UI Lag in Live 10

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cav Emp, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Is anyone else experiencing this? When changing any parameter on the Live UI during playback I'll get some "lag" on the mouse and parameter than I'm dragging. So I'll be turning a knob and it will lag, then it will "jump" to whatever value I unknowingly dragged it to.

Weirdest part is everything else on the UI is still working. The VU meters and any open analyzers on Spectrum or EQ8 devices never lag, the playhead still moves smoothly, it's just the mouse and whatever knob I'm turning. It's worse when I have a second window open with dual monitors, but it can happen with just one window as well.

Now I am using the intel integrated graphics on my i7 but that was never a problem with Live 9.

Another issue I'm having is projects with many audio files seem to 'load' during playback. No matter how much time I give the project before pressing play, when I hit a spot in the song where more than a couple audio files begin playing, the little disk indicator in the top right will flash red, and the audio clips will not play until I stop playback and restart it.

So far I'm having a few minor but rather annoying issues with Live 10. I don't know if anyone here can help - as I suspect the problem is Live itself and I'll have to wait for an update - but I'd like to know whether I'm the only one going through this.

edit: I'm retarded. I meant to post this in the Live forum. I need to pay attention.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  3. spyfx

spyfx Guest

Nope,not a problem here,haven't dived deeply into it yet,but made a couple of tracks with it & everything works,even the Bengal by Max for Cats runs smoother & better :wink: :bow:

4. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Huh. I don't know whether that's encouraging or discouraging. On the one hand, maybe it's not Live itself, and then I don't have to sit back and wait for Ableton to fix it.

On the other hand, fuck me, I have to figure out what the problem is lol

5. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Well in light of the fact that I only noticed this problem recently, I went back and reinstalled some older versions of the Beta. Live 10.0.1b8 behaves normally. Live 10.0.1b10 (which ultimately became the released version I believe) was when it first started happening.

So, presumably they changed something between beta 8 and beta 10 that caused this issue. To me that suggests it's a problem with Live. This is actually pretty discouraging because if there aren't tons of people reporting this problem Ableton will take a year to fix it.

6. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I haven't noticed this exact thing, but Live 10. 0.1 does feel more clunky than 9.7.5 did in terms of the UI and the performance.

7. DJK

DJK Rock Star

never known so many people to have problems with live

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

It's a brand new release. I wasn't around for Live 8's release but I've read horror stories about it. They'll iron out all this stuff sooner or later.

What concerns me is if my problem is in any way relatively obscure they'll act like it doesn't exist until enough people pop up with it. When I first bought Push 2 the display wouldn't show the channel meters or waveforms. I spent weeks or months exchanging e-mails with support and they tried to tell me the problem was unique to me. That made me furious because there were at least 3 or 4 other knowledge base posts with the same problem and they tried to write it off with "oh well they resolved the problem by upgrading to windows 10" which I was not willing to do at the time.

I generally like Ableton as a company but their "level 1" support is abysmal. It's just the same old shit even a tech pleb like me does before even contacting support. Have you tried reinstalling? What about updating your graphics drivers? Did you delete the Push driver and let it reinstall when you open Live? Have you tried turning it off and on again? The "level 2" support guy was better but still didn't have any solutions. Ultimately I had to install windows 10 to get waveform and meter displays on my Push 2.

9. Someware

Someware Ultrasonic

I am having a bit of lag when I load up my Moog SubPhatty Editor, the graphics really lag out and go jerky while moving knobs, I've even set up Live to run only using my Geforce 960 as the GPU for it.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Raddler777

Raddler777 Guest

^^^ What OS are you using?

11. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Sounds pretty similar to what I'm experiencing. Sadly, mine happens with native devices and elements of the Live UI, which is unavoidable

12. Someware

Someware Ultrasonic

Windoze 10 ><

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Just realised mine seems to be largely graphical glitches. Just going from full screen to windowed or changing window size seems to glitch sometimes, even when it's a blank project and nothing playing.

14. Tyler Fingerle

Tyler Fingerle Member

This problem has just got significantly worse for me since they rolled out ableton version 10.0.2. The user interface just constantly freezes on me. It seems like the UI has trouble refreshing. Anytime I am dealing with audio clips it seems to especially get worse. The reason that I have suspected that it is ableton is because as soon as I noticed the issue (which was relatively fast because it is obvious and f*cking annoying) I looked up my build and noticed that it had just updated. I have tried many different things, MANY different things. I am talking extreme things...

I went out and bought a brand new interface. A three thousand dollar waves digigrid ios and ioc, hoping that maybe loading the program off of my cpu and onto the dsp would solve it, but didn't...

I carefully sifted through all of my drivers, all of my start up programs, I would watch my computers background processes to see if it would coincide with any cpu drain, I've switched it back and forth between background process and program priority (which having it in program and not background process actually seemed to have helped some...), I've optimized my solid states, and even switched it to cache write back, which is risky, but i am absolutely desperate. I have a show in 7 days and literally, no joke, as I was in the middle of this, live just randomly decided to start skipping like it is mocking me.

I went out and got a 2nd solid state along with the 1 terabit ssd that I already have, hoping that pulling files from 2 separate solid states would help, but as I just said, it is still acting up.

I am using a MSI GT73eVR 7RF Titan Pro
    I have the following specs on my laptop

i7-7820HK CPU @ 2.90GHz (3.9GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 DDR5 8GB

NVIDIA High Definition Audio, and

Waves SoundGrid

32 GB RAM DDR4-2400

Intel Raid 0 Volume 1TB SSD Gen3 2200/MBs

HGST HTS721010A9E630 1TB HDD 7200RPM

1x Type-C (USB3.1 Gen2 / DP / Thunderboltâ„¢3)
    5x Type-A USB3.0
    1x RJ45
    1x SD (XC/HC)
    1x (4K @ 60Hz) HDMI
    1x Mini-DisplayPort

My computer has been running great. It's not even a year old. I dropped a lot of money on this laptop, and i've optimized it for music production, and I have absolutely no problems with any other programs on this laptop. In fact ableton runs great as well, which is what pisses me off the most, because when ableton freezes, it is LITERALLY and i mean LITERALLY only the UI, if i have Serum, or Ozone 8 open, even when Ableton decides to freeze, every VST is still working flawlessly visually and performance wise. When it freezes I have to be careful where I click BECAUSE ABLETON IS STILL RESPONDING, I just can't see it, and it has caused me to seriously screw up my automations, and sometimes I don't realize it, or if i am doing a drag and drop with an audio file and it freezes, then I literally have to "hang on to it" until it unfreezes because i have accidentally dropped files and overlapped and deleted other audio files and not realize it.

I have posted in the Ableton forums twice and still have gotten no reply, so I gave up there.

This is the first post i have seen where others are having the same problems. Hopefully someone can help, or at least my misery can help someone else solve it.

15. Tyler Fingerle

Tyler Fingerle Member

So, I just read on reddit that it might be a bug with the screen Hz. It doesn't glitch for most people, only people with screens and monitors with refresh rates over 60hz. My refresh rate is 120hz, so i was going to turn it down and see if it fixes it for me.

16. Tyler Fingerle

Tyler Fingerle Member

I can't change my refresh rate, but I did turn off my NVIDIA G-Sync (which syncs the screen and programs together to avoid tearing) and so far it is running flawlessly, but we'll see

17. pine

pine Ultrasonic

Live 10 is running smoothly on both of my laptops (5 year old & 6 months old) so it isn't the software itself, it's something very specific to you guys.

18. Seckkksee

Seckkksee Guest

YES! The issue is intermittent, but it DOES happen often enough. Like tonight. I'm trying to fine tune my filter freq to my kicks fundamental, and even holding shift while moving my trackball, was rollin for a good minute or two, but I was doing this for multiple kicks in a project, I couldn't for the life of me get the freq right because it would jump from say 112 to 31 *rolls trackball even slower* back to 141 then 20.. you guys get the deal. Took me forever. I hadn't complained, much because I figured it was a graphics card issue as I switched to a newer setup after tax time, but my AMD card bit the dust and now I'm broke, can't afford a new one yet and was relying on my back up a waaayy older Nvidia 8800GT, and its so old I figured it was just lagging like that. But the issue is real. I've got an AMD Ryzen 5 1600x with 16 gigs on a 500 GB SSD, I'm sure other than my video card I got plenty of horsepower. Weird issue that needs to be fixed yesterday.

19. Tyler Fingerle

Tyler Fingerle Member

It is a problem with the graphics card and the frame/sync rate. I went in and deactivated my G-Sync setting on my graphics card, and i have been using it for 2 hours now and it hasn't lagged once, and it has been lagging on me every 5 mins since may 28th, i have a show in 7 days so i have been soldering through it lol but dude, i was about to punch a hole through my screen lol.

Try messing around with your screen refresh rate, and anything that refers to "vertical sync" or "g-sync"

I don't know what I did exactly that worked, I deactivated my g-sync first, then I set my graphics card to... hang on, i'll just post pics

20. Tyler Fingerle

Tyler Fingerle Member

First i deactivated the g-sync (pic one), then I selected the little box that said "override game and program scaling", then I went through my list of options and deactivated anything related to frame rates, vertical syncing, and anything that gave programs more control.

Attached Files:

21. Tyler Fingerle

Tyler Fingerle Member

Just look at this automating that i had to put together for my laser and lights. The program kept freezing the ENTIRE time lol, dude I was going insane. I'm relieved that I got it to stop (although, i'm kind of irritated that I had to f*ck up all of my graphic card settings, for a program that cost damn near a grand....)

hopefully you can find your fix

Attached Files: