uefi or not?

Discussion in 'PC' started by panaman, Jul 22, 2023.

1. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I was a VM ware guy. I felt more secure with VM Snap shots running in case of a MS poop. We had 10 gig fiber brocade back plane switches feeding the SAN. I built it from the ground up. It was fast and sweet. Server were Dell AMD. Lots of power and ram.
    As the servers got more hungry Memory, Disk space or ram just added more on the fly so sweet. No stupid reboots.
    Unless it was a MS patch. LOL.

Had one place tell me to ditch VM and use Hyper V because it is free with wind blows.. I said sure this way when the main server craps out the whole network goes down. Very smart. Stupidest thing I had ever heard. I also had a few Linux servers running MySQL, Samba and sftp site.

Funny part is Linux had a jail system that was great. Now MS stole it for wind blows, yet they preach wind blows is the greatest. Issue os Wind Blows is not modular like Unix, Solaris and Linux.
    So when one thing breaks it craps out the whole machine. Yes It has gotten better but still no where near what Unix systems are.

2. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

So who really needs Win11 anyway? And requiring a "dongle" to install it? Does anyone know half of what enabled TPM's are even capable of? And to top it all off here we have an industry that is SO concerned with your security and safety that they require what amounts to a mysterious dongle to run an OS... Yet, an industry that insists the Intel Management Engine (the single-most potential point of security failure in history) still be placed into every intel processor with, in many cases, no discernible way to disable it... That's two faced bi-polar scheister behavior - more duplicitous than anything else...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
  3. MdB

MdB Guest

i love the fact that i can use the mouse in the bios menus

4. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

Virtually all new computers/mainboards use UEFI instead of legacy Bios. You don't really have a choice.

5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

That's right. Just disable all the Microsoft "secure" and "trust" shit you find in the BIOS and you're good to go.

6. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

With most (not all system boards are made equal) you get the choice of running the machine in either "legacy mode" or UEFI mode. It would be a selectable option(s) in the gui menu. With any UEFI based legacy mode you still select options in the same graphical interface but the support given to the machine/OS emulates the older type bios charateristics. At least that is the way I have seen it implemented on as many newer UEFI based machines that I have worked on... I have never seen an actual UEFI bios that sported a purely text based interface. I would be as bold to say that there are no UEFI systems that use text based interfaces to date.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
  7. itisntreal

itisntreal Member

maybe someone here can explain me how to do this when i boot my system and hold esc for 5 or 10 sec grub2 opens which is weird i never installed it myself can it be done remotely or do you need local access to the system?

8. panaman

panaman Kapellmeister

thank you all for contributing, glad i asked. i learned a lot.
    i now wonder if it wouldnt be possible to boot from gpt with some kind of boot manager, that would be best of both worlds: legacy mode and gpt booting...