UAD - Spark / UAD went native

Discussion in 'Software News' started by FinalMasterv7.3, Mar 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VSKZ

VSKZ Producer

Is that really the case? I understood that only users that got the plugins until now can get these, and for all people that are new to UAD only the subscription model is possible.

2. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

3. Ariel Gonzalez

Ariel Gonzalez Platinum Record

well if that is the case, uad can make a great deal out of this actually

4. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

Perhaps they can, and I think ultimately it's a good thing (OUTSIDE of the subscription bullshit)... Kinda like when Digi/Avid dumped having to own their hardware back in 2007 or 2008 or whatnot...

5. VSKZ

VSKZ Producer

From another Forum:

"So even if I didn't have any UA interface or satellite I can go to the UA site right now, buy the 1176 UAD2 collection and install the native version and use it?"

"No"

That's really sad. I would buy some of their native plugins without subscription immediately. What if I will have a time when I'm low on money in the future and need that $20? Sad for me! Now I can't work on my projects and opening older projects? Fck me too I guess.

Subscription works for stuff like Netflix where I'm not depend on it!

6. dia manu

dia manu Producer

im with you, once the inflation hit in october i cancelled ALL subscriptions and reduced my spending to the minimum.
    im super happy with pc and native, everything else, including the new apple ecosystem as well as the hardware company uad that sells their hardware with plugins that supposedly sound more analog, which they dont, cause i ran them almost all side by side with the originals, had to go.

pc x native x r2r is the financial, quality, standard for years to come.

7. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

So what youre saying is, youll be able to hear difference in a blind test between one of their plugins and lets just say for shits and giggles 10 other similar plugins made by other developers?

Nah son.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. marveljam

marveljam Ultrasonic

I have a ton of UA gear. The interfaces and Satellite DSP gear saved me for awhile on Mac. I left Mac in the studio just before the M1 chip made it to Mac OS. I use Windows machines everywhere else so I switched. Windows users support is still lacking. Frankly, Windows has been a pain in the ass for the studio. I am not changing back. This was good news until I saw the Windows date. This is further proof that they are not truly cross platform. At least I am not being forced to use Luna. It is a baby DAW with years of growth to catch up.

9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Well then i guess the solution is to go naughty over that time.

honestly i have a netflix HD plan, which i dont even use, its just easier to well download the files via torrent and watch in a media player.

I guess the same thing might will happen with UAD stuff too. I mean you can pay the 20 bucks to them and maybe if they are out blessed you can just go and use the naughty version for convience?
    In the end we the pirates are maybe the winners?

10. Bllyboy

Bllyboy Ultrasonic

Audio boner!!

11. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

Correct, at the moment, permanent native licenses are only for people with UAD2 hardware, as you have to have hardware registered to your account to buy plugins.

That may change in the future, of course...

12. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

Note, the UAD API Vision strip plugin (mono) takes 26.3% of one UAD2 chip. So you could run 24-32 instances on a $1000 Octo DSP system

Guy over on GS says he could run 96 of them natively in Studio One on his M1Max, with all options enabled.

And the UADx native plugins aren't even Apple silicon yet, they are running under Rosetta...

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Bandit

Bandit Producer

Been using UAD for some time now, also own a bunch of plugins... it's does feel like I am getting screwed over now to be honest. Wondering what the CPU hit is. I wonder if you do a subscription, if you can also run these from your UAD card? Couldn't find it that quickly. It's great I think for people to try their plugins without major investment in UAD cards!

14. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

Yes, you can choose to run the UAD2 version, or the UADx version - different plugins.

15. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

Couldn't agree more. I pay for services, and I pay for software all the time. And sometimes it is simply easier and more cpu efficient to use the naughty versions as you put it. Whether it be a damn Netflix thing or Ableton you know?

(I know it won't effect you, but will me and others as MacOS, and that R2R probably aren't coming to the rescue here as iLok. But whatever. I have had UAD shit. I have not had UAD shit.

I honestly can live without it. be nice to have, but honestly, i'm good.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  16. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

Yeah, that corresponds to all I have read, and experienced with friends setups.

That pretty much settles that.

Those M1/Apple silicon chips are crazy fucking fast and efficient.

Sucks to be in the hardware department at UA, as I imagine a certain portion of it is getting laid off.... (although they do have their hardware LA2A clones etc... but...)

17. Hooman.Leys

Hooman.Leys Platinum Record

Lol son
    You just want to show off as I see here!
    1st: I just said you cannot find those sounds (specific names I mentioned and some more...) in the other plugins and I didn't say anything about which one is good or which is not! (go and read my post again with open eyes and carefully)
    2nd: don't talk to me like you know everything, we all learn everyday, even me after more than 25 years experiences in this industry!
    Blind test got old son, there are tools to see what our plugins does and see the differences/comparison between the plugins! and I know that you know those tools son (to see the differences not which is good or bad son:))

Yeah son.

18. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

You literally said the following:

and as for other plug ins you didn't mention, I'm sorry that the other user is not a mind reader on that.

And if anyone is being condescending here, quite frankly, it is you.

This isn't a hostile thread or site in that regard.

I have been using plugins since day 1 and prior to that as I was beta testing for Digidesign before they even had plugins. I've been doing this for awhile as well. Doesn't mean I would discount someone else's ability with another plug in that I didn't buy into a stupid eco-system for.

I don't think UAD stuff is 'bad', I think what is good about it is the programmers/coders etc. NOT the hardware it runs on.

And I think quite a few good records have been made without UAD nonsense despite what their advertisements would lead you to believe ffs. :mates::bow::yes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  19. I'm happy hearing this for one reason alone... been hoping UAD would come out with a native version of the Townsend mic emulations that are currently only usable with UAD hardware, which has pissed me off to no end. I was really bummed when I heard UAD bought out Townsend which had me thinking it might mean the end of Townsend updates for the non-UAD hardware folks like me. Though the mic emulations aren't part of the "Spark" package, maybe this means eventually they will show up in a native form.

As for these specific Spark plugins, I predict they will bring a similar reaction as recent East West releases next door... you waited a long time, finally got to try them, only to realize they weren't anywhere near as valuable as you thought they'd be. I mean, I'm sure a couple of them are probably worthwhile, but listen to the demo of that Ravel piano and then try to tell me with a straight face that you really, really need that. Nah!

20. Hooman.Leys

Hooman.Leys Platinum Record

Hey mate,
    Thanks for your reply!
    But did I mentioned that the Waves or any other plugins are bad?
    It is normal if you like a food between 2 different food right? But it's not a reason that the other one is a bad food :)

About the other ua stuff I mentioned some names like Manley or AMS and some more,

By the way we are not here to accused each other and I never like to be rude but what @aymat replied me was not a right reaction as I didn't mean what he said at all,
    Let's close this conversation and enjoy the vibe:)

Kind regards,

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.