UK ISP blocking vpns?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mileslong, May 21, 2016.

1. mileslong

mileslong Newbie

I have been using a vpn service for a few years, suddenly, on Virgin Media, it is blocked. Anyone got a fix for this?
    Damn police state over here!!

3. mageye

mageye Producer

I'm on Virgin in the UK. How are you sure it's been blocked?

4. Lean

Lean Producer

Virgin are twats for blocking loads of stuff. Good connection tho. Not an expert what about flush your IP etc. I've used them B4 on virgin

info
    Virgin occasionally send updates for its SuberHub's that then block outgoing VPN (Virtual Private Network) connections which you may already use to access Chambers Technology Support. Often there is no obvious warning that this is about to happen and so you may suddenly find that your CTS VPN connection stops working.
    Not to worry, you can easily fix this yourself as follows:

1. At home, open your web browser and enter the address http://192.168.0.1
    2. When prompted, for a "Super Hub username", enter "admin"
    3. And for the Super Hub password, enter "changeme" (or the password that you set)
    4. If the password was left at default (i.e. changeme) you will receive a security warning, click the OK button.
    5. Click the Advanced Settings button.
    6. Scroll down and click Firewall under the Security heading.
    7. Tick the boxes next to "IPSec Pass-Through" and "PPTP Pass-through" under the Pass-through heading.
    8. Click the Apply button.
    9. Click the Sign Out button at the top right.
    10. Close the browser window.
    11. Now try your VPN connection again.
    If the "IPSec Pass-Through" and "PPTP Pass-through" boxes were already ticked, untick the boxes, click the Apply button. Tick the boxes again and click Apply and then try your VPN connection again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Willum

Willum Rock Star

If you still have the default password on your hub, please unplug your computer, throw it in the dustbin and never go on the internet again.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Lean

Lean Producer

yes an example

7. luki3

luki3 Member

Blame David Camacunt

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  8. wouala woualouf

wouala woualouf Platinum Record

Now with the terrorism thing, governments have access to everything, and can record everything, from Internet, cell calls, phone calls, videos, chats, photos, Skype, etc. 'Because it's important for the nations to feel secure'.

If they block VPN, it's another evidence there were things on the VPN they wanted to monitorize/record, but couldn't. That way, now, they can.

I wonder how tor is working.. that network must be so so so analysed..

9. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Just imagine what Win X can do with all of those "bells and whistles". They even told the UN about their plans last week.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Lean

Lean Producer

How long before Protonmail is shut down or is it already infiltrated? The recent DDOS attacks demonstrated they want it shutting down. Interesting thing is who is actually behind it?
    Let's face it they have been monitoring just about everything people do for years and it's only going to become more intrusive.
    Different things are blocked for different reasons, some rightfully and some illegally.
    Torrent sites now inaccessible except via proxy but whose behind that?
    The music industry and the government hand in hand :yes:
    Music industry want their cash/control & the government want their tax!
    Imagine how many deals are going on behind closed doors etc.
    Well no one wants terrorism and whilst that great and it's claimed that's primarily the reason but there also many other sides to it.
    VPN's been accessed and monitored for years and are no failsafe but just an extra layer of protection that can be bypassed.
    Wouldn't surprise me if the government are paying the VPN services a backhander to keep them informed so they can monitor everything.
    I do however think whilst people rightfully want to have their privacy there is a certain air of hysteria becoming more commonplace.
    Let's face facts in that everything you do is monitored has been for a long time and will only become more widespread.
    It's not just on a computer either. You can't even take a piss these days without some form of alarm going off lets face it.
    Been here for a very long time and it's here to stay so just get used to it and live with the fact that we live in a corrupt world where rules that exist for some people are somehow not applicable to the very same people we elect and entrust to protect us.
    We live in a corrupt world where money is power and that's about all there is to it.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  11. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Accepting it is a valid strategy, but how far do you want to go on this journey? There is always a next step, then another, and so far they haven't revealed their hand regarding what they will do with all of this data. I don't believe they are collecting it for fun, but we will know soon enough when everything is in place.

12. Lean

Lean Producer

Agree totally Zenarcist. Personally I think 99.999999% is collected and trashed as it completely irrelevant and no good for anything. It's data collection in general as a specific practice and MS been doing it for years.

13. mileslong

mileslong Newbie

Well thanks for all the replies, Lean's comment about the password on the hub was superb! VPN definitely blocked by VM, I even went into their online security section and added that site to "allowed" sites, but it is still blocked. Any other ideas appreciated.
    Wonder what the security bods reading this think of our forum?
    :dont:

14. mileslong

mileslong Newbie

15. mileslong

mileslong Newbie

I already did that Lean, no difference, reckon it's a crackdown on use of vpns. Guess I will have to go down the old onion route...

• List
  16. Lean

Lean Producer

Has your hub been updated recently? Maybe try a manual reset via the hub manager. There are a few options in there and a total reset may work & generate new IP etc nut I not an expert obvviously on these matters

17. Lean

Lean Producer

I have used cyberghost with virgin a while back no problems. It wouldn't surprise me because Virgin are Blocking More & More & more every day. Branson probably getting a backhander from Cameron lol or someone hacked his shitty train wifi so he annoyed It is frustrating tho :dunno: They blocked so many sites recently and its so annoying. They say it's the government blah blah but on other newtworks you can manage the very same page no problems it's not the government its them

18. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Branson sold Virgin to some yanks ages ago.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Lean

Lean Producer

Didn't know that Zenarcist :bow: am not exactly current affairs like lol. I Wonder how much of a percentage he gets or whether that was included in the deal :dunno:

20. mageye

mageye Producer

There is no evidence that Virgin Media are actually blocking any VPN's. I have been looking online and have found nothing at all to suggest that Virgin Media block access to VPN.

I know how difficult it can be to get help and service from Virgin Media as I am (myself) a customer.

I have tried to look on Virgin Medias' FAQ and it couldn't be found. (this is typical of Virgin)

What I am aware of is the sites which have to be blocked by law in the UK. These are commonly known and listed. (here for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_websites_blocked_in_the_United_Kingdom).

However - no mention of any VPN services.

Have you actually made contact with Virgin Media and asked them directly? Have you checked on the website of the VPN provider?

• List
  21. Lean

Lean Producer

Well if Virgin Media still British I blame Cameron and if it sold like Zenarcist kindly pointed to yanks out is obviously CIA No doubt about it :rofl:

Is horrible when that suddenly happens tho and maybe it is just a hub update :dunno:.

I hope you get the problem sorted out mileslong especially if you are paying for a service that is now innacessible for whatever reason :bow: