mix lets me monitor the input of my mics without latency, but the DA is something that is easily bypassed in favor of this little gem, the Pre Box S2. Jim Williams says, "Yes, it slays every other high end DAC here including AKM, Analog Devices, etc". Jerome Mason, a mix engineer in Nashville is blown away..."I can't get over how much more I'm hearing in the #1 the bass, that blows my mind, it's almost like I'm standing beside the bass player.... like the articulation of the bass along with what's right or wrong with it pops out, I was really caught off guard by that one. The verbs and delays, I can hear 10x more detail in that and what really kicked me in the head was when I heard modulation of the verb tail of a lead Vox.... crazy. The overall depth is totally open, listening to a mix I did a while back I burried a Tambo in verb and made it so all I could hear at the time was the attack of it..... The S2, I could hear the freaking thing rattling the whole time in the back of the mix......

Also.... I'm not sure if I'll be able to listen to compressed files anymore.... It's so audible the compression of streaming with this box that it almost turned my stomach when I heard it wash a lush verb's tail out early. And the noticeable noise between the left and right that gets shoved to the center, making the mixes narrow.

That's one hell of a DAC for $399. Solid little bastard too, built like a miniature tank, even the depress of the buttons was different than I expected and made me feel good.

Sorry, I was wrong on the price...it is 344 Euros

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...age_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=viglink20248-20

3. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Synth is usually neither hi-z [instrument] nor low-z [mic], but just "line in" level. If there is a balanced [low-z] 3-pin output on the synth, then it is low-z. Here's an informative link I DuckDuckGo-ed :): http://www.creativeedgemusic.com/2013/03/hi-z-vs-lo-z-impedance-di-boxes-preamps.html

Difference between big and small firewire jacks is that big ones conduct power, too. It could work if you have big connectors on both sides, but I'm not sure 48V phantom could work with firewire power. I'd say the power supply is your best bet, especially if you use mics that need 48V phantom power. :wink:

I love this Pre Box S2 Digital micro preamplifier, too. :wink: As far as headphone pre-amplifiers go, this one is excellent and comes much cheaper than a really nice SPL one. In the mean time my TC BMC-2 works perfectly well for my needs. But it has to be said that its headphone preamp isn't really the best quality. However, I'm using it for big speakers 99% of the time, and for that it's great, since it has balanced outputs and a really good DA converter.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

thanx guys , really top notch information....:excl::like: