u-he zebra2 and dark zebra on osx?

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by northwinds, Sep 27, 2021.

1. northwinds

northwinds Kapellmeister

Hi all
    I just discovered u-he zebra2 and am impressed!
    I have the latest version 2.9.3 rev 12092 AUinstalled and working beautifully in Logic Pro X 10.5.1, but....

I tried installing the Dark Zebra version and although the component is where it should be, I can't get it to show in Logic???

I did a show package contents on both and opened the info.plist files for a look and the ZebraHZ component (Dark Zebra) is showing as bundle version 2.8.0 as opposed to 2.9.3 in the working "vanilla" Zebra2.

Any thoughts how to fix this please?

Cheers!

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

for some reason, I remember something odd about this at that time. I can look at it for you. I have never had any Zebra installed so it will be fresh and maybe less confusing. give me a few.
    logic 10.5 too. someone posted "AU do not appear in Logic, ZebraHZ.component is rightly located but does not appear"... so same report as you. This is with DarkZebra 2.8.0.

4. northwinds

northwinds Kapellmeister

yes - thank you! Any info very much appreciated!
    The reg details for the 2.9.3 Zebra2 are different from those from the Dark Zebra, but I can't figure how to re - reg Zebra 2 with the other reg details?

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

so yes, zebra 2 installs fine. however, Logic cannot "see" the Dark Zebra version v 2.8. I used the new AUValidate tool. Permissions Reset. Codesigner. BatChmod.Terminal. No dice.

The VST and VST3 can be loaded via BlueCat Audio Patchworks.

The AU cannot, returning this
    error: Could not load ""Please check that this is a compatible 64-bit Audio Unit plug-in.

Which means running Zebra 2.9 is easier to get to for normal use, some of the 2.8 stuff was "carried over into 2.9 patches". Use Patchworks if the "Dark" version matters to you. Apparently some of the filter section is taken from Diva....whatever.

The registration only appears that way, because you are only loading 2.9 directly from Logic. Because the plugin manager does not see 2.8. Unless you use Patchworks. You will then see the 2.8 activation method on that version of the plugin. They are separate registrations, Cheam.

I'd like to get the v2.8 AU loaded also, if possible. probably doesn't matter much, other than convenience. you could look on the actual support page for stuff about it not working in logic.
    "that was fixed fixed via 2.9" kind of deadend probably. But there are tons of sound banks for this synth. :)

btw, I never installed AAX. on rare occasion this can cause problems, but it does not look that way to me.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  6. northwinds

northwinds Kapellmeister

Thanks for all that!

I might try the vst version through patchworks to see what I'm missing.

The link I posted above suggests athere is a 2.9 version of Dark Zebra, plus the official site confirms that - i wonder if it is possible to find that version an duse the 2.8 registration?

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

ZebraHZ history
    ZebraHZ 2.9.2 (revision 10374)

ZebraHZ 2.9.2 offers NKS support and we increased the number of Comb filter modules from 2 to 4 and Resonators from 1 to 3. Your version is older? Request your licenses here

ZebraHZ 2.8 (revision 9709)

Apart from a sleek new look and the new searchable preset browser, ZebraHZ version 2.8 has more synthesis "grunt" than the previous version: First, we doubled the number of modulation matrix slots (now 24) and MSEGs (now 8) so you are unlikely to run out of those in a hurry!

ZebraHZ also inherits the wave folder modules and the plate reverb (NuRev) from the regular Zebra 2.8. With two fundamentally different reverb units you can not only set up more interesting spaces, but dedicate one of them to e.g. emulating the body of an acoustic guitar.

Finally, the most recent special request from Hans: the 8 X/Y sources now appear in the list of modulators so you can use them as direct performance controls.

[​IMG]
    ZebraHZ - user interface

Zebra2 Release Notesfor a complete list of changes.

Download the ZebraHZ / The Dark Zebra user guide (PDF).

The Dark Zebra arose from a collaboration between Hans Zimmer and Howard Scarr. The soundset contains 400 presets—nearly all the Zebra sounds found in the The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises soundtracks, and some that did not make it into those films.

Also included, a custom-built version of Zebra2 (ZebraHZ) requested by Hans to suit his workflow. Several of the Dark Zebra presets take advantage of the extra features only available in ZebraHZ.

NEW August 10, 2021: Native Apple M1 support and more. See Zebra2 Release Notesfor a complete list of changes.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  8. northwinds

northwinds Kapellmeister

Signed up to their newsletter for future sale notifications, so fingers crossed!

However I did try installing the vst and vst3 versions then loaded via patchwork and really impressed!!!

Funnily though loading the au version via patchwork gave me the non 64 bit warning.
    Therefore thought I'd dig out 32 lives to see what it was capable of, but it doesn't see the au either!

Oh well!

9. northwinds

northwinds Kapellmeister

Now here's a strange thing - I just installed U-he Diva v1 4 5 12092 WIN OSX LINUX Regged-RET and restarted logic, after which it took a while to rescan and in addition to Diva I now have ZebraHZ showing up and available as an AU!

10. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Not really.
    Many plugs only show after a full OS reboot, let alone a new Logic session.

11. clone

clone Audiosexual

Same result here. That makes no sense. lol.

Of course I restarted during installation, when Logic would not see the plugin