U-He is trying to push forward new, license-fee free plugin format CLAP

Discussion in 'Software' started by 5teezo, Mar 5, 2022.

Tags:
  1. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

In the future u-He plugins will give you the clap!

I can't help it, emotionally I'm 8

• Funny Funny x 18
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. devilorcracker

devilorcracker Platinum Record

[​IMG]

5. slowpoke

slowpoke Kapellmeister

The first plugin released under the new U-He CLAP format. "Chlamydia 1.0 - Dreamy soundscapes of burning and discomfort"

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I really want to see this happen, and will support this.

However it needs to gain a lot of traction to become a universal interface, sad to say, and I can't see it happening just yet. Big name players like Steinberg or Apple will probably never support CLAP. And before that happens, developers have very little reason to support this.

But I'm hoping because this is very cool stuff.

7. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Clap is crap ?
    Kat kum clap. :rofl:

Seriously.
    It's good to see some diversity in plug-in format, so Steinberg wouldn't have a monopoly.
    Let's see if they really get into this difficult market.
    Also, we'll have to see how user firendly to this format is. U-He have demonstrated that protection wise their not specially subtle.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
  8. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

My guess is that it's going to be hard unless more and more plugin manufacturers stop supporting VST and VST3 at some point.
    Which would likely harm their own business to some extent.

But I welcome such attempts, no question!

9. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Somebody hasn't thought this one through :)

10. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I took a look at the CLAP... ahem... "project" and unfortunately it's still very green and not very maintained. Such a shame, I hope some skilled programmers join the project and put hours because it's a lot of work.
    I feel you bro!! :mates::rofl:

11. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

12. arbuckle

arbuckle Ultrasonic

Justin Frankel of REAPER was asked about it and says it's interesting and they'll likely support it in a future release. And Bitwig are on board (i.e. the linux nerds are in...). More importantly, if it's got buy in from the JUCE framework then that'll make it simple for plug-in devs to offer CLAP as an option, without too much hassle.

Steinberg's ownership of VST is problematic for smaller plugin developers (who probably use JUCE), for example they haven't been allowing new devs to use VST2 for a few years now. forcing them to use only VST3 even though some DAWs like Maschine weren't compatible. Wish they'd just opensource VST3 like Presonus/Celemony did with ARA last year, but that's probably not going to happen... not sure what Steinberg get in terms of licencing fees, but I reckon they mainly like having their name plastered as the default VST plugin folder.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. pizzafresser

pizzafresser Producer

I love open formats, hope this thing takes off and the major DAWs start supporting it. VST is extremely restrictive and very anti developer.

14. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

It's great that it is open source. But my guess is, it won't become relevant unless the major players implement it (Logic, Cubase, Pro Tools and Ableton Live). For that to happen it must be better than alll existing plugin formats.

In the end, Devs have to compile yet another plugin format when building plugins. So you have AU, VST, VST3, AAX, CLP (or whatever the extension is called) and all of this times 3: Windows, macOS (intel), macOS (M1). Pretty sure devs really looking forward to it (NOT).

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  15. livemouse

livemouse Producer

I like Reaper's ReaJS format. Plugins that run from a plain text file. It's easy to program DSP in it. So Urs if you're reading, can CLAP get a ReaJS interpreter built in?

16. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. sentientlantern

sentientlantern Member

Excellent. Even though VST3 was an improvement, VST in general is getting quite old in the tooth.

18. dondada

dondada Rock Star

i dont think that is the problem, i think steinberg where to thinly spread.
    if they really adress the vst3 shortcomming, could be bad news for clap.
    clap sounds really cool, but all in all, there are a lot of stupid blockades.
    i´m surprised midi worked for so long, the new controller implemntation in cubase 12
    should have been open and implementeda decade ago. Touch is a mess, pen control is a mess
    i use a 3d controller for cad work, and this could have been a monster vst controller.
    but every other firm cooking up their own closed systems, its frustrating.:chilling:

19. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I wonder why they just don't use good new LV2 open source standard that replaced LADSPA and it's been here for a good while already? Why inventing something new? It feels more like a SLAP than a CLAP. :rofl: However, I applaud to anybody who slaps Steinberg wherever it feels the worst. :)

Anyway, Urs is a great programmer and a good guy, so I trust his decisions. However, LV2 is great and already included in Reaper [win/lin/mac] and Audacity [win/lin/mac]. I wonder why CLAP is better? Does anybody know?

@BuntyMcCunty FAP sounds better, indeed... :rofl: FAP plugin standard. Rescan all your FAP plugins. Reload that FAP plugin... etc.:rofl: Did you do that on purpose? :lol:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  21. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I thought the same. But if LV2 is also an old standard I could see the reasoning.