UAD question

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by stonescorner, Sep 1, 2021.

1. stonescorner

stonescorner Newbie

Asking for a friend (I did read and search before this post) They bought a secondhand UAD device and it has extra plugins activated. If they never register, or have internet on the computer, those plug-ins (which are not demos) will then stay activated? Obviously the device must store the authorisations, since my friend installed everything off-line and all the plugins work. As I understand it, the normal situation is for a seller to transfer those to either a) the buyer; or b) themselves, for use with a different device. What would be the point of registering - except to buy new plugins - and of course lose all the ones that came with the card? I guess at some point updates would be out of the question, but it seems to me that bricking unknown consumers hardware would be possibly illegal in some countries. So is this a case of "don't ask, don't tell" ?Thanks for your insights.

3. court

court Noisemaker

i've read of an instance on the UA forum where a buyer purchased an interface but the seller didn't transfer the license. As long as you have the proof of purchase and serial number, I don't see why UA wouldn't just transfer everything to your friend

4. tylerv

tylerv Platinum Record

definitely don't register it. unless you're planning to buy more ua plugins. as long as you don't register it the plugins are yours for as long as you have the interface.

bought my mkII quad 2nd hand from a pawn shop around 3ish years ago for $300 (big time score, crazy good deal, the shop had had it on a shelf where no one could see it for months). they were just happy someone came in and actually knew what the hell it was and was willing to give them anything for it. anyway, it got even better when i got home and hooked it up and realized there were ab 35 plugins authorized to the card! use it daily, with little snitch running to keep it from calling home, and still have all authorizations working perfectly.

5. It should be encumbent upon the seller to transfer the licenses at the time of sale. The plugins become the buyers property and their value should no longer be held by the previous owner. Doing nothing about the transfer is going to cause problems somewhere in the future.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List