U-He Satin unmatched?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Von_Steyr, Feb 10, 2016.

?

Is Satin currently the best virtual tape machine emulator/plugin on the market?

1. Yes.

38.3%
  2. No.

6.4%
  3. No,Slate makes the best.

12.8%
  4. Waves wins here.

2.1%
  5. Other companies not mentioned here would get my vote.

19.1%
  6. CDSoundMaster R2R is the best

21.3%
  1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I have tested several tape machine plugins and have yet to find a better virtual tape machine emulator than u-he Satin.
    Some didnt impress like the Slate virtual tape machines.
    Altough Slate`s VCC Channel and VCC MixBuss with other plugins like Revival are great tools and worth the money,those didnt disappoint.
    Also FerricTDS,is a freeware and its really good.If EQing,compression and other tools still dont make your kick sound fatter,livelier and dynamic then FerricTDS could help a lot,as i found out in my case.
    Can also be inserted to a mixbus for a bit of glue and the best part its free!

All in all,u-he is such a great tool.The ability to change encoders/decoders and all other settings like circuitry,tape settings,ips speed etc,makes a huge difference to the sound,it glues like no other plugin on a mixbus,can be used also on all instrument busses,can eat up your cpu though if you dont distribute it carefully.
    There`s also a ton of user presets for Satin on the web,so all in all just an amazing plugin.

I havent tested Waves or other companies that arent mentioned here.
    So the verdict is not final.

What are your experiences?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. badboy4life

badboy4life Ultrasonic

Try R2R-The Essential Analog Tape Collection from CDSoundMaster along with Tapebooster+ (Nebula programs). I own both VTM and Satin, they're both good plugins and very verstile, however when it comes to sound there's huge difference between them and R2R. Nebula's R2R has that "realness" to the sound that no other plugin has.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

@badboy4life
    TY for the tip,will check out for sure.

Edit;Have added R2R to the poll.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2016
  5. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

I don't think there will be an end all emulation ever. Each emulation has their own characteristics, for example, Slate's VTM sounds like a high end tape machine that is in pristine condition. Gives very clean sounds that work well with genres that don't usually get printed to tape like EDM and pop.

Wave's Kramer and J37 sound like tape machines that have been in use for years and maintained to bare minimum standards just to keep them running. Has the grit people expect.

Satin I don't have much experience with but I imagine it can do a wide range of things.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Enoch007

Enoch007 Kapellmeister

UAD:wink:

• List
  7. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Satin really is something I agree, I don't think anything can beat it (in emulation matter of course) in terms of "tweakability", you can really try to emulate any sort of tape machine in there, it's fun ...And it has other usages, it's a great multi effect tool. But you can't beat it in ressources usage too (like most of u-he plugs), and this one is a big time starving beast, it can be a problem for a session with a lot of tracks.

8. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

VTM is tape emulation for dummies (limited options), that is highly regarded by pros with extensive experience of real tape machines. It's fairly simple to get good results as long as you gain stage properly, but do keep in mind this a subtle effect.

• List
  9. returnal

returnal Rock Star

My fave is Satin, but I can't say whether it's the best. I find it very intuitive and versatile and it sounds great. For a stronger, grittier, deeper effect-style tape vibe I love Airwindows' Iron Oxide.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    • List
  10. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

HAIL SATIN!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  11. DonCaballero

DonCaballero Producer

I think you're overlooking ToneBoosters RealBus. It's very versatile and has a great sound. Lately I've started using Slate's VTM and find it adds a nice thickness and roundness to things. Not as suble as I'd expect real tape to be, but great for beefing up drums and bass. I wasn't super impressed with Satin initially, but I'll give it another shot based on this thread.

• List
  12. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I find a couple of double WHite Russians makes ALL the difference in the world when it comes to getting that perfect sound at 2AM

Satin.. yeah.. it helps for sure. But i also like WAVES... with a Corona and lime :cheers::cool::chilling:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

I actually like limited options, makes the experience more analog. Take the 1176, 4 knobs 4 switches (8 if you include the metering ones), in plugin form theres a crap ton of additions like sidechain filters, mix knob (which I love), m/s matrix...

VTM's limited options feel like a trip to the optometrist, flick a switch, is it better, worse, or same? flick another switch and repeat.

14. lacont

lacont Newbie

Wave J37 is my goto tape emulation choice. It has the best dirty sound hands down..needed for house and techno

• List
  15. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Old 2" tape 15ips on the tracks and new 1/2" tape 30ips on the mix bus :wink:

• List
  16. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
    [​IMG]

17. dmoll

dmoll Ultrasonic

you have forget nomad factory magentic 2 , i like it a lot and for sure satin to

• List
  18. muaB

muaB Producer

i actually heard a story that UAD wanted to bring satin on their platform but its technically not possible due to a little secret they use ;)

19. badboy4life

badboy4life Ultrasonic

20. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I have tried VTM, the Waves stuff (J37, Kramer Tape) and I like Satin more, lots more. Satin is more subtle in the way it adds saturation and warmth. It isn't harsh sounding. If you add the calibration settings and the tape delay, it's a no brainer. I haven't demoed the UAD Studer or Ampex emulations. I am afraid I might sell a kidney if I get to like them more than Satin.

21. tidus1990

tidus1990 Producer

The UAD Ampex ATR-102 is regarded by many as the best tape emulation.

• Like Like x 1
    • List